• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Plant is becoming less productive, sick plant?

I need help on this, guys. So, my plants have been doing great until about 3 weeks ago. Now, the flowers are constantly dropping before they even bloom, and the leaves are slowly dying off. Also, parts of the stem seem to turn color and have a slightly softer texture to it, like this:

dsc00325r.jpg

I have no idea what this could be. A deficiency? pH related? My plants have been drinking vast quantities of water recently too. I have to water once a day, because if I don't, the soil becomes bone dry! This wasn't the case a few weeks back. I need help this time, anyone know what's wrong?

well, they aren't getting something they need or getting too much of something....I know... :doh:

first thing I would say is what has changed in the last three weeks?...you said you were watering more often which makes me think they are staying too wet...I assume you are growing in containers....if you can get to the bottom of the containers, stick your finger in one of the holes and see how wet it is....your soil can be bone dry on the top and sopping wet on the bottom...

well, they aren't getting something they need or getting too much of something....I know... :doh:

first thing I would say is what has changed in the last three weeks?...you said you were watering more often which makes me think they are staying too wet...I assume you are growing in containers....if you can get to the bottom of the containers, stick your finger in one of the holes and see how wet it is....your soil can be bone dry on the top and sopping wet on the bottom...

I am. These containers are well ventilated, they are Air Pot knockoffs. When I lift the pot when it's dry, it's seriously like half as light! The top is bone dry, and I can't dig more than a centimeter down, because the entire soil is colonized by roots! I doubt it's only the top, because when I let the soil dry, the entire plant droops as if it were nearly dead! One thing I've done recently is that I've opened the top vent, to cool the room and to lower the humidity. Could this be the reason why? Does the humidity have to be high in order to sustain growth/flowering?

And thing is, my Bhut Jolokia has been dropping flowers too, but the leaves are just fine! It's also producing new flowers, as opposed to the TS pictured here. I'm wondering if it's my high pH tap water that's causing this. I think I'll test a few things out.
First, I will close the opened vents to see if it changes the water consumption, then, if that doesn't fix it, I'll test the water out.

Agreed - sounds like one of the problems is that you're overwatering at this point. Typically the leaves and/or plant will become a yellowish green when that's going on, instead of a deep green. Also, hard to tell from the lighting, but it seems to me you've got something growing on the surface of the stems. Basically, seems like you've got multiple issues going on. Do you have a pH tester?

Specifically, I think I see algae growing on your plant - bright green. If so, you'll need an anti-fungal, possibly more.

Agreed - sounds like one of the problems is that you're overwatering at this point. Typically the leaves and/or plant will become a yellowish green when that's going on, instead of a deep green. Also, hard to tell from the lighting, but it seems to me you've got something growing on the surface of the stems. Basically, seems like you've got multiple issues going on. Do you have a pH tester?

Specifically, I think I see algae growing on your plant - bright green. If so, you'll need an anti-fungal, possibly more.

The bright green spots are bumps. I've had this specific issue for months now, but it didn't seem to have any ill effects on the plants. I've also got edema on my new leaves. It does seem to be overwatering, from the symptoms, but how does that explain why my soil is going dry so fast? I don't think the water could evaporate THAT fast from the soil.

I think I'll try the anti-fungal though. Could you suggest me a product?

Here's an image of the entire plant. I'm also curious about the crinkling leaves. No amount of cal-mag has solved this problem, so I think it's pH related. Or is this also a sign of overwatering?

dsc00326ts.jpg

The leaves "crinkling" could be mild fert burn - back off on the nuts a bit, too.

Some plants naturally uptake water faster than others. But sometimes when you overwater, any plant will uptake too fast, almost like it's trying to dry itself out.

Oh - and know that if you're overwatering, the already-yellowed leaves won't get green again, but the new growth will start coming out better.

Agree on the time to move up in pot size. When you can't get your finger more than in inch into the growing medium baby things be TIGHT!

I think the stem thing might just be the start of lignification (I think that's the term). In other words it is growing "bark" or getting "woody"(insert joke here).

I think the stem thing might just be the start of lignification (I think that's the term). In other words it is growing "bark" or getting "woody"(insert joke here).

may be true, but the question I have is does the stem get "softer" when it is growing "bark"....I would think it gets harder...

That, plus the seeming brightness is why I was thinking algae. Or maybe lichen. Don't know if "soft" means texture or weakness of the stem in that spot......

I wouldnt use those air hole pots! To much air seems to dry out your soil, thus leading to you over watering them! I have a strong feeling that it is the pot. So, my suggestion is to transplant into a larger pot without all them holes. Also, with larger pots you dont have to water as much anyways. ;)

We have had monsoon rain for over a month...and some of my beauties started looking exsactly like yours. Which leads me to beleive its wet feet thats the issue with your plants. I'm not to worried as I've had this issue the last rain season we had here. Let em dry and they drop all the crappy leaves and shoot new healthy ones.

Back