• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Organic fertilizer.

Capsicum

Banned
I like to see what everyone likes to use as there organic fertilizer. Do you buy it? Do you make it? Do you use it with synthetics?

I like Botanicare Pure Blend Pro.

"What advantages could there be in an organic garden? As we know there are 16 plant nutrients that are essential for survival. "

Source>To read more: http://www.simplyhyd...ganic_hydro.htm

If you look at most "organic" fertilizers, the main ingredient is "worm tea." I say screw the expensive "organic" fertilizers, and have my own worm far. That way I have an endless supply of the main ingredient that they use. Doesn't get much more "organic" than straight from the worms!

Im not anti synthetic I just think we use too many chemicals in general so i grow organic and only use synthetic if lets say I have an insect issue that just wont go away with organic....hasnt happened yet.

I do think the flavor is better with organics in general, this may be due to the less than rapid growth rate vs synthetics.

With that said, right now I have been using, Vitamin b, bone meal, and dr earth
Organic 5: Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer 5-7-3

, but we will be moving in a month or so and will be switching to cow and chicken manure mixed in with the land. This will be our permanent socal farm so more or less prepping the soil for long term...unless I get a gig in MO then I will have to figure out what to do there as well lol. cross that when i get to it.

If you look at most "organic" fertilizers, the main ingredient is "worm tea." I say screw the expensive "organic" fertilizers, and have my own worm far. That way I have an endless supply of the main ingredient that they use. Doesn't get much more "organic" than straight from the worms!

Well heck if you got it use it!

Fish meal, composted sea bird guano, sea kelp, spirulina, soybean protein extract, rock phosphate, potassium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, calcium carbonate, humic acid*, fulvic acid*, citric acid, raw sugar cane, Agrimineral 72 (silica clay extract), amino acids, B-complex vitamins*, and select botanical plant extracts.

No worm tea :cool:

I have two worm farms and a compost bin and implemented inoculated fava beans as a cover crop for the first time last year. I've got pulverized egg shells at the ready for Calcium.

This is my first year growing peppers from seed. I've bought some Alaska Fish Fertilizer for use later. I used Growers Surpreme Myco Blast Micorrizae upon my first pot up from peat pots into Kellogg's Patio Plus. I'm low on money; I've spent $20 to buy the three items above.

I'm thinking about getting some rock dust.

These are the only two ferts that I use other than mixing in some cow compost into our sandy loam garden soil. They're not what I call "hot" ferts and very user friendly.

Ferts:
Once I pot-up my grow plugs I use this biweekly:

PHC Seedling & Houseplants NPK 6-12-6 Biofertilizer

Contains potassium nitrate, ammonium phosphate, urea, seaweed extract, potassium phosphates, copper sulfate, manganese, iron, zinc, amino acids, K and B-complex vitamins, beneficial bacteria, humates and humic acids, kelp, citric and citrate buffers and yucca plant extract

2.5 oz. of easy-to-use powder makes 6 gallons of powerful fertilizer; 8 oz. makes 19 gallons

http://www.gardeners.com/Seedling-Fertilizer/11727,default,pd.html

Once I move the plants outside for final potting I use this biweekly:

Pro-Gro Organic Fertilizer 5-3-4

Derived From: Vegetable protein meals (such as alfalfa meal, cocoa meal, cotton seed meal, kelp meal, peanut meal, and soybean meal), Animal protein meals (such as blood meal, crab meal, dried whey, feather meal, and fish meal), (natural) nitrate of soda, (natural) sulfate of potash, (natural) sulfate of potash/magnesia, greensand, and phosphate rock.

http://www.dirtworks.net/Organic-Fertilizer/Pro-Gro.html

This produced incredible results for me!!

+1

After knowing what worm tea is, i just use it like crazy, making one is easy and cheap. You can even modified the recipe, adding other nutrient, decrease other nutrient, it's like lego fertilizer (if youre doing experiment dont forget to dilute it).

Fish meal, composted sea bird guano, sea kelp, spirulina, soybean protein extract, rock phosphate, potassium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, calcium carbonate, humic acid*, fulvic acid*, citric acid, raw sugar cane, Agrimineral 72 (silica clay extract), amino acids, B-complex vitamins*, and select botanical plant extracts.

Worm tea is good but this fertilizer has no worm in it. It would cost me more to make this.

Worm tea is good but this fertilizer has no worm in it. It would cost me more to make this.

Been reading a lot of posts by you lately, you been growing peppers for a long time?

