• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Booma's First Grow Log

Thought i start a grow log. First time growing from seeds, have had habaneros and birds eye in the past but were all bought as seedlings from the nursery.
I have 8 varieties that i am trying... to grow they are:

Dorset Naga 3/3
7 Pot 1/3
Bih Jolokia 0/3
Chocolate Habanero 1/3
Black Pearl 0/3
Black Prince 1/3
Explosive Ember 0/3
Costa Rica 2/3

Having not much experience in this field at all i have tried to keep the plan fairly simple and we'll see how it goes. Total of 24 seeds were to be planted. I soaked 3 seeds of each variety for a few hours first then planted them in jiffy pellets and put them inside the mini greenhouse on a heat mat. Unfortunately the heat mat has no thermostat but sits most of the time at 10deg above ambient.
SDC11071.jpg

They have been in there for about 3 weeks, 6 seeds have germinated and been potted up and two more are just breaking the surface. The three nagas are potted, 1 costa, 1 7pot and 1 black prince.
SDC11073.jpg

SDC11072.jpg

So thats where we are at the moment. They are all located on the window sill which gets good sunlight for the majority of the day. I am planning on getting some lights but i thought i would keep it very very basic and cheap at the moment and see what happens.

Nice start,

I don't use a thermastst anymore, since I use a few mats at a time. I found by placing an old towel over the mat helps diffuse and buffer the heat enough to keep it moderately warm all the time with no hot spots.
Nice start with your indoor grow.

Greg

Forgot about that the mini green house as a kit, came with a towel that is between the heat mat (which is built into the base) and the seed trays, but i still think there may be hot/cold spots. As the seeds that have already germinated have all been from the corners

Forgot about that the mini green house as a kit, came with a towel that is between the heat mat (which is built into the base) and the seed trays, but i still think there may be hot/cold spots. As the seeds that have already germinated have all been from the corners

If that's the case and since you're using "jiffy's" just move the plugs around

Greg

good comment Greg! I tried the towel heat mat trick you recommended to me and it worked great! :)

Nice looking plants Booma! Good luck with your grow!!!

You're off and running, Booma! Great start for your first
attempt at growing from seed. The germinator kit looks
like it's working great. Have fun and good luck!

Back