• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health What is wrong with me?

I can barely eat a hab without crying like a baby and getting explosive diarrhea. About a month ago I started reading this forum. I now have 72 plants (ten different varieties) of super hot pepper plants growing in my kitchen that I will never be able to eat without going to the emergency room. My wife is pissed. What is wrong with me?

Grind up the peppers into powder and use the powder on some of your cooking dishes, just don't use to much.
then eventually you will get used to the burn and can handle more.
Make some popcorn and sprinkle just a bit of powder on it, makes a different nice kick.

Welcome :welcome: and I Guess its the reason that You Still Love eating the Hot Stuff and Mabye Eating small amounts of super hots will get your tolerance Up, besides You can Use your Super Hots For Salsas, Like instead of Using 4 Habaneros for a salsa maybe you can only use 1 Super Hot and have a different Taste, That is one Reason Im Growing such a Variety

Not many people eat raw superhots by themselves...or really even raw Habs. I do on occasion, but not without a few consequences from time to time. As said above...powder them. Or sauce them. You can tame them a bit with different fruits, carrots, onions etc. Then as you get more able to handle it up the pepper content a bit.

yeah, same here, I usually stick about 20-30 habs in a relatively large batch of salsa, somewhat...and I can eat habs normally, but it still disagrees with my stomach if I eat more than a couple, the burn doesn't really bother me much anymore, .. and I credit that too the fact that I just kept adding more and more habs into the salsa I was making last summer, but eating the pepper raw tends to make my stomach a little "off" like I mentioned before, but I can eat a crap load of salsa and stuff and be fine,

and this year I plan on doing the same thing with the superhots lol.. should be fun, I got a bottle of pepto bismal (or however you spell it) for whenever my stomach feels like being a panzy haha

it's fun stuff

Thanks for your ideas! I must give a HUGE shout out to all you contributors to this forum as I never thought I could actually grow something from seed. And if I create a sauce or a meal from these pods and make a few new friends, my wife might see I'm not completely mad... just mostly mad.

Thanks for your ideas! I must give a HUGE shout out to all you contributors to this forum as I never thought I could actually grow something from seed. And if I create a sauce or a meal from these pods and make a few new friends, my wife might see I'm not completely mad... just mostly mad.
98% mad is a prerequisite for site membership. The other 2% is what lets us still have jobs and families...

I don't have a job or family...... :eek: What did you eat on a normal basis before you started trying to eat raw habs? How long have you been trying to eat habs? You just have to stick with it. Get some superhot sauce from someone on here. That and powder, :hell: definitely the best way to up your tolerance. Good Luck!

I've never eaten anything too spicy of all my 40 something years. Some jalapenos on my pizza from time to time. Then, a few months ago I was at my local grocery and saw these orange habs. I bought a few, diced them up and put them on some eggs. Wow they were hot! I almost couldn't eat the eggs. I realized how much of a pepper virgin I was. I tried a hab without cooking it. I thought I was going to die! A couple days later I had a craving for another. Next thing I know, I'm on this sight reading everything. This is a whole new world!

Haha I'm with you. I like jalapenos and franks hot sauce, that's about my extent to spicy food. I have eaten 2 raw habs in my life and I was in the same boat as you. Thought the pain would never end! I couldn't even imagin what a super hot pepper would feel like?

I just started growing some hot peppers a couple weeks ago and there are some super hots in the mix. I can't wait to try them, that is if I can get them to grow peppers. I may regret trying them but you have to at least once :)

Haha I'm with you. I like jalapenos and franks hot sauce, that's about my extent to spicy food. I have eaten 2 raw habs in my life and I was in the same boat as you. Thought the pain would never end! I couldn't even imagin what a super hot pepper would feel like?

I just started growing some hot peppers a couple weeks ago and there are some super hots in the mix. I can't wait to try them, that is if I can get them to grow peppers. I may regret trying them but you have to at least once :)
I've never eaten anything too spicy of all my 40 something years. Some jalapenos on my pizza from time to time. Then, a few months ago I was at my local grocery and saw these orange habs. I bought a few, diced them up and put them on some eggs. Wow they were hot! I almost couldn't eat the eggs. I realized how much of a pepper virgin I was. I tried a hab without cooking it. I thought I was going to die! A couple days later I had a craving for another. Next thing I know, I'm on this sight reading everything. This is a whole new world!

I've never eaten anything too spicy of all my 40 something years... This is why you cant handle habs and such! You have to work your way to the top if you want to play with the hot ones! :) Just start out with something kind of mild and go from there. You need to eat them often, other wise your heat tolerance will wear off

Is this turning into a nature vs nurture conversation? Are you sayin I have to nurture my way into heat tolerance? I wonder if I was born able to handle the hot stuff If I'd appreciate it so much..

