• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jay's (Jordan's) small glog

I tend to lurk the Glog section, and decided that I like looking at pictures. So I'm putting up some of my own pictures (why not?) even if they are not very impressive. Anyways, here's the list

scorpion moruga

sunrise scorpion
7 pot barrackpore
red scotch bonnet
cayenne
jalapeno

Ill add more pictures soon. I'm moving over the next month (out of an apartment) and to a place with a backyard, so I'll have lots more space than I originally anticipated. Probably going to start some more soon, and will definitely be overwintering (live in Canada).

Se6wd.jpg

some scotch bonnets
tHHm3.jpg

cayennes
tRJ3M.jpg

I only used peat pots because I had them around, and haven't really had problems with them before.

I guess this is an update. Woot! everything isn't dead!

So the cayenne are flowering at about 7" tall. To pinch or not to pinch?

vtYcI.jpg

Scotch Bonnet
32u7b.jpg

Various Superhots
vpezU.jpg

They're not actually yellow, just look that way because of the light.

Stopped using peat pots, and transplanted all plants into plastic. I started to notice signs that the soil was too acidic, and since I haven't been feeding, I'm quite sure its from the peat.

Alright, update time! Thanks to some pretty awesome people on this forum my list has grown significantly. I contacted RedtailForester about his offer for free cherry pepper seeds, and he sent me 7 other varieties! I decided I could not wait until next year, and thus my list has grown. I'm also expecting a care package from romy6 any day now and so I expect the list to grow even more.

here we go;

The seeds from RedtailForester, thanks a ton man.
WSn8n.jpg

I decided to start one seed of each variety, whatever comes up I will grow, whatever doesn't will have to wait till next year.
x0hPD.jpg

2,7 pot barrackpore,1 sunrise scorpion, 2 scorpion moruga in that order
23KId.jpg

Scotch Bonnet
6RnjM.jpg

Lastly, the cayennes. Getting a little big since I'm still about a month from planting outside.
C2JIs.jpg

Looking good Jay, What are your outside overnight low temps. now? I find mine are fluctuating from the upper twenties to the low forties... say minus 3 to 4 degrees C. I don't heat my hoophouse, but I let the sun do the job by putting down a black plastic film called "thermal mulch" that I got from Johnny's Seeds of Maine. After tilling and spading in soil amendments I raked out the beds as evenly as I could to get the most contact between the soil and the thermal mulch as possible, then I put the hoophouse over that and put the chiles into the mulch. I'll bet you could put the Cayennes outside under those conditions at least. I have all my Annuums and Orange Habs outside now, and Eggplant and tomatoes too.

Right now our temps are about the same. -3 C in at night. And the hoophouse is a great way to get them outside earlier. My issue right now is that I have not done it before, and I leave saturday for florida (will be gone for about a week). So even if I get it up by then, I wouldn't be able to monitor them at all. I might give it a shot when I get back. Thanks!

Alright, update time. Recently I had the benefit of receiving a care package from romy, and man was it awesome! I hadn't actually eaten superhots before, so the dried bhuts kinda hurt, but hey, it was fun.
Alright here is some of what he sent.

1ZmxY.jpg

Also, I found the orange habanero at a nursery for 5 bucks, and couldn't resist since I was not growing any and they rarely sell them in the supermarkets up here. It was pretty thick and had a lot of branching. Anyways, I was pretty impressed.

vMJ2d.jpg

uPLRb.jpg

And here's the scotch bonnets and other super hots, getting a bit bigger. I've been hardening them off of the past week or so. Hopefully outside soon!!
slkbF.jpg

and the morugas, sunrise, and barrackpores
EevgN.jpg

Some new visitors have been hanging around....
tF1yy.jpg

Back