• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing through winter - Brisbane, Aus

Hey guys first post time,

First of all the info on this site is incredible and has really got me right into this (always been a bit of a gardener but never chillies/peppers). So anyway this has really sparked my interest so much I got started maybe back in Jan however due to many issues (possums, shading, grubs) I've moved my production to pots where I should be able to cut back the possum and shading issues at least.

My main question is anyone on this forum from around Brisbane that has grown through winter? I've just moved up so not sure what it's like. Just wondering if I should be getting my hopes up or be patient that I'll have a mega head start come next summer

Here is a link for our climate statistics so other people can voice their opinions: http://www.bom.gov.a...cw_040913.shtml

Just realised i put this in the grow log section, my bad, may just have to start putting up pictures and no-one will know my error...

Can't help you with your question, but :welcome: to the forum from the Pacific NorthWest USA!

Its an introduction Glog :D

Well im not to far from you, im doing the same right now (check my glog) im trying to get ahead ready for spring.

Trippa is just down the coast from you, he can advise more than me because im new to the area also (first winter).
And im sure there are guys in Vegas growing through winter, show us some pics.

Mezo.

I'll put some pics up soon, but I'm afraid my list will pale in comparison to others. Mainly I'm looking to make sauces that are a balance between heat and flavour so any suggestions for some others will be good to, and some pics come this afternoon if it's not raining (seems to always be afternoon showers here) But so far I've only got:
- 2 Chocolate Habs growing (1 is struggling but I'll explain tonight)
- Scotch Bonnets (just planted the seeds)
- Jalapeno (just planted the seeds)
- Orange Scorpian (just planted the seeds)
I'll see if I can organise to borrow the GF's camera she'll probably think it's for taking nice photos of us together, then I may get murdered if "It's about those damn chillies again".

Sack GF, grow more chilli`s. :D

Are you planting the seeds direct in soil? or on to Jiffys or on a paper towel in a baggie?

Mezo.

I bought one of those electric propagators from bunnings because I originally was trying to grow straight in punnets naturally but had a hard time moving them around to keep constant warmth. I didn't really know about jiffy's because most seeds i'd evergrown pretty much came up no problem at all without all these other things haha.
So without further ado, some photos...
First one here is the garden bed of the place I moved into my eyes just lit up there are 10 bays or so that are about 2X0.75m, only trouble was instant possum attacks on parsley they love the stuff and even with my intense fence last night i'd found they had jumped on part of it so that it would bend and ate the parsley anyway, so I've rigged up something else tonight and will post about it.
27597664SgS.jpg

So my habaneros were meant to be going in here but as you can see by the picture it was starting to shade and i lost 3 and only had two survivors (I was hoping the sun would get below the level of this tree to save them but didn't). So without further ado my survivors (note one is very stunted)
27597665kNi.jpg

So in the middle we have my only proper survivor to the long wet period/being shaded. On the left are some mild cherry peppers and on the right are some red bell peppers. The next is the stunted who is now loving his new spot and even though he only had one leaf after a snail/caterpillar he started growing a new true leaf so booyah, i was pretty surprised as the others looked a lot healthier. I'm curious though the other choc habs had purplish bases and this one didn't? Could I be getting a mystery plant or am i just hopeful
27597667BfR.jpg

And last but not least my seed raising:
27597668ROU.jpg

As i see how these ones go (possums etc) I'll decide if I can put more in (I bought pots ready for different types)

BTW the shading that occurs is due to avocado and mango trees (you win some you lose some) there is also some banana and lime trees about too and I think an apricot but can't really tell because possums destroyed it....As you could probably tell there are a lot of possums and I cannot stand them.

Okie doke so minor update update to my blog not very exciting compared to others but getting there. I've also increased my range and now growing:
Chocolate Hab
Scotch Bonnet
Jalapeño
Orange Scorpion
Cherry Pepper
And I'm waiting for some seeds in the post from my sister being some cayenne and some thai chillies that she got from this thai lady that lives out on a property nearby.
So pic time, these first two are of my choc hab the first he looks a little wilted but it's just the angle I think hence the second photo but i thought the first is cool because it has started setting out more leaves from the nodes which I assume is a good thing?

27804198lAM.jpg

27804201oom.jpg

This next photo is of my Cherry Pepper he took the place of a choc hab that died due to heat:
27804199aDU.jpg

This was taken the other day I now have 3/3 of these scotch bonnets up man THSC is gooood:
27804202ieu.jpg

And then last but not least the left over seedlings that still need transplanting the punnet with heaps is just red capsicum and the punnet with two in is are cherry peppers I haven't yet decided what I'm doing with.
IMG_2431.jpg

27804200pZS.jpg

So I've lost 1 choc hab and two jalapeño seedlings to heat/drying out because I just didn't realise that it was going to be too hot that day so I'm just hoping my other choc habs come through but they seem to take foreverrrr. Also with my last order I bought some Yellow 7 Turkey Slap and Skobiyan from THSC...delicious is all i can say on the matter.

Also I was thinking of using electric fence fibre glass poles for support what do people think? I thought they might be a go because they will offer support but also a bit of give to allow for the plant to develop it's own self support. We have a heap lying around since set lines became illegal in NSW. Pretty damn strong as I've seen them keep a 20kg murray cod at bay.

Hey Peakey. You've got some nice plants to go forward with.
Good luck battling the ups and down of growing peppers!

Also I was thinking of using electric fence fibre glass poles for support what do people think? I thought they might be a go because they will offer support but also a bit of give to allow for the plant to develop it's own self support. We have a heap lying around since set lines became illegal in NSW. Pretty damn strong as I've seen them keep a 20kg murray cod at bay.

Electric fence would work but you must keep it from earthing out though, water running down to the ground from your fence will drain the battery real quick as will a plant growing up & touching the fence.

Wouldn't be quicker & easier to just pop the possum in the head with a .22 or are they protected here in Aussie?

Mezo.

Haha sorry Mezo I meant for the plants :P. I really wished that this could happen, I'm from rural NSW/VIC and we've never had any pest problems bigger than a small rat suffice to say :D.

Possums are protected, pretty ridiculous its a $5000 fine if you even relocate them more than 50m from your house... And I happen to live in possum capital.

Cheers Benzo, the picture quality will go down probably as I'll switch to my phone instead of camera as I ended it with the gf and it was her camera. In her angry post-break-up message had the nerve to attack the chilli plants, talk about burning bridges there :P :D. Growing things is boring apparently :P.

Possums are protected, pretty ridiculous its a $5000 fine if you even relocate them more than 50m from your house... And I happen to live in possum capital.

Im glad you told me that, we have possums as well & a .22 :D

In NZ they are regarded as pests (and rightly so) most Kiwi`s when they spot one by the side of the road swerve there cars & try & hit them.

Mezo.

Back