• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SETHSQUATCH GROW BIG LOG WITH puny hammer

Ok. I'm in the ring. This is really my first year growing from seed and may as well be my first year ever. Last year we had a bag garden (which was pretty weak), and Justaguy contributed a couple of bucket plants later in the season (awesome).

So, just to get this out in the open early, I'm a little OCD. DANGER PLANTS! DANGER! FLEE FROM THE FURRY ONE! My natural tendency is to, well, let's just call it over-love my plants. "You like fertilizer? Well you'll love it straight from the bottle!"

One of my bigger hurdles is to just let the plants do their thing. I mean, I have grown up in a culture of drive-thru instant gratification, which doesn't exactly breed patience… But I'm working on it. Trying to tread gently through the grow instead of STOMP STOMP TEAR BREAK YELL. So far, so goodish?

Well I currently have 93 babies and about that many more in the germination station. Did I mention I like to go all out when starting a project? Does my car need a ejector seat and a rocket engine? Absolutely. Do I need cybernetic appendages and the ability to shoot lasers from my eyes? Most definitely.

Sooooooo. 93 plants. Alive and growing under lights. Here is my count as of this morning.

Scorpion (Moruga) (Justaguy)- 11
Scorpion (Butch T) (Alphaeon by way of Jstaguy)- 7
Brain Strain
(Justaguy) - 1
Yellow 7 pot/pod (Justaguy) - 3
Douglah (cmpman) - 8
Fatalii (Pepper Guru)- 8
Avery Island Tabasco - 4
Thai Fire
(Justaguy) - 13
Caribbean Red Habanero (Justaguy) - 26
Aji Yellow (Aji Joe) - 6
Naga x 7 pot/pod cross (Justaguy) - 1
Chinese Cabbage, Autumn Torch Hybrid - 3
Unknown pepper - 4

Here is a list of what's in the germination station right now.

Bhut Indian Carbon x Yellow 7 cross (Spicegeist by way of MJdiamond)
Criolla De Cocina (MJdiamond)
Biker Billy Jalapenos
Tabasco
Early Girl Tomatoes
Genovese Basil
Cilantro
Broccoli
Chinese Cabbage Autumn Torch Hybrid

Poblano
Cayenne
Hot Cherry
Dill
Nu mex

My initial germination of the first round of seedlings was done in peat pellets. They came with the tray so I figured I'd use them. NEVER AGAIN. Those things were a real pain in the ass to keep properly moistened. As soon as I could, I removed my sprouts from them and transferred into seed starting mix. Lost a few on the way but nothing to worry about. It's pretty likely I will be sharing some of these plants with some friends the way it is.

I kept my light on 24/7 for the first 2 weeks and then switched to an 18/6 cycle. Right now I am top watering and misting as needed. I was told that top watering helps get rid of all the bad buildups in the soil. Don't know if that's true or not, but whatever. I am trying to base my watering on tray weight. For nutrients I am using Pro Bloom, Liquid Karma, and a weekly compost tea brewed for 24 hours with an air stone in a bucket. All of my water also sits out for at least 24 hours before use to eliminate any chlorine.

Now, I really want to switch soil at this point but I am going to resist. For one, it costs more than I can swing right now.

My setup has evolved from one 2 bulb light fixture to a modified in ceiling fluorescent donated and wired by Justaguy. I drilled some holes, added u-bolts, and used carabiners and chains to hang the fixture from the bar in the closet. This way I can adjust as needed for light height. I can raise one side higher as well if necessary, which is also nice. I have some reflective film on the back wall and closet door to help recapture and reflect some of that escaping light. That's it. My setup.

Here are some pics. I will update with a million questions, and progress as I am able. My next post will probably be showing my outside grow area once the damn rain stops and I can snap some pictures. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Initial setup:

Upgrade:

Peppers 2/29/12 (just one tray but they are pretty similar):

I knew you were a closet grower. Lookin awesome bro, and as usual, very entertaining read!

Thanks Scovie. Hope you get some peppers in the dirt this year man!

Good luck on your grow this season! Nice looking list...

Shane

Shane, I'm gonna need all the luck I can get. I'm all thumbs and not the green kind...

Sounds like a good list...good luck to you this season seth! See you again at Bowers?

xo Nicole

Hell yes! I can't wait to see you all at Bowers. Will you be bringing a full stock of sauces? I have some in particular I want to get my hands on from HBD. Also, my super awesome wife and son will hopefully be along. As well as some out of towners coming specifically for the fest. I can hardly wait. Gotta pinch some pennies for that damn fest though. Last year I think I spent over $200.00 dollars without blinking an eye...

Awesome!! Yeah its really easy to drop a lot of cash. We will have our full line of products including our two newest editions, 1776 beverage company and bell river brand (more every day use hot sauces)! Hope you come over and try all our new sh8t

xo

Lookin good. I may have to hit you up for some of your plant love juice. :rofl:

You will have to put some out for adoption or re-purpose your front yard.

You are in the good company of very many OCD types here!

Good list—You can't go wrong with Caribbean Red for serious backup. I like you light set-up, too.

Your babies look real happy. Good luck with your grow!

