• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Which have the shortest season?

Hi folks

Following on from my late seed order I'm looking for a little info. I have done some research but haven't found anything solid.
Of the following which will have the shortest period until production and which will do better in cooler conditions, i.e. can be left out of a greenhouse if its too full?

Aji Pineapple
7pot Orange-Yellow
Bonda Ma Jacque
Blondy
Beni Highlands
Chocolate Bhut jolokia
Goronong
Limón
Hot Lemon
Lemon Drop
Habanero St. Martin
Royal Black
Trinidad Scorpion Orange
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow CARDI

Already know the superhots here will have a long season and need the warmth so may hold off on them till next year.

Cheers

Chinense are longer season in general than say an annuum...

Not too sure about bacatums or about the cold... Florida has similar highs lows, and humidity, but we linger around the highs for months, whereas you linger around the lows... Loved the UK - spent the summer there in 09, just outside slough.

I'm thinking I'll give a few of the chinense a go and just see how I get on. Some of the Baccatums are Peruvian/Bolivian in origin so I assume they can take a bit of cold but no idea how long till production. I think the Goronong may also manage better in cooler temps but not sure.

I've lived here all my life and I just want to get out of this country. The London area is almost a different country in itself but I've never been a big fan on my visits.

I have almost the same conditions as you, I have tried Limón and Beni Highlands and they were somewhat earlier ripening than other chinenses I grew that year.

Regarding baccatums I think Lemon Drop, Aji Pineapple and Hot Lemon are almost the same, I have had so small differences (a few days) that I could not conclude if it was due to the genetic of the varieties or maybe just differences in the thrivening of the plants in general. Criolla Sella is by far the earliest baccatum I have ever tried and heard of, Aji Omnicolor and Aji Cristal are quite early too.

Good info Donnie.

Did you find much difference between those chinense and baccatums, presumably the latter being a little shorter seasoned? Also how was the flavour comparison with the Limón and Beni Highlands, and the Lemon Drop, Aji Pineapple and Hot Lemon, anything discernible or pretty much the same?

May have to give the Criolla and Aji omni a go next year depending how I find current varieties.

Beni Highlands
Limón

The Limón plants here were matured very quickly:
The first Limón plant to bloom was:
  • Sowed on 12 September 2011
  • Popped upright on 24 September 2011
  • Bloomed beginning 04 December 2011
  • Set fruit on or before 09 December 2011 (the flower that didn't drop its corolla may have set earlier)
77 days to flower from the first day upright as a sprout is impressively quick.

The second Limón plant from the same source also has a tentatively fruit as of today.

My Beni Highlands plants grown from non-isolated seed provided by JungleRain were left in the dust by the Limón plants. I perhaps have an odd strain as ChilePlants.com list the Beni Highlands as Early Season as one of the two plants appears to be sterile.

I used ChilePlants.com as a reference for a list of Mid Season C. Baccatum varieties and Early Season C. Chinense varieties.

I found the Aji Cristal, Aji Omnicolor and Inca Red Drop to be quicker to mature than other C. Baccatums. The Aji Omnicolor here has a more complex flavour compared to the other Baccatum varieties I have grown (citrus like tones).

Also how was the flavour comparison with the Limón and Beni Highlands

The Limón pods I grew had a noticeable citrus tone whereas the Beni Highlands pods had a noticeable sweetness and flavour that was very close to if not the same as a common C. Chinense one.

Edited 2013-01-10: Fix CCN links.

I'll pile on and agree that Aji Omnicolor, Criolla Sella, BAC593605 are all very early, very prolific producers. Not that it helps you a whole lot this year. :)

My Beni Highlands did produce fairly early last year, for a chinense. But it was far behind those mentioned above.

I'll pile on and agree that Aji Omnicolor, Criolla Sella, BAC593605 are all very early, very prolific producers. Not that it helps you a whole lot this year. :)

My Beni Highlands did produce fairly early last year, for a chinense. But it was far behind those mentioned above.

I pondered quoting your posts about the flavour of the Beni Highlands and the Limón. I can report thus far that I haven't come across a single bitter Limón pod.

+1 on the Limon... very early as chinense go. Can't say I've grown the Beni Highlands yet but it appears it is also fairly early. In my experience, the baccatums grow pretty quickly but the pods take forever to ripen... longer than my chineses in some cases.

It's funny, Harry. Later in the season, my BAC593605 exhibited some similarly "soapy" flavors. I don't know what that is. Maybe a bit like bitter citrus? In any case, it's clear that flavors are highly variable for me and my pots. :)

+1 on the Limon... very early as chinense go. Can't say I've grown the Beni Highlands yet but it appears it is also fairly early. In my experience, the baccatums grow pretty quickly but the pods take forever to ripen... longer than my chineses in some cases.

Some of the Baccatums are flavourful unripe. The Aji Omnicolor pods had flavour when full size but pale yellow. I've been meaning to try some of the Inca Red Drop pods while they're green.

It's funny, Harry. Later in the season, my BAC593605 exhibited some similarly "soapy" flavors. I don't know what that is. Maybe a bit like bitter citrus? In any case, it's clear that flavors are highly variable for me and my pots. :)

Maybe stop watering them with soap? ;-)

What do the BAC593605 plants look like?

Maybe stop watering them with soap? ;-)

What do the BAC593605 plants look like?

lol. So THAT'S the reason!

BAC593605 looks strikingly similar to Criolla Sella in both morphology (plant and pod) and taste, though the taste, IMO, is not quite as good (even the non-soap flavored ones).

Back