I have been lucky to find how great it is to grow peppers. I have mastered growing.

"If you master only one herb in your life, master cayenne pepper. It is more powerful than any other." Dr. Schulze

I may be good at growing but I have very much to learn about species of chilis.

Man, worm tea, it works miracles! Every once in a while I'll brew up some aerated worm tea, smells sweet, floods my soil with nutes and beneficial bacteria, all wins. The next few days, BOOM, 4 inches of growth that no synthetics could ever do.

Although, since I feed mostly leafy greens to my worms, the worm castings are probably high in N, not good to add without some bat guano or dilution in there during flowering. At least, that's what I've discovered from my own experiments.

O yea for sure worm castings are really good.

"Although, since I feed mostly leafy greens to my worms, the worm castings are probably high in N, not good to add without some bat guano or dilution in there during flowering. At least, that's what I've discovered from my own experiments. "

That is good, you really are good with organics I can see.

"I dont think anyone ever really "masters" growing... "

"I dont think anyone ever really "masters" Baseball... "

"I dont think anyone ever really "masters" a instrument... "

"I dont think anyone ever really "masters" Anything... " Sound familiar?

O yea for sure worm castings are really good.

"Although, since I feed mostly leafy greens to my worms, the worm castings are probably high in N, not good to add without some bat guano or dilution in there during flowering. At least, that's what I've discovered from my own experiments. "

That is good, you really are good with organics I can see.

"I dont think anyone ever really "masters" growing... "

"I dont think anyone ever really "masters" Baseball... "

"I dont think anyone ever really "masters" a instrument... "

"I dont think anyone ever really "masters" Anything... " Sound familiar?

I use Fox Farms Ocean Forrest which is organic and very similar to what you use. Michael Jordan mastered basketball!!! :)

Yup. Ocean Forest is a bunch of Organic Ferts and microorganisms mixed into one soil. Castings, Guano, Fish Meal, you name it! Also conveniently mixed with soil buffers.

If you have some time read that link in my 1st post. I just read it and learned a lot about organic!!!!

I went over to "mini classes" and went to "grow medium".

Was reading a little then he listed some grow media. My favorite on the list was "air". Yes, air is a good medium!!! :cool:

I use a mixture of 4-5 different certified organic fertilisers at half strength every watering. This is using an organic Potting mix.

Potting mix = amgrow organix potting mix

This is amended with 1 part to 4 potting mix of 5in1 plus from searles containing Cow, Fowl and Sheep Manures, Mushroom Compost, Zeolite, Blood & Bone, hoof and horn plus added Trace Elements and Minerals and Worm Castings. (Funnily enough the website excludes worm castings but the bags definitely state and have a icon of worms as can be seen on the picture on the website )

I then add 1-2 tablespoons of Organic Link Fertiliser into the base of the planting hole and around the top of the pot.CONTAINS:- • Blood and Bone • Lime, Gypsum and Dolomite • Natural Potash • Natural Humates and Carbon • Natural Water Retainers • Trace Elements • Silica • Neem Cake • Naturals Minerals & Zeolite

N: 5.44 P: 2.75 K: 5.16

Every Watering every 3 days on average at the moment I feed them 1/2 strength mix of the following adjusted to a pH of between 5.8 and 6.2 using citric acid as a pH down.
In every 9 litre bucket I add the following:
15ml Backyard Boost

Made from kelp, guano, fish and a range of beneficial organic formulations

1/2 teaspoon Stimulate Fulvic Acid and Kelp
plus a capful of Seasol to boost the natural growth hormones and potassium content while flowering
And 50mls of Liquid worm and compost extract to add some more wormy goodness

I also use once every week to 2 weeks an extra 5-10 mls of both eco-aminogro and eco-fish to each bucket to aid in the microorganisms growth within the soil itself as the containers can't sustain too much if they aren't fed properly

I also foliar feed as needed with a Mixture of Neem and Seasol and worm extract to keep the plants in balance as the mites have been an issue as the plants are undercover on the balcony and don't get the natural checks to keep them in balance.

Since I have added worm extract to every watering the plants have responded in an amazing fashion with lush new growth and less pest attacks.

Anyway that is my 100% organic approach.

Everything must be brought as apartment living puts paid to my own compost or worm plans

I tweak this approach as my education improves and evolves and through results things have been added and since dropped or changed in small ways. There will no doubt be further changes in pipeline in the coming months with a few ideas floating about with ways to improve my plant health

Back