Nice looking list with a wide heat spectrum and your seedlings are coming great. Good luck trying to keep those Criolla de Cocina under control, I just noticed some buds forming on mine and it's only about 35 days old! The credit for that Bhut IC x Yellow 7 goes to Spicegeist, I was just passing along extra seeds for him.

Lookin good. I may have to hit you up for some of your plant love juice. :rofl:

You will have to put some out for adoption or re-purpose your front yard.

I think you saw me do the plant love juice dance when I first saw your garden last year. Oh, and every time after that too.

You are in the good company of very many OCD types here!

Good list—You can't go wrong with Caribbean Red for serious backup. I like you light set-up, too.

Your babies look real happy. Good luck with your grow!

Thanks, I really appreciate the company. :lol:
I am very much enjoying growing and the time I spend with the plants. Even last year with my bag garden I would sit outside and just enjoy being near them.

Nice looking list with a wide heat spectrum and your seedlings are coming great. Good luck trying to keep those Criolla de Cocina under control, I just noticed some buds forming on mine and it's only about 35 days old! The credit for that Bhut IC x Yellow 7 goes to Spicegeist, I was just passing along extra seeds for him.

Thanks Matt! I corrected the info above.
Still waiting on germination for them babies. You get any of the cross to pop yet?

Nice start for a closet grow, your plants will be the right size when you move them outdoors. Years back I used a closet as a grow area, Two large plants, lots of flowers no peppers though........must a been to hot in there, had to move the plants elsewhere...

Good luck with your outdoor planting........It's good to have a grower like Brian nearby........to help out!

Greg

Thanks Matt! I corrected the info above.
Still waiting on germination for them babies. You get any of the cross to pop yet?

So far 2 of them have germinated, one three days ago and one yesterday. I think that was only about 5 days for the first one; pretty quick for a chinense! Yours shouldn't be too far behind.

You'll have to stand in line with your OCD....i nearly cared mine to death the first "big grow year"(oh and it wasn't really that big, I just thought it was til I found this place, and I think I almost pestered Patrick to death haha) ...taken em out side every day ,movin' with the sun, uh oh , a yellow leaf time for chemicals, they need more light, less light , fungus gnats holy hell!!!! I was even drivin around Houston with starters in my "not a truck" during the day,and under a little halogen light in the hotel room at night......I'm sure they thought I growing something that causes hunger pangs , not mouth pains. You'd be amazed what a little neglect can do for those little guys sometimes...hehe..but I mean that seriously!Looks like you got a good start........
...and well, you do realize you're gonna have to come out of the closet soon..haha! Good luck man...and since you help Brian, he's gotta help you!

haha yeah - the trick is to neglect them just the right amount....

My mom is the same way that you are... She wants to water the pepper plants 2hrs a day, every day... It took me a while to convince her that they like things a little dryer than she wants them to be... a few minutes every few days is sufficient, and keeps her water bill down.

Nice start for a closet grow, your plants will be the right size when you move them outdoors. Years back I used a closet as a grow area, Two large plants, lots of flowers no peppers though........must a been to hot in there, had to move the plants elsewhere...

Good luck with your outdoor planting........It's good to have a grower like Brian nearby........to help out!

Greg

Brian has taught me everything about this hobby/passion/obsession. Of course I supplement all that knowledge with a healthy dose of THP reading... I am really fortunate to have some knowledgeable folks nearby with experience.

So far 2 of them have germinated, one three days ago and one yesterday. I think that was only about 5 days for the first one; pretty quick for a chinense! Yours shouldn't be too far behind.

Sweet! The waiting is the hardest part.

You'll have to stand in line with your OCD....i nearly cared mine to death the first "big grow year"(oh and it wasn't really that big, I just thought it was til I found this place, and I think I almost pestered Patrick to death haha) ...taken em out side every day ,movin' with the sun, uh oh , a yellow leaf time for chemicals, they need more light, less light , fungus gnats holy hell!!!! I was even drivin around Houston with starters in my "not a truck" during the day,and under a little halogen light in the hotel room at night......I'm sure they thought I growing something that causes hunger pangs , not mouth pains. You'd be amazed what a little neglect can do for those little guys sometimes...hehe..but I mean that seriously!Looks like you got a good start........
...and well, you do realize you're gonna have to come out of the closet soon..haha! Good luck man...and since you help Brian, he's gotta help you!

THAT. IS. AWESOME. gnslngr - you get me. :lol:
I love the driving around town idea! Getting some good sun through the windows. Hmmm.

Looking good my friend! Way to keep those babies happy!!! :)

Thanks megahot. I'm trying. First year jitters suck. I will feel even better once I get some of these babies in the ground, or will I?

haha yeah - the trick is to neglect them just the right amount....

My mom is the same way that you are... She wants to water the pepper plants 2hrs a day, every day... It took me a while to convince her that they like things a little dryer than she wants them to be... a few minutes every few days is sufficient, and keeps her water bill down.

That's awesome. I just noticed my electric bill has gone up 50 dollars. Have to grow in the basement = space heater. If I grow anywhere else in the house my son or the cat will kill EVERYTHING. So, I guess it's a necessary sacrifice since I can't kill the cat or kennel the kid. :whistle:

Looking good Seth!!! 93 babies wow you are ambitious for your first big grow.... good luck! Hopefully it all grows big healthy and strong :)

Back