Is this turning into a nature vs nurture conversation? Are you sayin I have to nurture my way into heat tolerance? I wonder if I was born able to handle the hot stuff If I'd appreciate it so much..

Thats exactly what I'm saying! Shoot when I was a teenager I couldnt even handle the heat of a jalapeno! last yr I worked on building my heat tolerance and was able to eat a butcht trinidad scorpion and a habalokia without any problems!

You just have a low tolerance. My tolerance is on the high side. It sucks because most restaurants do not serve anything that registers as hot to me. Even the Mexican restaurants, which is so disappointing! You can build your tolerance up. Cut up the regular orange habaneros and eat a little bit at a time. They taste very good on food imo (they also lose heat when cooked it seems). You can cut them in little rings. I sprinkle em on pizza for example. I eat raw scotch bonnets (sometimes I pay for it if I eat em on an empty stomach) and make my sauce out of pure scotch bonnets. I used to have a hard time with regular habaneros. don't eat chiles on an empty stomach. The explosive diarrhea is a sure sign you have surpassed your level. Pickled peppers are great too. I wonder if you can handle a few pickled Thai peppers. I eat them for the taste. One of my favorite peppers. I grow them (ate the whole seasons worth, lol) and they sell them pickled at an international market here.They are hotter than cayennes but not as hot as habaneros.

I don't think there is anything wrong with you.You can heat up a sauce or food with just a little bit of the superhots. Honestly, I don't think I'd fair too well eating any superhots! I'll probably be in a lot of pain and burn my arse. I guess your wife is pissed because she doesn't want you to hurt yourself. Just tell her you will eat them in moderation so you don't harm yourself. You can use a little superhot powder and gradually increase it as your tolerance goes up.

Oh boy! Maybe you should stick with the jalapenos for awhile and eat a few slices of orange habs here and there. You might even want to pickle hab slices so you don't waste any. The orange ones are not too hot to me. Just wait until you can taste their flavor! Orange habs taste great on pizza, potato skins with cheese and bacon etc.

my wife was pissed too!!! she says i pay more attention to my plants then her...she says first thing i do when i get home is check on my peppers and not acknowledge her.. which i doooooooooooooooo butttttttttttt i think i got my priorities straight! :evil: habs use to be hot as hell to me too ...build that tolerance! PAIN IS THE WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY ~SEMPER FI~

my wife was pissed too!!! she says i pay more attention to my plants then her...she says first thing i do when i get home is check on my peppers and not acknowledge her.. which i doooooooooooooooo butttttttttttt i think i got my priorities straight! :evil: habs use to be hot as hell to me too ...build that tolerance! PAIN IS THE WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY ~SEMPER FI~

Man, my gf is jealous of my pepper plants! Lol, is that an issue with everyone married/with a girlfriend? I remember when orange habs were hot as hell too.

I can barely eat a hab without crying like a baby and getting explosive diarrhea. About a month ago I started reading this forum. I now have 72 plants (ten different varieties) of super hot pepper plants growing in my kitchen that I will never be able to eat without going to the emergency room. My wife is pissed. What is wrong with me?

I'm the same way. I believe around here we're called "beginners." :rofl:

Man, my gf is jealous of my pepper plants! Lol, is that an issue with everyone married/with a girlfriend? I remember when orange habs were hot as hell too.

Yup, my wife is very jealous of my pepper plants! She says I spend more time with the plants then I do with her lol. (Not true!)

There is a pepper in the Seed Savers Exchange member yearbook that claims to not produce gastro discomfort. It is called Cabuchile. Sounds like a c. fruatscens as it says the pepper grow upright. But it says they are 'very hot'. I might try to get seeds next year.

lol you do realize you've just asked a forum full of people(if they are at all like me) that are more addicted than you are if your new found (healthy! Search for the health benefits of eating hot peppers) addiction Is a good thinghaha.... It's like asking the crack vendor to enable you lol. I guess I would fall the nurture side of things I grew up with pickled jalapeños on the table at every meal, along with a shaker bottle of crushed red pepper, and ground cayenne...

A few has ago I discovered orange Habs, and began devouring them... They were hot at first - still are to some degree, but adjusted very quickly... Last year I started growing my own peppers, and make a kind of pepper salsa ( not. a great word for it... It's purée of habanero) that I eat on most every meal by the tablespoon full.

I recently found a source for fresh Congo Trinidad's and am loving those too.

Growing about 50 varieties (currently, with ~70 or so more on their way)... I have 141 plants in the ground, and 136 plants in foam coffee cups... With a couple hundred more in the works.

Back