• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RocketMan's Glog - Starting Second Season

Finally getting around to germinating my seeds to start growing some peppers. I took 14 varities out of the 42 in my seed library (Special thanks to everyone that helped out with seeds) and some of the old pill bottles I had saved (usually that's where I keep the screws I collect when I strip out an old computer system) then added 8 seeds to the bottles and filled with water. Going to let the seeds soak for 24 hours, then place on coffee filters and back into the bottles till its time to plant them. Here's a shot on the bottles:

34e7f62d.jpg

The 14 I picked are:

1. Peruvian White Hab......................Pic1
2. Jamaican Hot Chocolate...............Pic1
3. Douglah......................................Pic1
4. Fatalii.........................................Pic1
5. Trinidad Scorpion Butch T............Pic1
6. Datil...........................................Pic1
7. Red Savina Hab..........................Pic1
8. Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnet......Pic1
9. Chocolate Hab............................Pic1
10. Black Hab................................Pic1
11. Trinidad Scorpion Yellow...........Pic1
12. 7/Pot Red................................Pic1
13. Bhut Jolokia.............................Pic1
14. No heat Jalapeno.....................FyrDad4
*Thank you Gentlemen

I really wanted to get a nice cross section of heat levels and to grow some peppers that I hear alot of talk about but can't find locally. most of them will be going into sauces however if I happen to get a really good crop of peppers I might have to look into drying some and making some powders. This is the first year that I'm growing peppers from seeds. I've planted Jalapeno and Habs that I picked up from Lowes or Home Depot before but never really done the research and gotten the dirt under my fingers.
I thought about whether to use Peat Pellets or Rock Wool but right now i'm thinking about just going with some good soil or a seed starting mix and I already have a bunch of Red Solo Cups. I'm planning on 6 or 8 holes in the bottom of the cup so I can bottom water them and I might place some up and down the sides so that some air can get in.

I'm really looking forward to this and if it goes good I might even be able to convince the boss to let me take a section of the back yard and put in a garden. Might even put in a flower or 2, well so long as they're edible that is.

Thanks for stopping by and check back I'll be here.

Thanks for stopping by,
RM

You are so going to get addicted to growing from seed. Next thing ya know you'll have a jungle for a yard, and your wife will think you went off the deep end. :lol:

Best of luck to you this year!

Very nice looking list my friend! I'll have to say, I've never seen anyone try your soaking technique but I'm digging it!!! Good luck and keep us posted.

Well RTF, I have seen where alot of people have used soaking for a couple of hours and i would have done that but it's hard for me to cut out a couple of hours where I could set them up to soak and come back to them. This was the easiest way. I got the idea to do it when I soaked a Tamarind seed for 72 hours and it's growing like there's no tomorrow. Sooooo, we'll see. Fingers are crossed.

Nice list there, You won;t be able to stop with 14... I lost track, it must be near 50 types... I will have a lot of interesting pods if ya want some down the road, I do love a good powder, you definitely need to try it...

Last night I drained the water and placed the seeds onto the Coffee filter paper.

1cea1116.jpg

Now just waiting for them to show signs of being alive so i can transfer to them to some soil

a30ecd31.jpg

Gotta do the lawn now. Gee, sweetheart, I must have had the mower set too low. I really didn't mean to scalp the lawn right there but now that it is, wouldn't that make a great place for a garden? :)

Thanks for stopping by,
RM

Three days later and their looking like this. These are a randon pulling of 4 bottles to check the progress of the seeds.

1764cfdf.jpg

Trying to get a little closer in these pics however the IPhone really doesn't do this very well the first ones were good and close but came out grainy. Took the other 2 zoomed out a bit more.

53dde9b5.jpg

4f857edb.jpg

8de881ce.jpg

d837be3e.jpg

I'm hoping to be able to get them into dirt on Saturday. Picking up some grow trays, soil and maybe a light this afternoon. I'm considering 2 different things for the soil. First, and I know what a lot of people think about this but I'm thinking about Miracle Grow Seed Starter. Second, I’m thinking about getting a bag of Peat, a bag of Compost and a bag of Top Soil and mixing them in thirds to get a medium to grow in. Right now I’m leaning more towards the second one as getting the big bags would give me some additional to use when I actually put them in the ground. The first has the advantage of being less costly. So, I’m thinking. Any ideas?

Edit: Ok, those first 2 close ups were just too grainy to see anything so I changed them out with the 2 that were zoomed out a bit. Still not great but better. I really need to get a camera and quit using this Iphone.

Cheers,
RM

Ya sure don't need a light, just put them out, they will do great, i have all mine in the sun, even ones i am sprouting to give away and sell. EZPZ.

Thats great news. now I have more to spend on other things. Might have to grow some good Maters and somt other things I've been thinking about. Thanks SST!

Edit: How did you like that Cocoa starting mix?

