• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil why is my soil turning green?

mold, nothin a little direct sunlight and not watering for a little while won't cure, we also have algae down here.

I get that green topping sometimes if I'm running a little moist overall. I poke and mix the greenish top crust with a toothpick on small containers and increase fan air duration. I usually bottom water, but last time I watered it in from the top--so far nothing has croaked.... :cool:

Keep some fans on the plants and avoid over watering! That will help prevent mold/fungus growth! Also, its better to water in the morning and when the humidity is low, if you water in the morning, your lights and fan/s will keep your potting mix from being to wet and getting fungus growth

Mine does it regularly, just turn it over with an implement of some sort (i use a screwdriver) just breaks up that moldy crust & gets some air in there, i live in a humid climate do you?

Edit: Is Toronto tropical? LoL

Mezo.

how old are your plants?....are they under a dome?

very first thing that comes to mind is high humididy level and temperature...

two quick fixes for the algae...sprinkle corn meal on the top (the gluten kills the baddies) or H[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]2 [/sub] at a 1 Tbsp/gallon rate...don't use the H[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub] unless you have to because it kills both beneficial and non-beneficial bacteria....

thanks! i just turned on my fan and the soil is dry but still green. i want to water from the bottom but how much water do i put into the cup? im using the small clear plastic cups.

Thanks
Nick

how old are your plants?....are they under a dome?

very first thing that comes to mind is high humididy level and temperature...

two quick fixes for the algae...sprinkle corn meal on the top (the gluten kills the baddies) or H[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]2 [/sub]at a 1 Tbsp/gallon rate...don't use the H[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub] unless you have to because it kills both beneficial and non-beneficial bacteria....

Correct me if I'm wrong.........Corn meal is Gluten free..........wheat, oats, barley have gluten

Greg

... i want to water from the bottom but how much water do i put into the cup? im using the small clear plastic cups.

To water from the bottom, put the water in a tray, not in the cup. Put the cup in the tray. Usually takes about 5 minutes, depending on how many holes in your cup and the type of medium. Let it soak until the moisture wicks up near the surface. (nice to have a cheap moisture probe thingie)

or H[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]2 [/sub] at a 1 Tbsp/gallon rate...don't use the H[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub] unless you have to because it kills both beneficial and non-beneficial bacteria....

I'll keep that in mind. I tried H2O2 this year without much success. Watering less helped clear up some issues.

I tried the corn meal and wish i never did that, only because "if " it gets wet it turns into like Cement when it dries and the plants cant push through it... also it seems to make the moss/fungus double worse...
I read that Ground Cinnamon helps but so far i still have the same problem you have...
I screwed up and didn't use Sterile starting soil and i think that was one of the main things that triggered the fungus.

I find that a little peat sprinkled on top of the soil helps a bit... Not only is it dry (when fresh), but it blocks out the sunlight, and the acidic ph should help knock the fungus out...

If its that damp then fungus gnats and other "baddies" could become a problem.

Back