• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Melissa77754 2012 Glog

Hey Everyone
icon_smile.gif

So I figured it is about time I start a Grow log of my own and I will do my very best to keep it up to date. With two kiddos and a massive amount of plants my days can be pretty hectic. I grew jalapenos and serranos last season, had a decent harvest considering the small pot size I used. In July I met a nice lady giving away hot pepper seeds to newbies on GW, decided to give them a try, August met Smokemaster through a generous SASBE offer and the rest is history!! lol

I started a batch in late August so I have some "overwinters" if you will, living in SoCal I can grow year round with the right protection from time to time. I started out with a cheap 12'x7' hoop house and when the winds thrashed that I bought two 6x8 with shelving, still the cheaper plastic hot house type but the shelving makes it heavy and the winds don't phase it. I also have a 6x6 indoor tent with a 4 bulb T5 and 2 monster size CFL's. The growth indoors versus out does not even compare, T5's are amazing! Have to thank my bro for giving me that fixture.

I am hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew being it's my first real season growing super hots mainly. I plan to sell some plants along the way to help fund my pepper growing addiction
icon_smile.gif
My log will be pretty picture heavy which I am sure most will not mind! Enjoy and happy pepper growing to everyone!!
dancingpepper.gif

My grow list (Still need to add, started some more trays after creating this list and haven't had time to update)

"CLUBBED" SCOTCH BONNET (rec'd in trade from canada, this is the shape he explained thus the name)
7 POT PRIMO
7 POD BURGUNDY
7 POT BARRACKPORE
7 POT BROWN
7 POT JONAH BUTCH T
7 POT MOROUGA YELLOW
7 POT ORANGE
7 POT RED
7 POT YELLOW
7 POT YELLOW LARGE
AJI JOE CHOCOLATE HAND GRENADE
AJI LIMON
AJI UMBA
ANCHO MULATO
ARBOL
ARIBIBI GUSANO
BEAVER DAM
BENI HIGHLANDS
BETH MYSTERY PACK
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA INDIAN CARBON
BHUT JOLOKIA PURPLE
BIG JIM
BIKER BILLY
BIQUINHO
BIRGITS LOCOTO
BLACK NAGA JOLOKIA
BRAIN STRAIN
BRAIN STRAIN SR
CANTINA YELLOW
CARRIBEAN RED
CASCABELLA
CAYENNE GOLDEN
CHAPAEU DE FRADE
CHOCOLATE BHUT JOLOKIA
CHOCOLATE HABANERO
CHOCOLATE SCOTCH BONNET
CHOCOLATE T.S.
CONGO BLACK
CONGO RED
COSTENNO AMARILLO
DATIL
DOUGHLAH
DOUGHLAH X BUTCH T
EARBOB PI59272
EL ORO DE EQUADOR
FATALLI
GIANT JALAPENO
GRENADA YELLOW SEASONING
GUYANA PI199506
GUERRITO
HABANERO BIG SUN
HAROLD ST BARTS
HOT HUNGARIAN
INFINITY
JAMAICAN YELLOW
JIMMY NARDELLO
LIGHTNING MIX
MADAME JEANETTE
MANZANO RED
MANZANO AMARILLO
MANZANO ORANGE
MARCONI ROSSO
MOROUGA YELLOW
MYSTERY
NAGA MORICH
NAGABON
NUMEX SANDIA
NUMEX TWILIGHT
ORANGE THAI
PADRON
PEACH BHUT JOLOKIA
PEACH HABALOKIA
PEACH LANTERN
PEACH SCORPANERO
PERUVIAN GOLD
PINK HABANERO
PURPLE BHUT JOLOKIA
QUEEN LAURIE PI1281405
RED FATALLI
RED HABANERO
RED ROCOTO
RED SAVINA
SANTAKA ASIAN
SCOTCH BONNET
SUPERHOT SURPRISE
SUPREME MIX
SURINAME HABANERO
T.S. BUTCH T
T.S. MOROUGA
TOBAGO SCOTCH BONNET
TRINIDAD BEAN
TRINIDAD MOROVAS
TRINIDAD SCORPION
TRINIDAD SEASONING
TRINIDAD SWEET CHERRY
WHIT 7 POD
YELLOW HABALOKIA
YELLOW 7 POT LRG
YELLOW 7 POT X ?
YELLOW BHUT JOLOKIA
YELLOW BRAIN STRAIN
YELLOW T.S.

MY CHOCOLATE HAB IS LOADED WITH FLOWERS!
IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

RED HABANERO
IMG_2787.jpg

i thought i was the only busy girl here... you look like you will have alot to do this summer my friend
very nice work thank you for sharing.

