• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peppers and Toms - Round 2

Hi guys and gals!

For fun's sake, posterity, and for something to do this lazy Friday afternoon (I'm self-employed and nothing on the agenda today), I decided to chronicle this years gardening adventures. This is the second year I've lived in sunny Covina, CA, and although last years gardening hit several snags, I think I've learned a bit and hope to do better. I also enjoyed my habaneros so much that I decided to jump into the world of super hots!

So far I'm growing:

1. Last years standard orange habanero from Home Depot - recently re-potted and heavily pruned due to damage from a freak hail storm

IMG00042-20120323-1155.jpg

2. Two Trinidad Scorpion Peppers (recently purchased from the Cal State Fullerton Aboreum)

IMG00041-20120323-1155.jpg

The first one is healthier. It had good root developement and did not get much sun damage while hardening off. It's sister did. All my plants from Cal State were in terrible soil (very sandy, green time release fert bubbles), and were absolutely infested with bugs. I killed the bugs when I found them, and surprisingly they havn't come back. Plant #1 did have what I suspected was a mild case of powdery mildew - whitish residue on some of the leaves, although it could have been hard water stains or possibly something they sprayed on em at Cal State. Transplanted yesterday, pic is from today.

IMG00036-20120323-1152.jpg

Scorpion #2 was already a little light burned when purchased, and has not done as well. It has dropped about 35% of its leaves either by me pulling them off from bug infestation or from light burn. Transplanted today into a 16 oz. Styrofoam cup - I don't trust that soil. (Transplant pics in following post.)

3. One Bhut Jolokia (from Cal State, hopefully more to folllow; Red (4) & Chocolate (4) seeds from Spicegeist currently germinating in paper towels on the cable box.

IMG00035-20120323-1152.jpg

The Cal State Bhut was both the most infested plant from Cal State & the most light burnt. Transplanted to Styrofoam cup today to get it out of that soil.

4. One "Jamaican Yellow Pepper" from Cal State

IMG00040-20120323-1155.jpg

I don't know much about this guy. I wanted a Fatali, but the seedlings at the sale were essentially dead, little withered up things, so I looked for something to fill the void. This is what I got. Transplanted yesterday- was surprised at the minimal root development. Noticeably turned into the sun today - appears to like the sun more than any of the others; hasn't gotten sun burnt while in my care at all.

5. One Caribbean Red from Cal State

IMG00039-20120323-1154.jpg

I also wanted a Red Savina, but couldn't find them at the sale (they were on the list.) So I got this instead. It's very small and stocky, but was the least infested with bugs and has had no sunburn at all. Surprisingly good root development next to the Jamaican Yellow, which is twice as tall, and had about 1/4th of the root system. Transplanted yesterday.

6. Thai Hot Pepper

IMG00043-20120323-1156.jpg

From Home Depot, was transplanted when I repotted the Hab. Bugs have been munching him a bit, but otherwise looks pretty happy. Has his first round of pods forming.

7. Unknown Number of "Aji Mix" from Aji Joe (Thanks Joe.)

IMG00063-20120323-1226.jpg

I've got 2 rows, 2 seeds each in my seed germinator (4x2x2= possible 16), as well as a couple in paper towels. I was concerned when i burned a few tomato seedlings to death that I may have burned the peppers to. After digging through on peat pellet, I found that 2 seeds had yet to grow a tail; I removed them and put them in moist paper towels / ziplocks them to test for viability, with another 4 from my bag as controls. I decided to check another pellet, and found one with a small tail (it was brown though, and possibly torched, but I put it back in the pellet. ) I concluded I may have buried the pepper seeds to deeply.

8. Unknown Number of "Suprise Superhot Mix" from Aji Joe (Thanks again!.)

I planted 3 rows each with 2 seeds, so a total potential for 24 plants. No signs of life (or death) as I didn't investigate these pellets yet. Very easily could have burned em all. WIll conduct further autopsy investigations if I don't see any peppers in the next week, and I may start some of Joe's seeds back up in paper towels as well.

9. Tomatoes & Tomatillos

I have a couple of rows in the seed germinator of "Cherokee Purple," "Mortgage Lifter," and "Aunt Ruby's German Green", as well as a row of "Purple Tomatillos".A few have sprouted already. I'm nt sure but I think I buried them closer to the surface than I buried the peppers, which may have assisted in germination.

