• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Nashville's Hot Chicken

Anyone heard of this stuff?

It's a local specialty there and the most famous place to get it seems to be a joint called Prince's Hot Chicken Shack.

http://www.hollyeats.com/PrincesHotChicken.htm

This stuff is supposed to be SERIOUSLY DANG HOT! I mean so hot it's hard to eat.

I have been obsessed with this stuff since reading an article about t in THE WEEK several months ago. As a matter of fact I was going to make a road trip out there and try it but had to postpone because of the runup in gas prices.

Anyway, I did try to make this myself one night. I soaked the chicken in a marinade of buttermilk, Louisiana hot sauce and Dave's Total Insainity sauce.

When it came time to fry it up I breaded it in a mixture of bread crumbs and about 5 ounces of pure habanero powder. Frying it in a hot iron skillet the chili fumes filled my kitchen with a choking "tear gas" that had anyone who walked through there coughing in fits. ( I was having a party at the time, of course) Next time I will wear a gas mask while frying.

Well..it was hot, real hot, but not the "religious experience" hot I was seeking....so..back to the drawing board.

I did make some hushpuppies with the leftover breading...and those were f'ing hot! Too hot to eat..almost. But the chicken...still not there.

Here's an article on the hellish Nashville cuisine if ya'll are interested in learning more:

http://www.tennessean.com/entertainment/restaurants/archives/05/03/67655588.shtml

Well I have been to the mountain and returned. I am here to tell you that Prince's Hot chicken lived up to the hype. It was FANTASTIC!

I'll post pictures later.......

You should see when we are grinding up the dried habaneros, cripes, I actually wear my scuba goggles and have the regulator in my mouth and an air tank behind me. My wife used to laugh at me until she inhaled a nice cloud of habanero particulates.

DEFCON Creator said:
You should see when we are grinding up the dried habaneros, cripes, I actually wear my scuba goggles and have the regulator in my mouth and an air tank behind me. My wife used to laugh at me until she inhaled a nice cloud of habanero particulates.

POST A PIC!!!!

Seriously, I have two doors between me and the kitchen because the pepper fumes kill me. I was working in the kitchen the other day and had to put on swim goggles and a mask to protect myself and they were only cooking garlic!

T

Perhaps it wasn't the fumes, but the garlic itself. Do your canine teeth come to a point, and do you have trouble crossing running water?

DEFCON Creator said:
Perhaps it wasn't the fumes, but the garlic itself. Do your canine teeth come to a point, and do you have trouble crossing running water?

Never have trouble with running water, I simply walk along the top. :shock:

Here's the hot chicken in Nashville:

Of course I ordered the EXTRA HOT. Most people find the medium almost too hot to eat.

60304271_2f86ca0fe6.jpg

man it was hot! The sweat was running down the sides of my face while I ate it!

Here is another shot with flash. look at all that HOT!

60304261_559f436124.jpg

Here's the outside of the place:

60304192_a9373ec6f9.jpg

Best damn hot chicken I ever had. Made me want to move to Nashville!

One thing you might try, is dusting the chicken with a good spicy habanero powder, immediately after cooking, while the outside is still moist. Powdered peppers do not seem to hold up very well to the rigors of being cooked, but if added late in the cooking process, they do better. I have an excellent Red Savina Powder on my site. You might want to give it a try. Now i guarantee, it will be hot. Also, the marinade, you could try using my Red Savina and Garlic sauce. It has a pretty good kick, but with a lot of flavor. If you want hotter, you will have to use an extract sauce, like my Backdraft, or Haz Mat. Just a few suggestions for ya. Good Luck!

that chicken looks awesome. in fact..thanks to this thread, i'm about to call my favorite local chicken joint.

edit...cursed sundays! they aren't open. i guess that means the runner up..

Back