• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment bbq sauce ... how to???

I can cook killer ribs and I also like to make my own bbq sauce .
I start with tomatoes I grew .
I boil and peel them and put them in the pot along with cayenne peppers and mollasses .
I add onion and spices like seasoning salt and liquid smoke .
in the end i thicken it with a little starch and its real good.

alot of friends ask what sauce i use and i say i made it but I still think i am way off ....
any of you make bbq sauce ???
how you make it???

shayne

I make several different BBQ sauces....
a couple have earned awards as well...

Original (made directly from my family recipe)
Sweet Apple BBQ
Bourbon BBQ
Spicy Bold BBQ
Honey BBQ
Blazin Hot BBQ

I also make a couple of different Hot Sauces...

Wahini Woo Hoo Tropical Punch Hot Sauce
Artic Blast Menthol Hot Sauce
2 new sauces that have not been named yet

Now I can't tell ya how I make my BBQ sauces but...you're on the right track. I use a tomato base that I mix my own BBQ Dry Rub in along with a variety of spices from oregano to allspice and a few in between. I also add some mollasses along with some brown sugar and a few other things and let it simmer.....along time...my sauces cook for about 5-6 hours before I bottle them.

I don't use any starch to thicken it ...if you cook uncovered for a good length of time it will naturally thicken.

BBQ sauce is easy.

Use a tomato base
a vinegar ( I like apple cider)
and a sweetener ( I always use brown sugar)

...and that's it in a nutshell. Adjust amounts to get the balance of flavor you want and of course there's a world of seasonings you can add. I usually start with sauteed onions and garlic. Add something spicy, of course.

You can use this basic formula to make BBQ sauce from any hot sauce you like. Just use the hot sauce as the tomato base and add vinegar and brown sugar...there ya go...hot BBQ sauce.

here's a borrowed recipe:

2c ketchup
1/4c cider vinegar
1/4c Worcestershire sauce
1/4c firmly packed brown sugar
2TB molasses
2TB prepared mustard
1TB tabasco
1TB seasoning such as a 'rib rub' or barbecue rub
2ts liquid smoke
1/2ts cracked black pepper
naturally - chile powder to taste

combine all in a nonreactive saucepan and bring slowly to a boil over med-high heat. reduce the heat to med and gently simmer until dark, and sauce thickens and has a rich flavour, 10-15 mins. pour into clean sterile bottles/jars and store in fridge, will keep for several months if it lasts that long!

a Basic one I use sometimes

2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
3 tablespoons paprika
1 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground basil
1 tablespoon red pepper
2 teaspoons black pepper

What about adding booze? Would you put it in after simmering to preserve more alcohol or just cook it in to the sauce? and can you get away with cheaper alcohol or should you always go top shelf premium.

POTAWIE said:
What about adding booze? Would you put it in after simmering to preserve more alcohol or just cook it in to the sauce? and can you get away with cheaper alcohol or should you always go top shelf premium.

Ive got one with JD in it -- its a good sweet sauce with a smoky barrel finish also have a spicy beer sauce that one is located in the recipe section for my brisket :beer:

POTAWIE said:

On my bourbon sauce I add Jim Bean to my mix and simmer for a while to really blend the flavors. I go after the flavor not so much the alcohol content.

LeCanard said:
This sounds interesting. Can you give any clues as to how you put this together ?

Well have you ever had a drink called fire-n-ice? It's fire water (hot cinnomin schnapts and menthol shnapts mixed) It burns at first then when you inhale it takes your breath away. I am making it useing a unique blend of extracts and natural flavors.

I agree with Chuk what you have is a good "base". Work on adding flavors.

I called my buddy Mark from the Weekend Grillers about this one and he directed me to a post he made on the BarbecueNews forum recently which has some sauces that he assured me are REALLY good -- Here's the recipes:

Jim Beam Kentucky Bourbon BBQ Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups tomato ketchup
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 cup Jim Beam Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
4 tablespoons cider vinegar
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
dash liquid smoke, to taste, optional

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 20 minsutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally.

And...

Maker's Mark Kentucky Bourbon Honey BBQ Sauce

Maker's Mark Bourbon Honey BBQ sauce is a sweet sticky mess of tastiness. It is best applied in the last fifteen minutes of cooking. The sugar in the honey will burn if cooked on high heat resulting in a blackened hard candy shell. I like to start the cooking with a spicy rub and finish off with the Bourbon Honey Sauce. This sauce will keep well for weeks if refrigerated so I usually make it a day or two in advance. Let the sauce warm to at least room temp before slathering it all over the burning meat.

In a deep cast iron skillet melt

3 tablespoons of butter

Saute one medium diced red onion for 2 minutes

Add six peeled, smashed and minced cloves of garlic

Just as the onions and garlic start to brown add the remaining ingredients

1 cup Makers Mark Bourbon
1 cup Gallberry Honey (a must!)
1 bottle of Heinz ketchup
1 teaspoon of grated ginger
1 teaspoon of dry mustard
1 tablespoon of fresh, chopped sweet basil
1 tablespoon of fresh, chopped parsley
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon of fresh coarsely ground black pepper

Bring all this to a boil and simmer stirring occasionally until it begins to thicken. This takes fifteen to twenty minutes.

Mark Hester
http://weekendgrillers.com

Bill Kamman

I was at Trader Joe's and found Blue Agave (Cactus) sweetener. I used it in one of my BBQ sauces and added some smoked Hab. powder....WOW! The Agave is like honey with alittle different flavor, so it sweetens and thickens. It also gives me more room when naming it...."HOt Cactus BBQ" or something like that that sounds cool.

Keep on working, BBQ sauce is FUN!

I know! I'm so excited about the Agave, I lost my mind and gave out a secret. I was unfortunatly to late to get it in Kato's Contest, but will be ready for THP 2008.

Back