IMG00038-20120323-1154.jpg

I also have two hold overs in "Topsy Turveys" from last year....both are heirloom varieties that my girlfriends mom got me from QVC. I dont remeber the names as my dog ( a pup at the time) ripped into all of them, and nearly killed them before I planted. All packaging and name tags were destroyed. (She much better behaved now thank god...although we have a part time roommate with a Jack Russel who got into some of my other plants. One grows small yellow teardrop shaped tomatoes, and has been pretty bountiful over the last year. The other grows HUGE (grapefruit size) pink tomatoes, but only one at a time. There have been 3 of them over the last year, and there's a new one growing. Unfortunately, some animal ALWAYS eats it the day I decide "It looks pretty good- I'll pick it tomorrow."

IMG00050-20120323-1200.jpg

IMG00049-20120323-1159.jpg

IMG00050-20120323-1200.jpg

IMG00051-20120323-1200.jpg

Black Prince Tom (a victim of the ice storm, transplanted from a protein powder container to a large pot - the previous home of the habanero)...he's obviously got some issues, leaves curled in, some yellowing on some fo his new growth; he was in really crappy "Black Magic" soil I used last year, so hopefully the transplant solves the issue.

IMG00046-20120323-1157.jpg

Celebrity (Another victim of the ice storm, note the lower leaves, but doing perfectly since.)

IMG00044-20120323-1156.jpg

Red Beefsteak (saved from the ice storm because he was attacked by the Jack Russel and was recuperating inside for a few days prior to planting.)

IMG00045-20120323-1156.jpg

Today's transplants:

Yesterday I transplanted the first Scorpion, the Jamaican Yellow and the Caribbean Red into pots - I felt they were sufficiently hardened off to move to partial sun outside, and I wanted them out of the Cal State soil. Today, the 2nd Scorpion and the Bhut got transplanted into cups. (See below.)

1. Soil

IMG00052-20120323-1200.jpg

I transplanted them into a mixture of "Empire Builder"( http://sanctuarysoil.com/2011/empire-builder/ )(mostly coco, w/ worm castings and some other stuff, the guy at the hydro shop recommended it, but it was $20 for 2cu,) cheap Sta-Green Potting soil (in CA it's mostly peat as far as I can tell, it seems much lighter than the crap "Black Magic" I used last year, and is $3.75 / cu. at Lowe's,) and a bag of perlite (I ran out yesterday, so not shown - I did mix the remainder into the other bags.)

I had a plan that may or not work...since I didn't have a large bin or anything to mix in, I was mixing in each pot...so I did a layering scheme...

bottom 20% (long time before the roots get there ) - ALL Sta-Green + perlite....

next 40% - 50/50 Empire Builder and Sta-Green w/ perlite

transplant area (next 30%) - 70/30 Empire Builder and Sta-Green w/ perlite

Top 10 % (roots never go here in my experience) - ALL Sta-Green + perlite....

My thinking is maximize my dollar not wasting the good stuff in areas the plant doesn't need it, while also adding some moisture retention and a little bit of build-in fertilization.

2. Water

IMG00056-20120323-1206.jpg

While I'm not positive, I've been told that water in this area is 8.5ph. So i spike my water with lemon juice at a rate of a teaspoon per galon, and include nutes at 1/4 strength. Nutes are 10-15-10 I think....maybe a little light on N at this stage, but oh well. I use this mix to both wash the roots and water the plants into their new homes.

3. Technique

Today I used 100% Empire Builder for the 2nd TSP and Bhut. It is spiked with perlite from the end of the perlite bag. They havn't been doing too well and hopefully this will kick start them a bit. I put them in 16 oz. styrofoam cups I got at the 99 Cent store (20 for a dollar.) I prefer them to plastic keg cups for a coupe of reasons, primarily how easy it is to make holes in the bottom for drainage (I poked a screwdriver through, although a pencil also works) and when you transplant into something bigger, you can just tear the cup apart and transplant everything intact into the next vessel.

IMG00054-20120323-1204.jpg

I take the plants, turn them on their side, and massage the pot...eventually the plant pops out.

IMG00057-20120323-1208.jpg

TSP roots

IMG00060-20120323-1216.jpg

Bhut Roots

If I like the soil, I gently rub the edges to get some of the outer roots loose to promote growth in the new medium. Here, I hated the sandy nasty soil, so messaged a little big more aggressively than usual, while being careful NOT to damage the roots (these guys don't have any to spare.) At the recommendation of another THP user, I then used my water mix to wash away even more of the soil (sorry forgot to note who - in a post you advised it as a method to avoid transplant shock, which does definitely seem to work based on how happy all of my plants have been after using this technique.)

TSP- It's kind of hard to see, but what looks like dirt and roots is almost 100% roots.

