• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds SEEDS!

Hi-
With winter on the horizon, I am thinking of starting some peppers from seeds.
Can anyone offer any suggestions? I was thinking of just planting some habanero seeds in a 4 ft. planter and see what happens...

Well, the trick to starting pepper seeds is to keep 'em warm and moist, not wet. You want the soil temp to be around 70 F for best germination. After they germinate, they'll need a good light source. Everyone has a favorite way to set up artificial lights, I just use florescent shop lights.

When you say a 4 ft planter, what do you mean? Is it one of those long, narrow planters that are about 4 or 5 inches deep and 6 wide? If it is, once the plants get going, you're probably going to need to transplant them into a deeper pot.

Yeah, it's about 6" deep by 4' long, but now that you mention it, I have some pretty big pots that might work out better.

I have a room in my house that gets alot of sun.. maybe I can keep the pots there? would that be enough light?

Well, what's "a lot of sun"? Does it get 4, 5, 6 hours of direct sun? If it gets at least 6 and you have it right up next to the window, you'll probably do ok with no artificial lights.

Back