The Bitter Truth about Bitters

Bill and Lillian Buitenhuys are a great "foodie" couple, and like many foodie couples they are exploring their creative passion with a unique hobby. Gardening, urban poultry raising, canning preserves, or starting a honey beehive? Nope, they decided to create and bottle their own bitters. They started their venture AZ Bitters Lab.

I will be honest, I love bitters and adore bitters that are well-made. However, I despise poorly crafted bitter tinctures. For all the good bitters being crafted in the cocktail-crazed nation right now, there are extreme examples of out-of-balance garbage. Every bartender on the planet is making their own bitters, and let's just say some should stick to stirring cocktails. In the words of Professor David Wondrich, "Just because you can, does not mean you should."

I am happy to report that it is not the case with Bill and Lillian's AZ Bitters line up. They are mostly unique, and delicious. I especially love the Mas Mole #2, and I tasted it up against the Bitter End's Mexican Mole Bitters and I preferred Bill's hands down. I also enjoyed the Hopi Tea Bitters. The herb, Thelesperma megapotamicum, also known as Navajo or Hopi Tea makes a savory and herbaceous medicinal beverage that were a cure all for Askabathian and Puebloan people. I was first exposed to this plant from my hero Gary Paul Nabhan. When I was convivium leader of Slow Food Phoenix, we placed Greenthread Tea (the PC modern name) on the Ark of Good Taste. You can buy the tea at High Desert Farmers in Gallup.

I cannot wait to mix my AZ Bitters with various spirits to see what they do when mixed.I suspect when Bill sorts out logistics and commercial requirements AZ Bitters will be available for purchase. The future of the brand will be as bright as the label.

Back