• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help with a rookie error

Hi guys,

Been reading your words for a few months now but here's my first post. I started growing chillies last year with 4 seedlings i got online in blister packs.. everything went well so this year i decided to start from seeds. My first few shots at germination were a diasaster, my second attempt wasn't great.. about 4 from 20 seeds planted. Realising that i'm running out of time to get things going i decided to change my germination tactics and triple plant seeds in each of the wee pots.

Here's where my problems begun. My new tactic for germination works much much better than my previous attempts and i've started getting 2 sprouts in each pot. And here's my question.. when should i split them. I realise if i leave it too long the roots'll get tangled and i risk having to cut them apart later on.. at a couple of weeks old is it too early to 'dig' them up and seperate now.. here's my problem.. i have the same issue in two other chambers (so far).

Thanks in advance guys.

JE in sunny Scotland.

thisonecroppedweeer.jpg

Welcome John!
There are farrrrrrrr smarter people than me on this subject, but here's my 2ยข.
Wait until they get their real leaves. It won't hurt them to tear a few roots. Put them in a Solo cup (pint).
A lot of people put three seeds in each starter pod.
Some times, if you have enough, pick the strongest one and let the other one go. (My wife hates playing God like that lol)
You'll get more, better help from pros, just be patient.

Oh yeah, HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY!

Hey JE,

I went the route of splinting them as soon as possible. I had the issue where I first sprout came about 7,8,9 ten days before the second. here are my results from splitting them right away, hope this helps:

158b41i.jpg

knfbm.jpg

10fch6x.jpg

--Mega

Now that I think about it it was more like 3,4 days between when they sprouted. An interesting thing is The larger on the right was started in a jiffy-7, the second put into jiffy seedling mix.... maybe those pucks are worth it ?

I just use a fork or two and extricate them one at a time, just be ginger when pulling them apart.I will usually capture what ends up on the fork medium and all, and set that a pot with grow medium. No packing into place is needed, aside from some light pressure to orient them correctly.

oh and... :welcome: to the forum, jump right in-from the Gulf of Mexico.

I usually wait for the 2nd set of true leaves, but many are like Mega and split when they sprout. In any event, have your transplant cups ready, dig a small hole in the soil, and ease the seedlings out of their previous home. The split will be quite easy - just have everything ready beforehand. Experience knows the wrong way to do it!

Welcome and Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Erin Go Bragh.

Thanks guys! 2 to 1 say wait for 2nd leaves so that's what i'll do.

St Patrick's Irish.. Although the town will be packed with people wearing green and white this evening... any excuse for a party! It's St Andrew up here in Scotland.. 30th November. Although I prefer Burn's night more than any of the saints' days.

I just split 3 sets that I started on 1-28 they are on the bottom its now the 3rd day and they seem ok, I used loose almost dry potting mix and bottom soaked them after the transplant.
IMG_0108-2.jpg

Nice going!
Peat pots can be difficult to work with in this situation, the roots are tender in small seedlings. I'd recommend peeling the pot away from the soil, kinda like peeling a wrapper off a waffle ice cream cone. One the soil is exposed you can tease the roots apart with little or no damage. Once repotted I give the plants a drink of a diluted root stimulator (helps reduce transplant shock). Pepper plants are hardy when treated correctly...

Greg

Back