• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sweet peppers...

Not necessarily no heat, but minimal heat. My housemate complained that I didn't devote more space to sweet peppers last year, and I can sort of see her point... I've tried growing bell peppers in the past but I find them to be not worth the effort; take too long to ripen, never get many off a plant. I'm looking for something smaller, faster, and preferably more prolific. Anyone have any favorite sweet pepper cultivars?

(I realize this is probably blasphemy in the hot pepper forum, but I didn't know where else to put it)

I was thinking about growing some Anaheim, but I'm talking mainly about, well, fresh snacking sorts of peppers. The sort that you could just go out in the garden and munch on. And yeah yeah, I know the people here will "snack" on pequins, I'm talking about something the average person can handle.

I literally know almost nothing about sweet peppers. It just doesn't occur to me that there are peppers out there without heat.

(Suddenly I have the urge to make some kettle corn with crushed pequin... wonder how that would taste)

go to the grocery, buy one she love eat it and strip the seeds out and put that in the soil....

voila! there is some mini sweet that are nice to chump anytime

Ah yeah I remember seeing the Jimmy Nardello somewhere... easy enough. I think I might actually have seeds for the Shishito. I have officially reached that point where I no longer know what I have off the top of my head, hmm...

Could also be the booze. :drunk:

I grew the "hole mole" pasilla pepper. It is a long pepper 8" long by 1-2" wide. goes green to brown. Surprisingly sweet. It advertises a nutty flavor. I can see that. I would call it peppery.

great on pizza.

... I've tried growing bell peppers in the past but I find them to be not worth the effort; take too long to ripen, never get many off a plant. I'm looking for something smaller, faster, and preferably more prolific....

I concur, and am also searching for bell replacements. I do have a Blushing Beauty started--at least kind of interesting to wait for the blush, I guess. Also trying Pimento and Piment d Espellete. I've heard the pimentos kick butt over bells, but I doubt they are any faster. I'm also delving into paprika land with a Feher Ozon I bought at public market.--most beautiful pods, taste fantastic, and make, well, fantastic paprika.

So I'm trying a few things, with enough plants to get at least some sweet pepper for the wife-units stir fry. I find I can placate her with the Anaheims, and will sometimes go for a Hungarian hot wax. They grow much faster than bells and have a bit of heat but still tasty when green / yellow.

There are some "mini-bell" varieties that might get to the table quicker also. But a man has to retain some pride.... :cool:

pimento are very delicious sweet peppers, ripen a bit faster than bells, mild cherries, sweet banana, chile caribe, aconcagua, apple, sweet cayenne, sweet datil, lombardo, even have jalapenos w/ little to no heat

Guess I'll need to look these up... suppose I could always wait and check the farmers market in a couple weeks. They're much more likely to have a good selection of sweet varieties over hot varieties... le sigh.

Guess I'll need to look these up... suppose I could always wait and check the farmers market in a couple weeks. They're much more likely to have a good selection of sweet varieties over hot varieties... le sigh.

If you want some sweet seeds to try out send me a PM and I will tell you where to send the SASBE. It's definitely not too late to start sweets. Let me know :)

Melissa

some of them are sweet but with heat... does your wive want some heat in the pepper or not?

ancho, anaheims,espelet etc... all have heat...

talking of Espelette coudnt make my seeds germinate this year (i i tried 15 at least (all that i had ) nothing popped up
anyone got succes ?
Anyone have seeds to give of espelette (or goria pepper if i remember right) would love to grow some for my lady (it's the only pepper she wanted and i couldnt grow it
but i have 40 other variety that grew :banghead:

My favorite is Giant aconcagua. Nice long sweet peppers and very productive
3675500412_a27f81f664.jpg

Sahuaros are another one of my favorites. Very productive but heat levels can be variable, some are hotter than others. Supposed to be 500SHU but the odd pepper will be much hotter

4774274152_47c7751051.jpg

I've grown the "Gypsy" peppers for years, its a very heavy producer, ripens fairly quick and has thinner walls then my next to mention the "Cubanelle".
The Cubanelle, another good one can be stuffed boat style, size and shape can vary with this pepper, it has good flavor and no bitterness with an under ripe one.
The "Marconi" either red or yellow is another one of my favorites, very sweet......sausages and peppers......anyone?
I'm still a fan of the huge 4 lobe blocky style bell peppers. Sure they take longer to ripen and if your lucky, continual harvests throughout the season. But there's nothing like slices of a juicy red "Big Bertha" on a salad or stuffing a thick walled "Yellow Monster" with your favorite ground meat concoction whether its beef, lamb, turkey or chorizo its all good.
I'd consider most Nu-Mex varities in the mild/medium heat range.........Anaheims are my goto for those...

Greg

Cubanelle/Aji Cubanela/Aji de Pais, they seem to be quite popular in some parts of the world like the Caribbean and parts of Central America, and they have many other names as well, depending on region and exact cultivar. I think they generally do better than bells in hot humid areas.

Always listen to the "Housemate".
:halo:
Sweet peppers adn Hot peppers just GO together....lile Romeo and Juliet or Peanut Butter and Jelly.
I love Gypsy peppers....corno Di Torno...and even Banana peppers.
Great to stuff or fry.
Mmmmm.
Pepper Joe :dance: :P :dance: :P :dance: :P

Back