289 replies to this topic

#281 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,420 posts
  • aka:Iron Mike

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:48 AM

Lol "absolutely not"? What exactly are you risking? Do the laws of nature apply to woozy bottles but not canning jars?

edit: if you read the link I posted you will see it's perfectly safe. 

That's news to me (shrug)

I would think that HFH would be fine for plastisol lined woozy caps, but not enough for sealing the "waxy/rubbery" seal on a canning jar lid. I figured there was a reason the NCHFP recommend you BWB in boiling water for a minimum of 10 minutes. That allows enough heat and time to soften up the seal on the jars. Plastisol would completely melt away at that high of a temp for that long; that's why HFH is recommended

Dunno. I'd strictly BWB in canning jars, but that's just me :cheers:
GIVE WAR A CHANCE

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#282 PtMD989

PtMD989

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

I never thought of the fact that HFH with mason jars wouldn’t be hot enough to seal, or even hold heat long enough to create a vacuum seal like BWB does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#283 ColdSmoke

ColdSmoke

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:44 PM

Cannabis Hot Sauce

https://instagram.com/p/BfJkVxXhkFn/

Interesting contraption. I think its a Tommy Chong product.

#284 ColdSmoke

ColdSmoke

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:45 PM

Cannabis Hot Sauce

https://instagram.com/p/BfJkVxXhkFn/

Interesting contraption. I think its a Tommy Chong product.

#285 jhc

jhc

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:31 PM

I never thought of the fact that HFH with mason jars wouldn’t be hot enough to seal, or even hold heat long enough to create a vacuum seal like BWB does.

Just the opposite. The larger volume of liquid to fill a mason jar will take longer to get up to temp but once that's achieved, it will cool more slowly than the 5oz sauce in a woozy.

#286 jhc

jhc

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

That's news to me (shrug)

I would think that HFH would be fine for plastisol lined woozy caps, but not enough for sealing the "waxy/rubbery" seal on a canning jar lid. I figured there was a reason the NCHFP recommend you BWB in boiling water for a minimum of 10 minutes. That allows enough heat and time to soften up the seal on the jars. Plastisol would completely melt away at that high of a temp for that long; that's why HFH is recommended

Dunno. I'd strictly BWB in canning jars, but that's just me :cheers:

Fillmore sells platisol lined one piece lids for mason jars. They tell you to simmer the caps 5-10 min before using to soften the plastisol. But these are only for hot fill applications, the one piece lids don't work so well for BWB

#287 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 13,267 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

BWB mason jars- the BWB instructions take into account that the jars may be filled with room temp food, like peaches.  The whole thing has to come up to temp in the boiling water.  Pints are usually bwb for 10 minutes, quart jars are for longer.  Things like jam/jelly are processed without the BWB.  Jars are hot, jam is hot, lids are pre-cooked in hot water to sanitize and soften the gasket.  Jars are filled and capped hot, so when everything cools the vacuum happens.

Most plastic woozy lids are not rated for immersion in hot water, hence the HFH method.

There are some metal woozy caps with rubber liners (like the rubber ring on mason jar lids) that can be BWB.  

IF- the sauce has low pH, the sauce is heated, the jars are hot, the lids are simmered....then it should be OK to fill and cap without a BWB.  Use common sense.  If in doubt, do the BWB.   

Edited by salsalady, 14 February 2018 - 11:37 AM.

• jhc likes this

PureEvilProducts

The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"

PepperPeopleRock! 

#288 PtMD989

PtMD989

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for the replies.

#289 jhc

jhc

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

BWB mason jars- the BWB instructions take into account that the jars may be filled with room temp food, like peaches.  The whole thing has to come up to temp in the boiling water.  Pints are usually bwb for 10 minutes, quart jars are for longer.  Things like jam/jelly are processed without the BWB.  Jars are hot, jam is hot, lids are pre-cooked in hot water to sanitize and soften the gasket.  Jars are filled and capped hot, so when everything cools the vacuum happens.

Most plastic woozy lids are not rated for immersion in hot water, hence the HFH method.

There are some metal woozy caps with rubber liners (like the rubber ring on mason jar lids) that can be BWB.  

IF- the sauce has low pH, the sauce is heated, the jars are hot, the lids are simmered....then it should be OK to fill and cap without a BWB.  Use common sense.  If in doubt, do the BWB.   

Thanks SL. What are your thoughts about bottling BBQ sauces at home using HFH? Assuming pH<4 and no oils involved, does the larger amount of sugar change anything compared to a more typical hot sauce?

#290 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 13,267 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:58 PM

Thanks SL. What are your thoughts about bottling BBQ sauces at home using HFH? Assuming pH<4 and no oils involved, does the larger amount of sugar change anything compared to a more typical hot sauce?

....not really, as long as the pH is <4.0, and there aren't any oils in the sauce, processing is the same. 

There are tons of bbq sauce recipes with or with out sugar, all seem to have vinegar.  Some hot sauces have sugar in them.  Carrots have a lot of natural sugars and no acidity, and there are companies that make carrot based sauces only.  I can't say for certain, but I'm guessing these all use HFH. 

Hanna Instruments offers This pH meter.  Thanks, Boss, for linking this in another thread.  For $50, it's a unit that pretty much everyone can afford.  With the buffer solutions and such, it's probably less than $90 all in. 

Another Hanna meter for food-

Edited by salsalady, 14 February 2018 - 05:03 PM.

• jhc likes this

PureEvilProducts

The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"

PepperPeopleRock! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests