• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Not-so Hot talk

I'm not sure if this is blasphemy on this site or not (I might get kicked out of here). But, I was curious as to if anyone here has a favorite Not-So-hot pepper? I love the hot peppers, don't get me wrong, but I do love some flavorful sweet peppers. My personal favorite is the Cowhorn pepper. Anyone else tried them? I grow them every year and they are somewhere between a bell and a jalapeno. So, if I get kicked out because of this, it's been fun, but if you have a favorite not-so-hot, let me know.

I love sweet baby bell peppers. I don't grow them though because they are so readily available at the local grocer.

I never Had any Pepper without Heat besides the Bell Pepper but I guess I have to try new ones, maybe ill find some good peppers that I should start growing here

We have these Red and Orange Bells down here that are a must in stir fry, Cubanels seem to be popular also though I didn't like them as much.

No doubt about it, the C. baccatum variety Guyana PI 199506 has one of the most savory mild chile flavors I have ever experienced. The plants produce an insane amount of what looks like Aji Limon on steriods—They get up to 6 or 8 inches long, and are so juicy and crunchy that right now I'm salivating as I type this! Let me see if I can find some pix from my 2011 Grow...

Oh yeah... I love me some roasted Poblanos and Anahiems.
My all time fav sweet pepper is the Pepadew. The only place I can find them around here is at The Fresh Market or Liqour Barn on the Olive Bar.
I've been trying to find some seeds to grow some but haven't had any luck.

I got seeds last year for a Filippino variety called Siling Haba. The seeds were pink like shiny nail polish for some reason. I really like them. They were about like a jalapeno for heat but lots of character and tremendous productivity. I will save seeds this year.

I love stuffed bell peppers. I usually stuff them with habaneros, beef, rice, cheddar cheese, and beans though.

Right now, my favorite sweets are Puerto Rican aji dulce - cachucha. It's a chinense variety, but with no heat. Its the key ingredient to making authentic Puerto Rican sofrito.

Back