• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Horseradish Anyone?

OK...I went outside in humidity saturated, 70F weather this morning and decided to pull/dig up some horseradish and prepare it...

I didn't realize how big this root was when I started digging...there's no telling how much of it I left in the ground...

03-08-12007.jpg

instructions say to peel and dice the root...

03-08-12008.jpg

then process for 20-30 sdeconds in a cuisenart food processor..

03-08-12010.jpg

let sit for 3 minutes for maximum heat...less time for less heat...(don't ask me about more time since I don't know)...add vinegar and run processor for 20 seconds or until the consistency you want..

03-08-12013.jpg

I vacuum pack mine and refrigerate...if you don't have one of these food savers, you are missing out for long term storage..

03-08-12016.jpg

the results are 3 1/2 pint jars plus some to make cocktail sauce with...

03-08-12017.jpg

and let me tell you, this stuff is deliciously hot...more than any I have ever bought...gonna have boiled shrimp this afternoon but am testing it right now with some fish sticks...mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Most excellent! I've done similar with the horse root but I use the shredder attachment and also add some sugar to balance out he vinegar a bit. You're right about the vac packer. Had one for years and it has more than paid for itself many times over. Now you got me thinking fish stix!

Hot Stuff, are you whining about not getting started on the growing season yet? Horseradish is perennial, you can dig it up any time. Others have said it's best to dig it in the fall, but if you have an established patch, that's not so important. It can also be somewhat invasive, if not kept in a container, raised bed, etc.

AJ, that looks so good! now I'm jonesing for some fresh horseradish! Our patch is still under 2 feet of snow. :mope: And I was already thinking of cooking some shrimp for dinner~

I like to put a little mayonaise in with the vinegar. That makes it like the "prepared horseradish" from the store. For those who don't have a good food processor, slicing the root crosswise into thin disks helps to get it to a finer consistency.

Hot Stuff, are you whining about not getting started on the growing season yet? Horseradish is perennial, you can dig it up any time. Others have said it's best to dig it in the fall, but if you have an established patch, that's not so important. It can also be somewhat invasive, if not kept in a container, raised bed, etc.

No, I'm griping the wild horseradish isn't coming up yet. I'm not growing any in my yard/garden. Until it starts coming up, I can't find it.

AAhhh...I got it.

There is nothing better than fresh horseradish. Way hotter than the stuff in the store. I think I need to find a spot to grow some.

Anyone have a source for the roots? I've grown to love the "smack inna nose" heat. Been thinking of incorporating it into a hot sauce.

I don't believe that's technically true. I think it's more that the roots haven't grown very big yet. I'm sure you could sneak a little, but you don't want to harvest them all the first year, then the 2nd year there wouldn't be any. I think it takes 2-3 years to get them to a sustainable size where you can harvest some, and leave some to keep growing.

I could be wrong, so if someone knows otherwise, let me know.
SL

don't plant it if you may want to use the area for something else...once it is planted, it is very very hard to get rid of...I think this is the 2nd, maybe 3rd season for my plants....

Oh we've had it for about 25 years, it just hangs out in a little patch in our garden :) we've never dug it up and made it but this post just made me need a horseradish fixin'

I am sorely dissappointed that what I thought was horseradish growing in the empty lot is unfortunately something else with a yellow root. I guess I'll keep digging until I find the real thing. :)

I've been growing horseradish in a 20gal. pot for 20 yrs.
I don't water it for weeks before I dig it up.Makes it hotter I think.
Putting it in a pot doesn't insure it'll stay put.
The pot is on asphalt and the roots have made their way out the drain holes and through the asphalt.
Only way I know of to kill it is to overwater the places you don't want it to grow.The roots will rot out after staying wet too long.

I like chopping it up with dry mustard,vinegar and mayo for smoked beef sandwiches when I go fishing.

French roll,thin sliced smoked Beef(smoked rubbed down with garlic,onion and hot pepper inserted everywhere in the meat before smoking),horseradish spread,tomato,Avocado,pepper jack,sharp Cheddar.
Cold beverage and a couple peppers and lunch is served.

I don't think there is any "correct" ratio, but I'd guess we did-
2 cups pureed horseradish root
3-4 Tbsp white vinegar

(and I added 1/4 cup mayo to our batch to make it creamy like the store stuff)

and smokemaster...that lunch sounds soooooooo guuuud!

I used 3tbsp of vinegar to 2 cups of horseradish purée, 1 teaspoon of salt, then a tablespoon of cactus bee pollen. All my friends and a chef told me its the best horseradish they've ever eaten. I waited until it gave me a good 'ol sinus clearing slap in the face before adding the vinegar.

We ended up eating forkfuls of it and doing shots

Back