IMG00058-20120323-1209.jpg

Bhut -

IMG00061-20120323-1218.jpg

At this point, the cups have been filled almost entirely with Empire Builder. I then carve out a hole in the center, as deep as I want the plant to go. I like fairly dense roots, so I compacted the roots more than they had been in their previous homes and tried to arrange them so they would spread evenly throughout the cups. I then compact the sides enough to keep the plant upright, and then add a little more Empire Builder to get the level of the medium up the stem a bit for stability. Then water them in with my 1/4 strength nute & lemon juice water mix.

4. Done!

IMG00064-20120323-1228.jpg

soil is so important :)

what soil did you transplant into?

Funny, you posted that while I was writing the next post...which starts with the heading of "SOIL". :halo:

I think this Empire Builder is good stuff, here's whats in it (taken from the website):

INGREDIENTS

Empire Builder Producers Blend contains generous amounts of perfectly mineral balanced and microbe enhanced ingredients:
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Available Phosphate (P2O5): 0.07%
Soluble Potash (K2O): 0.52%
Derived from rock phosphate, potassium
sulfate.
ALSO CONTAINS NONPLANT FOOD INGREDIENT:
0.6% Humic acid from lignite.
SOIL AMENDING INGREDIENTS: Coco Coir,
Sphagnum Peat Moss, Composted Forest
Humus, Worm Castings, Coco Chips, Lava
Rock, Pumice, Perlite, Gypsum, langbeinite,
sea bird and bat guano, fish bonemeal, feather
meal, bonemeal, limestone, greensand, alfalfa
meal, kelp meal, glacial rock dust, azomite,
soybean meal, and rice bran.

I wonder how one would go about harvesting coco coir, and if it would be worth it... I go to the keys almost every year where coconuts are commonplace.

The husk is QUITE hard though, so I'm thinking toss a bunch of coconut husk through a wood chipper?

Ken

Also I wonder if it would be worth mixing everything up thoroughly, and comparing it to another plant of the same type in the layered mix...

I wonder how one would go about harvesting coco coir, and if it would be worth it... I go to the keys almost every year where coconuts are commonplace.

The husk is QUITE hard though, so I'm thinking toss a bunch of coconut husk through a wood chipper?

Ken

Also I wonder if it would be worth mixing everything up thoroughly, and comparing it to another plant of the same type in the layered mix...

Ken, your guess is as good (actually probably better) than mine as far as how to harvest coco coir.

I thought about doing a comparison grow of the layering vs. completely mixed, but I'd need more comparable plants than I have now. To get any kind of scientific validity I'd need sizable and roughly equal sample groups (which I may have enough of if and when the seeds pop. ) So maybe I'll test the concept when I have a few more plants to pot.

UPDATES:

Transplanted the little Scorp and the Bhut into full sized pots...they had been spending days outside and nights under a 65w compact flouro I found in my garage, but I wanted to move them out permanently. They weren't rootbound yet in the cups so it may have been premature, but I'm trying to advance the older peppers to permanent homes outside so I can use the table to harden off my tomato sprouts.

IMG00089-20120405-1235.jpg

Scorp...

IMG00094-20120405-1251.jpg

Bhut...

IMG00092-20120405-1250.jpg

IMG00093-20120405-1250.jpg

transplant method...put the cup in the pot,, fill with dirt, remove cup, cut a seam, remove the rootball, rinse w/ water (in the case i tried to preserve the soil to the best of my ability while getting the roots on the edge loose) , place rootball in hole, collapse edges to provide support to the plant, water in, then add cheap topsoil.

In this case I used entirely the Empire Builder in the pots and only used the cheap stuff for cover soil to raise the level of the soil to where I wanted it.

Also, since I have had a miserable time with seed germination, I started another batch yesterday. I put 9 Red Savina seeds (thanks Spicegeist) into a cup of warm water with a small amount of hydrogen peroxide, and let it sit 24 hours. At the beginning 8 floated, and one sank. By this morning, 2 more had sank to the bottom. While carrying the cup outside to transplant the seeds, one more sank.

I labeled the cups "floater" and "sinker". 100% Empire Builder in the cups, then watered prior to inserting the seeds; used a pencil to make a small 1/4" to 1/8" hole, and plopped the seeds in accordingly. Its possible it was just placental tissue bleached by the peroxide, but it appeared that 2 of the seeds (1 sinker, 1 floater) had small roots already, about 24 hours after submersion in the water. One of the "sinkers" (not the one with the potential root) didn't fit in my makeshift tupper ware humidity dome, so I parked his cup in a planter in the yard and will let nature take its course for better or for worse. The 8 others are sitting in the shade covered by saran wrap. I put a thermometer in, in the sun the temp hit 95, but is holding steady at 80 in the shade.