Looks great Melissa how do you like the Dr.Earth soil and is it the only growing medium your using or mixing it with something else

Thanks SocalChilehead :)

Well what soil I am using is a real long story so bare with me, trial and error is leading me. I started off with Edna's Best amending with extra castings, a little perlite and alaskan humus soil amendment. This mixed worked pretty well initially but in some plants it's showing to be too "heavy", compacts too much. So I started using Uni-Grow (peat based with amendments and nutrients), mixed with MORE perlite and Edna's. Much lighter and the plants are doing better. After much reading on here and locating a good deal on Promix BX. I am now using 50/50 Uni-grow/Promix, with perlite, humus & worm castings. I have a couple bags of edna's best left and will add here and there to mixes until gone.

Dr Earth's dry nutrient line is great, I mix some in the bottom of my containers. AND I use it in aerated compost/nutrient teas. The 25LB bag is $35 with free shipping on Amazon, that can last some people years! You don't find it that cheap anywhere. I am only using organic products so for what is out there I love it. Also sent in a sample request to Aurora Innovations, rec'd their Buddha Grow liquid mix. Tried it out and was sold, bought the Budda Bloom as well. The Buddha Bloom kick started my Yellow Manzano to Flower and I started that plant in late August! I highly reccomend that because you just measure, mix with water and feed to plants. Wow do the plants love it, even if it was probably formulated for the "other" plant! :)

Oh and started using Mykos by Extreme Gardening, a beneficial fungi added at the bottom of transplant holes.

Hope that helped!

Melissa

wow nice list and wow again another girl...good luck with ur grow

Thank you! :)

Saweeeeet garden Melissa. IT's a Solo cup garden hehe. Looking amazing. I see you are putting those seeds to good use. Won't let smokemaster down, he would be pleased at the ambition you are showing. What are you going to do with all of those pods?? Yikes! (I'll send a SASBOX and you can fill it up and send it back......hey it's worth a shot lol) Keep up the good work Melissa. Will be following your GLOG So keep us posted!!

P.S. I love how it's like "Oh, another girl" This is gardening we are talking about right??? lol ;p

Saweeeeet garden Melissa. IT's a Solo cup garden hehe. Looking amazing. I see you are putting those seeds to good use. Won't let smokemaster down, he would be pleased at the ambition you are showing. What are you going to do with all of those pods?? Yikes! (I'll send a SASBOX and you can fill it up and send it back......hey it's worth a shot lol) Keep up the good work Melissa. Will be following your GLOG So keep us posted!!

P.S. I love how it's like "Oh, another girl" This is gardening we are talking about right??? lol ;p

Thanks 3/5King!! Smokemaster is the reason I am so addicted to growing peppers now. I can't thank him enough and fully intend to make some large seed contributions to his seed bank come harvest time! Pods too, I am sure he can never have too many peppers! I am going to need some reviewers too so hope is not lost for ya! lol :)

"Hey red solo cup is cheap and disposable AND in 14 years they are decomposable" lol

I didn't want to say anything about the girls comment but um yesssss, gardening is a woman's hobby as well! :halo:

Thanks for looking, will do my best to keep the log up to date!

"So you're sayin' there's a chance!" (Dumb and Dumber) Awesome, I will review your delicious chiles for you. No problem...lol. Well it looks like you have the skill and the chiles will be a plenty. I am going to have to take a look at your soil profile. I like it. I am going to need to amend my garden soil in the spring. Will be looking out for your next update.

Awesome list! How cheap have you found Promix BX? I haven't had any luck finding it under 54 with shipping. You get it at a nursery?

So... Is there anyway you could convince my Wife that growing hot peppers is alot of fun?

I'll pay you.

:lol:

Nice growlist! your off to a great start. I have that same mini greenhouse. Works great. This years gonna be a bit different from your jalapeno serrano grow last year haha. Good luck.

Brandon

My god! impressive selection!

wish i had your location and temperature!

I am very lucky to live in SoCal, born and raised here & would never dream of leaving.....except to own a farm!! lol

Good luck on the grow :)

So... Is there anyway you could convince my Wife that growing hot peppers is alot of fun?

I'll pay you.

:lol:

Nice growlist! your off to a great start. I have that same mini greenhouse. Works great. This years gonna be a bit different from your jalapeno serrano grow last year haha. Good luck.

Brandon

Hi Brandon!

I have three older brothers and had more guy friends than girls growing up, I can give it a shot but no promises! ONLY if you can teach my hubby how to grow, he is now banned from potting up without me watching! haha!! :rofl:

Love that little greenhouse, it's perfect for a boat load of starts and big plants too! I have two and considering a third, crazy I know!

Good luck with your season as well :)

Back