• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sprouted with three leaves

This is my first attempt at growing hot peppers. I came home from work today and found a chocolate habanero had sprouted with 3 leaves. All my other peppers had sprouted with two leaves. Any insight on how this might develop?

Thanks for all the information on this site. It has been very helpful.

Chocolate Habanero Sprouts by bigfan1403, on Flickr

I've had a few 3 cotyledon (beginner leaves) plants so far this year. 2 chocolate habs like you and 1 rocoto, plus one Roma tomato. The habs are doing OK, but they are a little bit smaller. I didn't grow out the rocoto because I had plenty of more viable plants. The tomato is one of my strongest tomato plants so far.

I suggest you grow it out and see how it does!

From what I've read it's probably a hybrid. I had the same question because I had a few sprouts with seeds I saved from last season come up with 3 leaves. The cool thing is the seeds were from my yellow habenero, which was beside my yellow bhut, so hopefully I get a hybrid.

Very common among chili's. Most likely a hybrid from what the guru's say. Nice babies
flamethrower.gif
icon_cool.gif
drunk.gif

Nope, it has nothing to do with hybrids. Actually none of my hybrids have 3 leaves. However, I have two stable plants that have 3 cotyledons. That "guru" is wrong. It's a slightly uncommon occurrence.

It's a mutant! Who are you Dr. Frankenstein? Do you create these evil, sick, mutant things on purpose? Think of the children man!

Nah. Happens all the time, doesn't mean a thing. I've had four or five of them so far this year.

It's like finding a Four-leaf clover........it happens...and sometimes brings good luck.

Grow it out, it could be your best plant. My Coronong's have 3 cotyledons most of the time, with 2nd and 3rd leaf sets tripled and the forking in 3rds.........true fork'en story !

Back