IMG00090-20120405-1246.jpg

IMG00095-20120405-1259.jpg

Also, my poor Thai got rocked pretty hard by leaf miners. I gave him a pretty sever haircut, taking off pretty much all of his older growth. I found one scale-like insect on the bottom of a leaf and crushed it, it was about the size of the very smallest prescription pills. (Cant think of any examples off the top but the really, really small pills.) I also founds black specks in or on several other leaves, but it was unclear to me whether they were necrotic tissue of the leaf itself or invaders.

IMG00081-20120405-1020.jpg

IMG00082-20120405-1020.jpg

The other peppers are growing, if slightly slowly. Will add some pics soon.

Nice grow log, hope you can bring the life back in to the poor plants! They are resilient!

Nice to see someone else from Covina on here, I grew up there all my life and my parents still have the same house!

Best of luck to you!

UPDATE WITH PICS....

It's been up & down for me the last few weeks, things seem to be going well then BAM disaster strikes...then I move past that disaster, things are good again, new disaster. But the good thing about disasters, is that for the most part, they are preventable and I am learning from my mistakes.

1. My seedlings....

about 2 weeks ago. As some of you may know, I was having a hell of a time germinating earlier this year. Well, I managed to get pretty good germ rates on my 3rd round of attempts (over 75%) having built a shelf with a lighting unit I can use for heat and using the paper towel method in "salsa containers" (mine were Greek olives but same thing.) I actually ended up with more seedlings than I expected, and was both happy but not sure what to do with them all. Well, last week I had an outbreak of damping off and lost about half of em, so that takes care of that. More on the damping off later.
IMG00138-20120504-1309.jpg

2. The Arboretum crew, from about 10 days ago.

From the left : Bhut, TSP 1, TSP 2, Jamaican Hot Yellow, Caribbean Red.

I've had good growth lately, but was getting SLAUGHTERED by aphids. At the recommendation of several members, I got Bonide 3-in-1 Vegetable....but I could only find the premixed one. The sprayer is HORRIBLE. I wasted a ton of the stuff and burned my leaves. I strongly suggest the concentrate if you an find it, and using your own sprayer. (I transferred the remaining solution to a $1 spray bottle, it works much better...the stock sprayer is like a power squirt gun, too direct and powerful to obtain any kind of coverage, you just shoot right through and past your plants.)
IMG00139-20120504-1309.jpg

3. Aji Seedling - 10 days ago

Aji mix from Aji Joe seedling, my only successful seedling from my first batch. Lately has been getting munched on pretty badly but will be getting transplanted to a 3 gallon pot soon.

IMG00141-20120504-1312.jpg

4. Formerly damped off tomato

Proof that damp off isn't 100% guaranteed death. I treated this girl by hitting the spot HARD with h202. I tried the same with several peppers, they did not take as well, but they were smaller than this gal when she was sick...this is several weeks after treatment.

IMG00142-20120504-1313.jpg

5. The Arboretum Crew, today

Transplanted to larger pots, into my new homemade soil mix(es) (various blends of peat, Miracle Grow Moisture Control, compost and manure..I ran out of the MG long before I was done planting, and due to drainage issues I've backed off the peat ratio in favor of higher compost ratios...current formula is more or less 35% perlite, 25% compost, 25% peat, 15% steer manure ) .

From left:

Jamaican Hot Yellow, Scorpion #2, Caribbean Red, Bhut, Scorpion #1

IMG00149-20120515-1136.jpg

6. Overwintered Orange Habanero...

Trying to save this plant after a freak hailstorm led me to THP and got me into all of this. I had it in another spot over dirt, it had a ton of flowers but was dropping them all. I poked around and realized all its drainage was blocked and a colony of slugs was living under it. I took care of that, bored out all of the drainage holes on the bottom, and added some holes on the sides of the bucket as well. Also trimmed holes in the bottom rim so that air can flow beneath the pot. Since doing so, it seems to have gone back to growing leaves and I'm not seeing as many flowers. Tomatoes from seeds in the background.
IMG00150-20120515-1136.jpg

7. Sadie the guard cat protecting the peppers

Ever vigilant, she protects the yard from lizards and other vermin, when shes not sleeping at least.

IMG00151-20120515-1136.jpg

8. The damped off and otherwise dying seedlings...

The 4 on the right have confirmed damp off (despite looking better than the 4 on the left) and were treated with h202 and a soil line spraying of the bomide. The 4 on the left were badly wilted and I may have overreacted by hitting them hard with h202 as well, as they got worse. After poking around under the soil, I didn't find any damp off. They may have wilted due to the high heat and recent transplantation and then I blasted em. Unclear if any will live, they are currently in quarantine in the kitchen where it doesn't get too hot or bright.
IMG00152-20120515-1137.jpg

Damp Off-

Considering this has been such an issue for me (my first batch of seedlings essentially damped off before they sprouted) and now I've had another outbreak, I thought I would touch on the subject a little.

