• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

1st Batch Failed, What To do

My first Batch Fail to Germinate Its been such a long time I plan On Putting another Batch but with The Low amount of seeds I want to Wait, but Should I? the Temperature Hitting the Heat Mat is pretty warm but at the Soil were the Seed is at its pretty warm and I think the Seeds Rot, I Planted most of My seeds but I cant look at all to see if all Rot, Should I Keep waiting or Get My Hands On a Bit More Seeds? The only ones that Germinated were the Choc. Habs with 100% Germination(not on the Pic)
2012-02-21200225.jpg

I have no thermostat but the Soil is way below 70s its been about 1 Month and I had a Plastic wrap ontop of it, but as 1 Yellow 7 Pot was about to come up it just curled up and died as it turned yellowish

ive been looking for ways to bump the Heatmat Temps up but I cant seems to find a good way

I have no thermostat but the Soil is way below 70s its been about 1 Month and I had a Plastic wrap ontop of it, but as 1 Yellow 7 Pot was about to come up it just curled up and died as it turned yellowish

ive been looking for ways to bump the Heatmat Temps up but I cant seems to find a good way
To moist maybe? How often were you watering them?

Give em a spray with a water bottle when they start to get dry. Cover them with plastic. If your growing super hots especially the soil temp needs to be 82-85. it can be less then 82 but if way below 70's you need to warm it up some how. If you dont have a seedling heat mat find the most consistantly warm surface in your house and set the seed tray on it!

keep the plastic on! as soon as you see a hook or hooks remove them and put them right under your grow light!

I do have a heat mat just it stays more in the cold temps I will retry with the few seeds I got and if they work ill be pampering them lol

soil looks WAY too wet. should only mist with spray bottle when soil looks really dry. should keep covered and keep temp at 85. other than that, try to keep things clean and be patient. some of mine took 6 weeks but most popped within 8-21 days. good luck

Well Thanks for the advice but YOu guys think i should just try and get more seeds or Just Wait, and What if I wait and my seeds are all Rotten?

Hey bro...I only had a couple varieties that didn't germ and I just put a few more of each in a small plastic dish on a moist paper towel. I germinated the rest of mine in the jiffy pellets, but since these are giving me a hard time I decided to try it this way. I use this technique all the time to see if seeds are viable. I tried about 100 pequine seeds out of a batch of dried pods I bought in the store and actually got a couple to germ...

will save you from having to plant and water several containers and keep them covered etc...just throw them in, keep them warm and see what happens!

Hey bro...I only had a couple varieties that didn't germ and I just put a few more of each in a small plastic dish on a moist paper towel. I germinated the rest of mine in the jiffy pellets, but since these are giving me a hard time I decided to try it this way. I use this technique all the time to see if seeds are viable. I tried about 100 pequine seeds out of a batch of dried pods I bought in the store and actually got a couple to germ...

will save you from having to plant and water several containers and keep them covered etc...just throw them in, keep them warm and see what happens!
Paper Towl you say? I once tryed it but no luck, can you give me good explanation to make sure I do it right this time.

I use a piece of damp or really almost wet paper towel (or coffee filter) in the bottom of a plastic gladware container throw the seed on top of the paper towel put the top on and keep them warm. Under your grow lights, near a heater vent or on top of the fridge. Then check them every day and see if any start to show roots. If they do carefully transfer them into soil making sure that everything you use is nice and clean to prevent contaminating the roots. That's it! Pretty good way to figure out if your seeds are good because you can put a bunch in there to give yourself a really good shot at success.

Good luck,
Shane

I don't think you should let the temperature go below 70! From my experience peat with a lid gets you seedlings way faster than the paper towel method (which has been my main method for years). I've just switched to peat and lid. The early jalapenos only took 4 days to become seedlings. Then the white and red habaneros only took about 5 days. All of the red habs, white habs, and early jalapenos became seedlings. 6 days for devil's tongue, bih jolokia, and some more. My Bhut jolokias and Trinidad Scorpions are going to pop today on day 7. I kept the temperature between 80-85 the best I could (sometimes It'd get in the high 80s and I'd have to cool it off). I have extra seeds in paper towels and ziplock bags, but they don't grow half as fast. I still have not gotten a seedling out of them (should get one tomorrow that was planted).

Edit: I had the "greenhouse" with peat in indirect sunlight for passive solar heat because I don't have any heat mats. I'm very suprised. I was expecting to start seeing seedlings in a week and even more time for the bhut jolokias and Trinidad scorpion Butch Ts.

PS:

A cover on those trays will bump the heat up. You could also try to move them in indirect sunlight with the cover if it's still not hot enough. I'm not sure why some of your peppers turned yellow and died! My little seedlings became very healthy with the lid on. I have the lid off now because I don't want their cells being so wet and the humidity being very high. Maybe there was too much water in their cells.

I don't think you should let the temperature go below 70! From my experience peat with a lid gets you seedlings way faster than the paper towel method (which has been my main method for years). I've just switched to peat and lid. The early jalapenos only took 4 days to become seedlings. Then the white and red habaneros only took about 5 days. All of the red habs, white habs, and early jalapenos became seedlings. 6 days for devil's tongue, bih jolokia, and some more. My Bhut jolokias and Trinidad Scorpions are going to pop today on day 7. I kept the temperature between 80-85 the best I could (sometimes It'd get in the high 80s and I'd have to cool it off). I have extra seeds in paper towels and ziplock bags, but they don't grow half as fast. I still have not gotten a seedling out of them (should get one tomorrow that was planted). Edit: I had the "greenhouse" with peat in indirect sunlight for passive solar heat because I don't have any heat mats. I'm very suprised. I was expecting to start seeing seedlings in a week and even more time for the bhut jolokias and Trinidad scorpion Butch Ts. PS: A cover on those trays will bump the heat up. You could also try to move them in indirect sunlight with the cover if it's still not hot enough. I'm not sure why some of your peppers turned yellow and died! My little seedlings became very healthy with the lid on. I have the lid off now because I don't want their cells being so wet and the humidity being very high. Maybe there was too much water in their cells.

Yeah...my peat pellets popped really fast for me as well. They only reason I ever use the paper towels is to find out if I have good seeds because I can throw in a bunch of them and see what moves without having to waste time or money on peat pellets and planting them. That is another good suggestion though, insead of going with the soil or paper towel, you could go with pellets which are fairly cheap. You don't even need a jiffy type germ station for them. I have used basically the same as the paper towel method placing jiffy pellets in a plastic container with a lid under my lights when I ran out of space in my germ tray...works great. The soil you are using could be the problem, causing the seeds to rot, and this would fix that.

Temp is also key, so you really need to get that dialed in to give yourself the best chance for success.

Good luck man!
I really hope one of these suggestions gets them to move for you.

Shane

go to walmart and buy a cake tin with a plastic lid... that's what i'm using right now... i have about 4 of them... i've been doing both dixie cups and egg flats with soil to germinate...

i also have a 70W reptile heat bulb over both trays for heat... get a thermometer and see how far apart to get the tray around 80°F...

HTH...

I Have a Large amount of Dixie cups and that is one of the Best Frugal way to start Seeds, I put some Jiffy Pellets in a dixie cup and add water to the cup and the Jiffy would absorb the water from the bottom, nice way of starting it, and I have a incubator bulb for eggs 70W so that work real well till it burn some seedlings so i switch to the heat mat 17W

Back