• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Has anyone grown the newly released "Dwarf Tomatoes" from the Dwarf Tomato Project?

Hey Gang,
The Dwarf Tomato project was headed up by Patrina and Craig from the Tomatopalloza festival and thanks to them we now have some really cool new varieties of tomatoes.
They grow 2' to 4' tall and are perfect for containers, patio gardening, Condo and apartment living, etc.
Most of them look and taste like the original larger tomato, but are smaller...although one variety grows up to a pound. Most have a thicker stem with greener, dense foliage.
Very cool tomatoes

For our Penny's Tomato business we've secured the 9 original tomato seeds (although a few more have been developed and are in scarce supply. We're growing them in our personal gardens and have some partners growing them for a large quantity of seeds.

The varieties that Penny and I have secured are Dwarf Jade Beauty, Dwarf Emerald Giant, Dwarf Beryl Beauty, Casady's Folly, Tazmanian Chocolate, Summertime Green, Summertime Gold, Roswella Purple (that we understand is a top seller and almos impossible to fine), Dwarf Wild Fred adn Dwarf Mr. Snow.
Even the names sound awesome, huh?

Anyway, we are way pumped and I wanted to see if anyone else is growing them and what your experiences have been. Would love to hear more. Penny just planted hers and we can post pics along the line if there is any interest.

Thanks,
Pepper Joe
:dance: :P :dance: :P :dance: :P

I used to grow a few varieties of dwarf tomato indoors during the winter, but outdoors they're more of a novelty than anything from what I've seen so far. Probably good for an apartment or very small yard

Joe, for seeds, how concerned are you that the F1 seeds will not grow true. they express it on their website but did mention the F2 had about a quarter of the seeds to be dwarf. do you believe you may have to grow out a couple of generation to get a stable dwarf?

thanks for the post and best of luck.

Burning Colon, we're kinda learning on this one as we go...but there are some reputable small seed vendors selling them, like Tatiana in Canada.
Would love to hear more or see pics AlphaHydroponics.
Thanks Guys,
Pepper Joe
:dance: :P :dance: :P :dance: :P

I am interested in seeing how these do.

I thought it might be cool to do something similar with peppers.

Not necessarily the dwarf thing, but the breeding collaboration....

Anyone interested?

I grew Rosella Purple last year. Tasty tomato. I'm also trying a few more this year. Dwarf Mr. Snow is one of them.

grew a dwarf called 'yellow balcony tomato' last year
brought the seed from a trip overseas
a foot, foot'n'a'half tall and producing like crazy

Back