Hello from MA

Hello from Massachusetts! I'm happy to find this forum - I just recently started growing chili peppers and making my own hot sauce. This year I grew 2 Thai varieties, Jalapeno and Poblano. I've bought seed for next year for Habanero and Serrano plus a couple of sweet peppers, Cubanelle and Yellow Banana. It's an addiction, for sure.

Hi! I checked out your grow list - impressive! Help me out, tho. I have heard that habaneros and scotch bonnets are the same? Am I just gullible?
This year I found that my peppers did much better in self-watering containers [homemade earthboxes] than either in the ground or pots. I'd be very interested in your growing methods.
Thanks!

Welcome from South Carolina!

Habanero is a general name for some varieties of pepper from the species C chinense. There are Chocolate habaneros, Orange habaneros, Caribbean REd habaneros, etc. ; and there are more in that species that are referred to as habanero types. A Scotch Bonnet is a variety of pepper in the species chinense that is a habanero-type pepper.

So, while a Scotch Bonnet can be loosely described as a habanero, it's a distinct variety, just as Australian Lantern habaneros and Red Savina habaneros are.

Have I hopelessly confused you, or does that help?

Thanks, Pam! Just a little confused - so many peppers, so little time! I thought I was in trouble with the heirloom tomatoes!

welcome to the boards! i'll trade you weather, then you can grow all year. :party:

Pam said:
Habanero is a general name for some varieties of pepper from the species C chinense. There are Chocolate habaneros, Orange habaneros, Caribbean REd habaneros, etc. ; and there are more in that species that are referred to as habanero types. A Scotch Bonnet is a variety of pepper in the species chinense that is a habanero-type pepper.

are they all considered subspecies? or just regional variants of the same species? in tarantulas, there are cases of both subspecies that are very similar, and also regional color variants. taxonomy is fun! :onfire:

xgrafcorex said:
are they all considered subspecies? or just regional variants of the same species? in tarantulas, there are cases of both subspecies that are very similar, and also regional color variants. taxonomy is fun! :P

I don't think any of the habs or hab-types are subspecies, but I don't know that for sure. I have read some articles that questioned if some of the listed species of peppers are subspecies rather than distinct, separate species; but I've never read of a habanero's species designation being questioned. The Bhut Jolokia is the only one I've read about being DNA tested to confirm species.

Back