• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pimenta Tiger and Pimenta Elisa

I'm curious about how this cross is developing, anyone growing it this year? Any pics of the parent you saved seed from? I think I'll make a few Pimenta da Neyde crosses myself this year too.

Any pics of the Elisa? I saw the tiger pics last year and from what I read it wasn't 100% stable yet. The pods that had the tiger striping were absolutely gorgeous though.

I thaught I had seeds for piment Elisa from 2 different sources last year.

One plant was green and put out ripe pods that were striped red with orange /pink/flesh coloured stripes .

One was a dark leaved plant that put out black pods that were red and black striped when ripe.

Can't post pics right now...they aren't worth hassling with on this computer.

See my post below.

I got seeds for piment Elisa from 2 different sources last year.

One plant was green and put out ripe pods that were striped red and and orange /pink/flesh coloured .

The other was a dark leaved plant that put out black pods that were red and black striped when ripe.

Can't post pics right now...they aren't worth hassling with on this computer.

Will you be growing saved seed from those this year too?

The pimenta tiger AISPES and the pimenta elisa AISPES are varieties that are trying to stabilize ....

The seeds are distributed only among the AISPES members to prevent them from being circulated varieties not yet stable, because it is not our intention to sell seeds .... they'll give when the stabilization will be completed

Pimenta tiger AISPES

21.09%20025.jpg

Smokemaster who gave you the seeds?

What generation are you up to at this point? I think I'll also make a Neyde x Bhut cross this year. What characteristics are you selecting for? Foliage, productivity or just pod appearance?

Italy is a beautiful country... I spent some time in the north - Milan, and further north (but not much ;) )

I would like to go back some time - perhaps in winter, and see more of the country, and some of the places to the south.

I am willing to help grow out the pepper... I have a few F1s and F2s in my garden... I do not mind selecting for different things in accordance with your plans. I would also pay for postage both ways (though I am sure that is not cheap). How would one go about joining this group? Or if its easier, I could just help by growing out some for you?

What generation are you up to at this point? I think I'll also make a Neyde x Bhut cross this year. What characteristics are you selecting for? Foliage, productivity or just pod appearance?

Pimenta elisa AISPES F4
Pimenta tiger AISPES F3

The Pimenta Elisa has these basic features

black leaves .... black branches .... immature fruit black .... mature fruit red / black ... high hotness (like Bhut) and size fruit large

The Tiger the striations in the color of the fruits

Italy is a beautiful country... I spent some time in the north - Milan, and further north (but not much ;) )

I would like to go back some time - perhaps in winter, and see more of the country, and some of the places to the south.

I am willing to help grow out the pepper... I have a few F1s and F2s in my garden... I do not mind selecting for different things in accordance with your plans. I would also pay for postage both ways (though I am sure that is not cheap). How would one go about joining this group? Or if its easier, I could just help by growing out some for you?

Thanks my friend

You must be subscribed to AISPES

Shipping of seeds is free

Marco, I know that this is an Elise/Tiger thread, but does an AISPES member get to choose the variety they desire or is it more of a "random" lottery?

Both are pretty amazing and were what brought me to look at AISPES a few months back.
There, I tied it all in.

The AISPES is an association for studying chile peppers. We don't sell seeds. We distribute seeds of some hybrids to our members with he purpose to stabilize them and/or rare wild species . Each member receiving seeds agree to publish in our forum a documentation of plants growing and to try to produce pure seeds from isolated pods. New members can receive only three varieties (their choice) in their firt year of membership (this limit is because in the past years we gave up to 20 varieties to some person and we didn't see them again)

Currently there are no seeds available of Pimenta tiger ... I do not remember if there are still of pimenta elisa

Generally all seeds are distributed among the members in the period November / December for indoor sowing

Pimenta elisa AISPES F4
Pimenta tiger AISPES F3

The Pimenta Elisa has these basic features

black leaves .... black branches .... immature fruit black .... mature fruit red / black ... high hotness (like Bhut) and size fruit large

The Tiger the striations in the color of the fruits

Thanks for the detail, sounds like a typical wish list between the two parents. F4 is pretty far along. Looking forward to seeing some pics this year.

After posting above I E mailed both the people that gave me seeds for their bhut X.

I've heard back from 1 person so far.

The seeds aren't from AISPES so they aren't Piment Elisa.

One is a Bhut X Piment De Neyde cross though that the person did themselves but the seeds I got weren't from isolated pods.

Maybe that is why the pods from this source were Red and flesh coloured.

Since the plant wasn't isolated it could have been crossed again with something else too.
I don't know how many generations or whatever the guy has grown these out for.
I really don't know much about them.
I do know mites loved them last season.

When I hear back from my other source I'll post whatever I find out about those seeds.

In the meantime,since at least 1 of the packs of seeds I have aren't AISPES seeds I'll just call them a Bhut cross.
I don't think AISPES would want me calling them Pimemt Elisa since the seeds aren't from them.

Looking at a pic of my pods,they aren't very close to the pic above except in colour.
Mine were blunt ended pods and had a different shape in general.
Pods were under 2 inches long , 1 - 1/4 in.+/-.

thanks smokemaster

We do not sell seeds and then we do not want to have the exclusivity of the name

prefer to only prevent the spreading varieties not selected in the stabilization path because it would only create a lot of confusion

thanks again

thanks smokemaster

We do not sell seeds and then we do not want to have the exclusivity of the name

prefer to only prevent the spreading varieties not selected in the stabilization path because it would only create a lot of confusion

thanks again

Good luck with eliminating confusion ;-)

I have an idea, let's say you make a new cross and call it Pimenta Elisa... call it 2898100A instead and give it to 2 people, when they grow it, will look like this:

Person 1, F2: 2898101B
Person 2, F2: 2898102B
Person 1, F3: 2898101C

No wait, that's probably more confusing :)

From what I understand - Translator is hard to understand - There was a grower that was crossing several Black/dark purple plants with Bhut Jolokia to get a possible black (not brown)podded Bhut several years ago.

They spread several versions of their seeds around to lots of different people.

If I remember right there were BhutXPiment De Neyde , BhutXBlack Prince,BhutX Black Cuban and a few more UNSTABLE crosses going around.
Only 1 I heard about successfully put out ripe , pure Black Bhut pods but it was very unstable.
I think it was a Piment De Neyde cross.

I got these from a guy I have traded with for several years from Europe.
He doesn't post or belong to this site.

Haven't heard back from my other seed source.
Haven't done more than a couple trades with them so I may not hear back from them.I don't know...

my English is bad ... and even google translator :D

The f2 was grown by about thirty members ... only one plant was chosen for the rest of the selection ... and so after

if all the plants that do not meet the characteristics you still call PIMENTA ELISA then the stabilization path you can not complete ... and creates confusion

Things like this are why I absolutely love AISPES. They are the world leaders in new hybrid strain creation and stabilization. They have unprecedented control over their genetics. Sometimes I wish we could do that more around the US but people are quick to hand out or ask for seeds. Genetics get all messy when that happens. Unfortunately I can't speak Italian!

Back