13 replies to this topic

#1 dinick

dinick

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

i just noticed that the top of my soil is turning green? does anyone know why? if so what do i do?

#2 Prehensile

Prehensile

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

mold, nothin a little direct sunlight and not watering for a little while won't cure, we also have algae down here.

#3 Siliman

Siliman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

I get that green topping sometimes if I'm running a little moist overall. I poke and mix the greenish top crust with a toothpick on small containers and increase fan air duration. I usually bottom water, but last time I watered it in from the top--so far nothing has croaked.... :cool:

#4 megahot

megahot

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  • aka:theitalian556

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

Keep some fans on the plants and avoid over watering! That will help prevent mold/fungus growth! Also, its better to water in the morning and when the humidity is low, if you water in the morning, your lights and fan/s will keep your potting mix from being to wet and getting fungus growth
Chili head till I'm dead!!!!

#5 Mezo

Mezo

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
  • aka:Mez or Mezo

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:32 AM

Mine does it regularly, just turn it over with an implement of some sort (i use a screwdriver) just breaks up that moldy crust & gets some air in there, i live in a humid climate do you?

Edit: Is Toronto tropical? LoL

Mezo.

Edited by Mezo, 06 March 2012 - 03:33 AM.

A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion. www.photobucket.com/hotpepper

#6 AlabamaJack

AlabamaJack

On Fire!

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,361 posts
  • (x2)

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

how old are your plants?....are they under a dome?

very first thing that comes to mind is high humididy level and temperature...

two quick fixes for the algae...sprinkle corn meal on the top (the gluten kills the baddies) or H2O2 at a 1 Tbsp/gallon rate...don't use the H2O2 unless you have to because it kills both beneficial and non-beneficial bacteria....
AJ
"If people will learn to "listen" to their plants, they will tell you what they want". AlabamaJack

#7 dinick

dinick

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

thanks! i just turned on my fan and the soil is dry but still green. i want to water from the bottom but how much water do i put into the cup? im using the small clear plastic cups.

Thanks
Nick

#8 PIC 1

PIC 1

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

how old are your plants?....are they under a dome?

very first thing that comes to mind is high humididy level and temperature...

two quick fixes for the algae...sprinkle corn meal on the top (the gluten kills the baddies) or H2O2 at a 1 Tbsp/gallon rate...don't use the H2O2 unless you have to because it kills both beneficial and non-beneficial bacteria....

Correct me if I'm wrong.........Corn meal is Gluten free..........wheat, oats, barley have gluten

Greg

#9 stickman

stickman

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

If it's like mine... it's probably just algae. Nothing to worry about.

The Hot Pepper... If self-immolation is your goal... we're here to help! :hell:

#10 Siliman

Siliman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

... i want to water from the bottom but how much water do i put into the cup? im using the small clear plastic cups.

To water from the bottom, put the water in a tray, not in the cup. Put the cup in the tray. Usually takes about 5 minutes, depending on how many holes in your cup and the type of medium. Let it soak until the moisture wicks up near the surface. (nice to have a cheap moisture probe thingie)

#11 nicksmurf111

nicksmurf111

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

or H2O2 at a 1 Tbsp/gallon rate...don't use the H2O2 unless you have to because it kills both beneficial and non-beneficial bacteria....

I'll keep that in mind. I tried H2O2 this year without much success. Watering less helped clear up some issues.

#12 fishing4fun2

fishing4fun2

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

I tried the corn meal and wish i never did that, only because "if " it gets wet it turns into like Cement when it dries and the plants cant push through it... also it seems to make the moss/fungus double worse...
I read that Ground Cinnamon helps but so far i still have the same problem you have...
I screwed up and didn't use Sterile starting soil and i think that was one of the main things that triggered the fungus.

#13 nicksmurf111

nicksmurf111

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

I've microwaved soil before...not sure if it works 100%.

#14 jsschrstrcks

jsschrstrcks

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

I find that a little peat sprinkled on top of the soil helps a bit... Not only is it dry (when fresh), but it blocks out the sunlight, and the acidic ph should help knock the fungus out...

If its that damp then fungus gnats and other "baddies" could become a problem.
www.JssChrstRcks.com
www.ABondServant.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users