• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Better Late than Never

Hey all,

This is what I am currently working with.

3x3 Secret-Jardin Grow-tent
400w DIGILUX MH bulb (45,000) Lumes
Homemade exhaust fan
8inch clip fan for stem training
Seedlings started in Jiffy Pucks
Transplanted into solo cup with Jiffy Seedling Starter Mix
5.5 x 5.5 pots filled with 707 Organic Potting Mix

Started a bit late; but hey, with months to go who cares ?

--Mega

208ww3l.jpg

vp9b2t.jpg

11kjk9l.jpg

Nice little unit. Plants look like they're diggin' it!

Great setup, the bigger plants are looking healthy! When did you start them? They look to be about 3-4 weeks in my estimation. I could be way off, though!

What varieties do you have?

Larger pots:

Scotch Bonnet(x4)
TSBT(x2)
Bhut Jolokia(x5)
Fushimi
Yatzy(x2)
Tabasco
Pepperinchini(x2)
Giant Jalapeno
Early Jalapeno(x2)
Charleston Hot

Solo Cups:
7 Pot Jonah(x3)
Naga Morich(x3)
7 Pot Brain Strain(x2)
Chocolate Habenero(x2)
Doughlah(x2)
7 pot yellow(x2)
Chocolate Scorpion

Looks a little like either calcium deficiency, which weakens the cell walls and could cause them to shrivel up as the leaves grow. That, or it could be overwatering.

Not very much so, and I'm not sure if the alkalinity would be good for the leaves. I would recommend Cal-Mag Plus for foliar feeding. It's liquid, and dissolves quite readily in water. I use 1-2 Teaspoons per gallon of water, and have recently begun the upper end of that to combat some edema that was in its early stages on my leaves. I also was an overwaterer, but also underwatered some others. Having so many different types is really becoming a challenge when it comes to feeding, gauging plant health, and growth habits. Good luck!

It really is quite the challenge. Luckily I only have two out of 40 acting up on me as of now. Hopefully, that doesn't increase or if it does I am able to maintain until midmay. I am at a much higher comfort level when it comes to growing things out doors. I am trying to stay away from the Cal-Mag, no reason except for everyone uses it... I like being different. From what I hear peppers are pretty hearty plants, hopefully that works in my favor !

Cool, go with your own approach! I'm sure there are plenty of good calcium sources that are more water soluble. Another thing I thought of regarding dolomitic lime is that since it isn't really water soluble, it could clog the leaf pores. I could be totally off-base with that assumption, but it was just a thought.

I'm not a huge fan of foliar feeding pepper plants any way - other than in dire situations... Minor ones like you are having might best be corrected by simply putting some lime on the soil, and watering it... or re-potting with some dolomite in the soil already...

foliar feeding, especially indoors has the potential to cause more problems than its worth.

Looks like most everything is happy in the tent. I would also recommend Cal-Mag for the leaf curl. I know you wanna be different, but everybody uses it for a reason...it works. Every day that it goes unchecked is a day of good growth you could be missing.

But if you are gonna expirent, please post results. Maybe you find something that works.

What a difference five days makes !

From above:

eaoy1l.jpg

A Scotch Bonnet (plant from the upper left corner:

i6zaye.jpg

Should I be worried that it only seems to be growing out and not up, it is a good thing they are growing squat like this yeah ?

2mewej4.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone; your comments are appreciated.

-- Mega

Also there seem to have been a number of notscotchbonnet seeds going around the forum... Seeds that are supposed to have been bonnets, that are growing like annuums...

One reason for squat growth is your lights are too close. Raise them a bit and make the plants stretch some.

No offense but not wanting to use a product, Cal-Mag, because everyone elses uses it makes zero sense. If a product works, and we know it does because everyone uses it, then use it.

Now saying that I'm not sure a lack of calcium is the problem. The leaves on that plant looked a little cooked, how close to the lights were the two plants that are showing the curled leaf problems?

Patrick,

For me peeper growing isn't about producing the biggest hottest fastest growing peppers. It is an exercise into exploring part of the world I am unfamiliar with. Really it is an effort for me to distract from my extremely difficult job (Mental Health Clinician). Don't use Cal-Mag, don't use Pro-Mix. More fun talking to everyone here, and individuals at my local nurseries about what else might work. Nothing like distracting from constant conversations about delusions, suicide, demons jumping out of the walls etc. with those about what happens when i mix rocks with water and spray them on my plants.

-- Mega

Back