• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Alpha Hydroponics GLOG 2012

Playing catch up on the posting. Spring showed up about a month early here in Georgia and it's got us hoppin.
Started around the1st of February, but staggered the germination trays by roughly a week to 10 days each.
Started under 8 lamp T5, mixed bulbs. This grow will be "organic", meaning no salt based nutes, pesticides, herbicides.

indoorstarts2012038.jpg

******Please correct species or origin if you find error*****
All strains below are from THP members with the exception of the Datil (minorcan).

Grow List:
7 Pot Yellow chinense Trinidad
7 Pot Red chinense Trinidad
Congo Trinidad chinense Trinidad
Trinidad Congo Butch T chinense Trinidad
Caribbean Red Habanero chinense Mexico
Orange Habanero chinense Unknown
Trinidad Scorpion chinense Trinidad
White Habanero chinense Peru
Chocolate Habanero Hybrid chinense Jamaica
Red Congo chinense Guyana
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet chinense Jamaica
Hanoi Red annum Vietnam
Thai Hot frutescens Thailand
Bhut Dragon Hybrid chinense India
Red Bhut Jolokia chinense India
Bishops Hat baccatum Brazil
Datil chinense US via
Naga Morich chinense India
Aji Lemon baccatum Peru
Aji Yellow baccatum Peru
Cherry Pepper Hot annum Guyana
Cherry Pepper Mild annum Guyana Sweet Cayenne annum US Sweet Banana annum US Black Pearl annum
Cowhorn annum New Mexico
Maui Purple annum Hawaii Chinese 5 Color annum Unknown siling labuyo (bird pepper) frutescens SE Asia chiletepin
golden cayenne
morougah red

indoorstarts2012062.jpg

Overall, we hit about a 2/3rds germination rate.
J. Scotch bonnets and bishop caps bombed, only one naga morich (bummed).
Everything else started well, closer to 75% germ rate.

indoorstarts2012066.jpg

Began to pot up. 4 inch pots, media is a mix or organic soil, coco coir, perlite and vermiculite.
Once established, inoculated the seedlings with mycorrhizae and added "soil blast" from supreme growers (4-0-8).

indoorstarts2012067.jpg

Rotated pepper seedlings to grow under led, tomatoes starting under t5's.

indoorstarts2012003.jpg

indoorstarts2012007.jpg

And out to the greenhouse........

indoorstarts20120101.jpg

nice stuff. That root growth is great, nice and white. Sucks that you had a few bomb but that's the way it goes. My bonda ma jaques and a few others I was stoked about got burnt up upon first getting my grow under way....so I feel ya. Good luck with the rest of your grow.

Real pro looking stuff! Nice list as well! Can't wait to see how your organic season turns out.

Good luck this year!
Shane

Very nice! Your plants are looking good!!!

thank you Jon.... Thinking bout that tater tot recipe

Lookin good man!
Thanks Ryan... Just saw you put 72 in the dirt round valentines day... any news?

nice stuff. That root growth is great, nice and white. Sucks that you had a few bomb but that's the way it goes. My bonda ma jaques and a few others I was stoked about got burnt up upon first getting my grow under way....so I feel ya. Good luck with the rest of your grow.

Thanks David.
Looking forward to this season, and the new varieties..

lookin good :cool:

Thanks John... hope you have been well. Hope to do another trade with you this year.

Regards, Chris

Just checking in Alpha :cool: This should be a fun ride to some pods :flamethrower:

Hey Ben.. Just trying to juggle it all, like the rest of us....
Just looked up Goulburn on the map... Looks like a beautiful spot!

Yeah bro, Goulburn ain't a bad place only a small country town so have always grown my own vegies at one time or another. How much is the LED worth that your using?

Up-late update. We have been crazy busy this season with the early spring/ summer here in Georgia.
It doesn't mean we haven't been hard at work spreading the word and heat round the Peach State.
Over the last month, the pot ups (4inchers), spent some time in the sun in the greenhouse.
april15gardenpics015.jpg

We managed to pot up about 140 pepper plants and 200 heirloom tomato plants (4 inch pots/solo cups).

april15gardenpics006.jpg

april15gardenpics013.jpg

april15gardenpics011.jpg

Hydro basil (Italian and lime basil) organic lemon and limes round out a good selection for garden to table cocktails and meals.

april15gardenpics009.jpg

Next update... plants in the ground!

Really cool stuff! Tell us about the hydro system and the black wall units...are those hydro as well? Are the 140 peppers total? Or do you have more than that?

The hydro systems are a 28 site aeroponic system (center with basil), alphahydro 5 gallon dwc, (right on the sink with datil pepper plant), the black wall systems are vertical hydro drip systems to be planted with herbs later in the season, ( we usually rotate basil from the aeroponic system into the wall units) and the grey table( on left) is a flood table, which we will rotate pepper and tomato plants into as the season moves forward... http://thehotpepper....-aeration-pots/
The greenhouse is designed to be modular, allowing for "crop rotation" if you will, cloning, excess plant inventory and experiments with constant output.

About 2/3rds of the plants (pepper and tomato) go to our clients locally... the rest end up in our organic gardens, our community garden plot or with friends.

those vert wall units are the bees knees bro. Best way to grow indoors with them in an octagon shape with a bulb hung vert in the middle. so much more surface area compared to a horizontal grow hey. Also like the polycarbonate GH. Wish I had the money to get one, well one day I might be rich enough lol.

We managed to get some plants in the ground this week at our community garden plot here in Decatur Georgia.
A great addition to the Alphahydroponics garden, the community garden is a tremendous opportunity to grow more and share what we have learned here at The Hot Pepper. That said, we started with our allotted 6x12 raised bed with full sun exposure. We double dug the bed and then amended with organic soil, perlite and vermiculite. The overall depth of the bed is over 2 feet.
002.jpg

Our goal with this bed is to "go deep" with the roots and "get vertical" with the plants. To achieve these goals, we added 4 foot posts on the corners and sides, anchoring the posts in the bed, and to the frame.
004.jpg

We recycled some used lawn bags as weed block for the beds....
007.jpg

We added a thick layer of our composted organic mulch...
009.jpg

We chose a dozen plants that were ready to go in the ground....

013.jpg

We dropped 12 plants in the ground, and "framed out" the vertical posts with 3 levels of vegetable and plant support net...

023.jpg

2 Black pearl, 2 thai hot, 1 aji lemon, 1 red congo, 1 hanoi red, 1 chiletepin, 1 five color chinese, 1 maui purple, 1 hot cherry, and... 1 golden cayenne

022.jpg

A good soak, followed by 2 days of heavy rain right after planting should get this plot started....
Next update, 3 similar beds with the real heat, at the Alpha Hydroponics homestead garden... including 7 pots, Bhuts, Butch T's, T. scorps, red habs, etc... and a ton of heirloom tomatoes... Thanks for looking!

Back