Good to know, thanks. I think I'm going to go with the peat, compost (manure), top soil blend. It should be a good weight soil with lots of organic material in it to give them a good start. I'll also use it when I plant them out. I dont have a plotted off garden yet and am planning on just putting them around the fence at the back of the yard where they'll get good sun. Hopfully next year I'll get the go ahead from the CFO of the family to set up a nice garden area. If the kids get into it then it'll be an easy sell.

I like your table I may have to look around for some scraps and put one together myself.

Stopped by Lowes on my way home last night and picked up some garden soil which had everything in it I was wanting to mix up along with a 72 and a 36 cell trays. So, I'm ready to transplant seeds this weekend. While I was haeding to check out I passed by the section with herbs and veggies and found these:

61c11889.jpg

Can you say Mojito?
cfa58fb1.jpg

bdead2d8.jpg

I picked up 2 of each but now that I think about it I may stop back and pick up one more each and see if I can find some thyme. They also had some pretty good looking, as in healthy. Beef Steak Tomatoes and I might have to get a couple of them too. I have this great spot right out my back door for an Herb garden. I am going to have to get some mulch though to keep the weeds at bay. I'll take pick of it all tonight and get them up.

Cheers,
RM

Whew what a week, finally getti g some time to get these pics up.

These shots of the seeds were taken about 10 minutes ago and looks like they're ready to get planted.
5b0ceb51.jpg

cd03c69a.jpg

eb671c38.jpg

Here's where the herbs are going after I get it cleans out again and prepped

13294772.jpg

Perfect spot right outside the kitchen door

I'll be using these trays

e70df019.jpg

Can they be used for more than 1 season?

And I'll be mixing this into the soil when I plant them and mixing some in to the seedling mix

1922c87f.jpg

I know a lot of prow don't like Miracle Grow but I haven't had the time to go by a good garden shop to get anything else and Lowes is right on the way home. So I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend

RM

Ladies and Gentlemen the first 12 peppers have hit the dirt. The four left will go in tomorrow morning early.

Here's the shots:

7b3017d7.jpg

c7f2a3ec.jpg

The close up of the seeds

5f81ecd6.jpg

e5323b2d.jpg

So that's 6 cells X 1 or 2 seeds per cell of

1. Peruvian White Hab
2. Jamaican Hot Chocolate
3. Douglah
4. Fatalii
5. Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
6. Datil
7. Red Savina Hab
8. Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnet
9. Chocolate Hab
10. Black Hab
11. Trinidad Scorpion Yellow
12. 7/Pot Red

Thanks for stopping by see ya again in the dark and early,
RM

Edit: Ok that last one looks like it's standing up but the shot wouldn't rotate
No I mean it's a new experimental method developed at UCF here locally. Totally next generation growng here. Yeah, that's it! :)

This morning I got the last of the seeds into the 36 cell tray. These were not as far along as the others were and 2 of them I only soaked overnight so I'll really be watching them to see how they do.

fe9b1d82.jpg

343108f3.jpg

Left to right they are

13. Bhut Jolokia - 1 row
14. No heat Jalapeno - 1 row (FryDad sent this to me and we both are wondering if it will carry over the lack of heat or not)
15. Thai Long Hot - 2 rows ( I had alot more seed for these last 20
16. Thai Short Hot - 2 rows (these are supposed to be very hot)

All of my babies Cribbed up and ready to grow.

45171b65.jpg

Later today the little ones and I will be planting the herbs and next month I'll start germinating the veggies that we want to grow. I'm hoping that one of them really catches the bug for gardening

Cheers,
RM

So, today was the first time for Savanna and Nicholas to get their hands dirty gardening and they loved every minute of it,

fa48c4de.jpg

Nicholas planted the Basil while Savanna did the Oregano. Here they dug their own holes and added some good good soil to it.

e89587a7.jpg

4b560fd3.jpg

Then planted their herbs and added soil around it

ce95f893.jpg

1c235cc1.jpg

Now I just need to get their heat tolerances up and into planting peppers. Next up this year though is going to be some veggies. Hopefully planting their own will prompt them to try and eat more.

Thanks for stopping by
RM

How awesome. Savanah, is just a beaming ray of Sunshine, and Nicholas is serious! He didn't look up once!
It does my heart good to see children doin there thing, (learning). And I think it goes against nature for kids to not eat what they themselves plant. Way to go RM!

You're doin it right RM!!!! Looks great!

Cool to get the kids involved. That's what I do, too.
Every morning we check for growth, weeds, and caterpillars.
And we check again in the afternoon.

Good times! Keep posting!!

Wow, 2 days and I have a Jamaican Hot Chocolate and a Peruvian White Habanero up

532e5d95.jpg

And a Chocolate Habanero that has broken soil and will be up soon.

6c31d426.jpg

Ok I'm hooked on growing

Back