• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Surprise in the garden

With a freeze forecast tonight I went out and gathered what tomatoes there were and threw the vines in my compost pile. I spotted a weed and needing some more green stuff, pulled it up. But it isn't a weed.

Back at the end of May I had planted some Hab and Thai Dragon seed. None came up, perhaps because it was cold and rainy. The tomatoes and bell peppers, which were transplanted grew pretty good and shadowed the area. I didn't ever see anything come up and forgot about them.

Well, they did end up coming up. Seven of them, and I think they are the Thais - they don't have the same leaf as the habs. Some are only about three inches tall but two of them have blooms/buds on them.

I've dug them up but the soil is too loose for the roots to retain. So I put dirt in a container, added some potting soil around where the roots are (covering them) and then added more dirt on top. I plan on soaking the dirt and keeping them in the shade for a couple of days. This worked with a small hab that a cat pulled up from a bed and it didn't really have any roots to speak of.

Looks like I'll have to add lights sooner than I thought - at least I hope so.

Pam,

I was really worried for a while. The largest one, the one with blooms and buds, was drooping real bad, even though it had been in the shade and everything. But after drenching it with water - basically turning the top half of the planter into almost mud, and sticking it out of the way but still where a grow light can reach it, it has straightened up and looks perky. The next couple of days will be crucial but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Even if all seven don't survive, I'm thrilled with any.

Back