First off, I wish I had germinated and started using some form of medium with anti fungal properties. Promix BX supposedly has antifungal agents, and I'm not sure what other mediums may, maybe some seed starter mixes? Anyhow, it would have saved me quite a bit of headache and heartache to prevent this issue in the first place.

Secondly, I was definitely over watering. I was top watering, and had gotten into "tomato mode" in terms of quantity and frequency (As I had just switched the seedling into the location the tomatoes were in prior to them being transplanted into 3 gallon pots.) . These seedling were doing well when I was only spraying the soil lightly with a spray bottle - I should have continued the practice, but I began pouring from gallon jugs directly into their containers. Also, I was prematurely feeding with diluted nutrient solution, when they probably should have still just been on plain water.

Third- The heat wave. Both times I've had issues this year with damp off, it's been when the weather hits 90 degrees F or higher. I had been hardening off the plants by giving them time in the sun, but when some of the wilted really badly, i checked and found the damp off.

Fourth- from what I understand, you can add 1 tablespoon per gallon of h202 to your water to prevent damp off and sterilize your medium. Rather than hitting the sick plants with extremely high quantities of h202 after the fact, i wish I had taken to this practice before.

Given all my thoughts on the cause of the problem and various preventative measures ( antifungal agents, do not overwater, do not expose to high heat.) Here is my method that has worked for me with tomatoes, but has not YET proven effective with any of my peppers.

1. Diagnose the damp off/ expose the damp off site

If you suspect damp-off, dig around the plant under the soil line. If there is a suspiciously skinny area of the stem below the soil line, your plant is affected.

2. Apply 3% h202 to the damp-off site

It can be a challenge to apply directly to the "wound", but try to get it on there.

3. Apply diluted h202 to the medium

Flush the medium with a 4-to-1 water to h202 solution.

4. Apply dry, sterile soil to the top layer

Add dry sterile soil along the length of the stem, right up to the leaves. The hope is that the plant will be able to support itself despite the damp off long enough to heal the wound or develop roots above the infection site - but we need to provide physical support and prevent further infection in the meantime.

5. Wait.

After the flush, the plant shouldn't need any water for quite a while. Keep the plant out of direct sunlight or high temps. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Here are some pictures of my seedlings that I treated.

NOTE: I don't recommend this method, it was not successful, only one of the shown plants is still alive and its on deaths door. Better not to uproot them while treating. For those with no experience with damp off, look at the stems of the plants a little above the roots...they are all shriveled up, preventing the plant from sending nutrients up the stem from the roots to the leaves.

IMG00143-20120509-1327.jpg

IMG00146-20120509-1328.jpg

IMG00148-20120509-1353.jpg

6/20/12/ Update...

Things have been chugging along fairly well. I have pods on one of my T Scorps, the Jamaican Hot Yellow, an Aji Joe Aji Mix (only pepper from seed with pods yet), and of course the overwintered Orange Hab. (And the Hot Thai has a bunch of bright red pods. Pretty tasty peppers.)

I lost a good number of my seedlings to damp-off (8 of 9 Red Bhuts got it, 1 of the afflicted survived,) and all the peppers have a fair amount of insect damage. I was using a veggie-safe spray but I think I'll let nature tackle it from here on out.

Thanks to KINGDENNIS for the new bhut & the pods! And I beleive WindChicken for the Carribean Red. Tasty in tuna salad & in burritos!

Pics-

IMG00177-20120620-1655.jpg

My guard dog Autumn and the peppers...I've been experimenting with placement and they seem to like it over there by the fence where they get fewer hours of direct sunlight.

IMG00178-20120620-1655.jpg

Top view of some pods on the T Scorp...not growing in the classic scorp stinger shape, but I'm going to assume the Fullerton Arboretum didn't pull a bait and switch.

IMG00179-20120620-1655.jpg

One of the Jamaican Hot Yellow's w/ characteristic mushroom shape. About half of the pods are shaped like this, others are rounder.

IMG00181-20120620-1714.jpg

Aji pod...I will be looking for some help ID'ing the strain once they are done growing f/ Aji Joe's mix.

IMG00182-20120620-1714.jpg

Closer side view of some T Scorps ( I think theres 5 viewable in this pic, the plant has maybe 15-20 growing right now.) Nice wrinkly texture but the pod shape is a little disappointing.

Thanks for tuning in & please feel free to leave some feedback - it's getting lonely in here!

Back