• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

That's not a bulb ... That's a bulb

bulb.jpg

They are 85 watt 6500 k ... 350 watt eq

I got 4 of them ... from a photography studio shop on Amazon ... total of $50.

My Trinidad seedlings are bathing in retina searing splender ... :fireball:

I have been looking to replace my MH lamp with a big CFL. 115 watt CFL is about equal to 400 watt MH

Hey Chris, a 115W CFL isn't equal to a 400 W Metal Halide at least in terms of lumens. My 105 W CFL puts out about 7,200 lumens, but from what I've read, a 400 W Metal Halide produces about 32,000 lumens. My 2 105 W CFL's are doing a good job of producing plenty of light for my 54 cubic foot grow box, aside from a few plants that got wet feet, most of my plants are nice and green and none of them are leggy. If you want to conserve energy I'd definitely go for the CFL.
Steel-n-peppers: I had one of those 85W CFL's before I found 2 105W for $25 with free shipping. Your plants are going to love it and side by side it looks just as bright as the 105W bulbs.

Are those grow bulbs? I know standard bulbs have a coating put on them to take away harmfull uv rays to not hurt peoples eyes. I have used reg cfl from home depot too, but the grow bulbs are different.

Its 350w brightness comparison to an incandescent bulb, but a couple of those is more than strong enough for your peppers. Are those normal sockets? Thats kinda odd, but I guess it would be the same power pull. I would make sure that they get good heat dissapation since they're compact. 50 ducats is a great deal on price.

Hey Chris, a 115W CFL isn't equal to a 400 W Metal Halide at least in terms of lumens. My 105 W CFL puts out about 7,200 lumens, but from what I've read, a 400 W Metal Halide produces about 32,000 lumens. My 2 105 W CFL's are doing a good job of producing plenty of light for my 54 cubic foot grow box, aside from a few plants that got wet feet, most of my plants are nice and green and none of them are leggy. If you want to conserve energy I'd definitely go for the CFL.
Steel-n-peppers: I had one of those 85W CFL's before I found 2 105W for $25 with free shipping. Your plants are going to love it and side by side it looks just as bright as the 105W bulbs.

I stand corrected. At one time I had high hopes. now I just want enough light for my peppers and orchids without the electric bill

"I have been looking to replace my MH lamp with a big CFL. 115 watt CFL is about equal to 400 watt MH " That is not correct at all.

HID is the most economical lighting out. As in higher lumens per watt then any cfl could ever achieve.

I bought 4 LevIton Porcelain Lampholders for them ... 660 watts max

Mounted them each to a ceiling box ... Screwed into a 4' x 2' shelf ... And hung it from the ceiling with the chains that I had used for my shop lights last year.

Hung down some aluminum foil ... Leaving escapes for hot air ... Little fan going ...

I'm very pleased ... Last year I didn't get a great start indoors .. :(

When it's warm enough ... And the peppers go outside ...

I'm going to hang it in my little shop where I build pickups & steel guitars ...

It's freakishly bright ... :lol:

I stand corrected. At one time I had high hopes. now I just want enough light for my peppers and orchids without the electric bill

Sorry to dash your hopes! If you have a grow box to contain the light with some reflective material, I bet you'd have real good results even with a single CFL bulb. My 2 bulb 32W T8's were even able to produce pods on my Chili Chile (they grow upward so they get more light, my yellow trinidad scorpion is growing like a champ, but won't set pods under it). If you go with a CFL and want a mylar blanket to reflect the light, send me a pm. I have some left over that I'm not going to use and can hook you up.

Home depot's light selection is weak compared to Menards. I bought two 200W equivalent CFL's for 8.95 a piece. They put out 2800 lumens (5600 total) they had all different light temps too. 6500, 2700, 3500, 4000, 5000. I also was at Walmart and found these cake serving cardboard 1ft squares (about an 1/8 inch thick and 6 to a pack) for 4 bucks. The one side is covered in a reflective material. (No bends, folds or wrinkles) The mylar blankets will cover more space for less money (2.50 a blanket at Walmart) but they are hard to get flattened out and will never be wrinkle free. But I liked the solid flat surface of the cake serving squares and I didn't have to mess around with putting the mylar on them. You can look at my GLOG and see them in the box I built. I used them for the back of the box. the top and bottom, I used mylar wrapping paper. (which is even better than an emergency blanket in my opinion. It has a lot less wrinkles and is thicker)

I think fluorescents of all kinds are very popular because they are very safe to run. As the saying goes, safety first. I strongly agree with that statement.

Back