• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chewi's 2012 Growing Season

Cleaning out the raised beds this weekend. Got the trees trimmed up a little to let a bit more light through. Good start so far. Two days and counting and these boys, along with a few others will be going in the ground. Thinking of putting one or two in a pot for kicks. If I didn't just go ahead and start this now, I wouldn't have the before and after effect. So here goes! Hoping there aren't 100 days over 100 degrees this summer!

PEP.jpg

Bottom to Top: Clover (son's), three African Fish Peppers, two Sante Fe, Mucho Nacho, Mammoth, 7 Pot Brown Bonnet Shaped (from AJ)

Hey, Chewi, welcome to Glogosphere 2012! Looks like you've got a good start there...

now, I know I need to pinch or cut these, just don't exactly know where. Right at the base or just cut the little buds? I'm sure not doing this last year set me back a bit.

IMG018.jpg

In the ground!
Back: Cayenne, 7Pod Brown Bonnet Shaped (AJ), Cayenne
Middle: Peter, Super Chili, Peter
Front: Aji Limon, African FIsh, African Fish, Aji Limon
IMG057.jpg

Bed #2
Back: Serranos
Middle: Cayennes
Front: Fresno, Jap, Fresno
IMG058.jpg

Your plants look like they are enjoying the raised beds a lot!

So here is an update for this week. Aji Limon looking good.
IMG082.jpg

First Fresno!
IMG081.jpg

Looks like too much water, not much I can do since it is free sky water.
IMG079.jpg

2nd bed looking better. There was some kind of monster having a feast on the jalapeno plant. I squished a bunch of caterpillar looking bugs. Seems to be recovering nicely.

You'll see the largest plant on the left, one of the Fresnos. It gets a little more light each day, and its starting to get a bit bigger than the others already. This light issue corrects itself in a few months as the sun come on back around.

IMG107.jpg

That same first Fresno is still growing.....

IMG109.jpg

The bigger Fresno, aka light hog:

IMG110.jpg

So far May is almost over and nothing drastically horrible has happened, hope I didn't jinx it!

So far May is almost over and nothing drastically horrible has happened, hope I didn't jinx it!

Knock on wood, Chewi! Good growing to you, bro!

Looks good Chewi! Lots of growth since putting into the ground. You got good things going man! I'm having the same problem with all the buds starting. On 35 plants that I got, I can't keep up with it. You should have some nice peppers, and can't wait for them peters to grow. Really want to see them! Keep it up man!

your plants look great!!!!!! I think I am going to take mine out of the pot and put them in the ground soon. The ones that are healthy

Went out hunting for bugs this evening.....grabbed a few pics before it got too dark.

Twins!!
Twins.jpg

African Fishies

Fish.jpg

Hey! First Peter Pepper 2012!

Peter.jpg

Aji Limon.........man are these taking forever. The next Jap wasn't even born before this one!

AjiLimon.jpg

Mucho Nacho, should be turning a bit red.....anytime now...seriously..anytime!

BigJap.jpg

Temps supposed to start hitting the 100's next week so we'll see. Probably all I'll have until September. Time to pray for shade!

Temps supposed to start hitting the 100's next week so we'll see. Probably all I'll have until September. Time to pray for shade!
Hi Cherwi, Have you thought of using shade cloth over your chiles? You could set some T posts in the corners of your raised beds and use wire or something like baling twine around the tops of the posts and lay the shade cloth over the frame. Stake down the edges with sod staples and you're done. If you want to leave an opening for pollinators just don't do the north side.

Hey stickman, thanks for stopping by! I am going to have to really think about that here pretty soon. Doesn't sound all that difficult and well......Home Depot is just around the way!

I'm sub'd. I live a mouse fart away...we should get together and burn some dead animals for consumption, and stare at chile plants.

Reading your glog was a lot like reading mine. I had the same holes...turned out to be armyworms. I also went on early evening bug-hunts. But...I always had a beer in one hand...and flashlight in the other...

well just was out yesterday starting the grill and noticed a Fish pepper out of the corner of my eye. Had to have been hiding. I was sure I wasn't going to have any more fruit until after August for sure. Cool.

IMG194.jpg

Lunchbox, you are just around the bend man! I had some green catipillar looking things with death fangs, aphids, ants, really fast red dots. The only thing I haven't had this year is fert burn. I actually learned one lesson in 2011.

So...anything new to talk about today...or has the CAP got your tongue... :onfire:

Seriously though...it was nice to meet you...and exchange a few pods!

It does..it does! I can not lie. My faith in peppers has been totally renewed. God bless Texas! Good to meet Lunchbox .5 too!

Finally have one turning red. Bout time!

cayenney.jpg

and this guy is still trying to grow

fishy.jpg

haven't killed any plants this year, not too bad!

Back