• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

7 pot the evergrowing species

OK for those of you who have been growing for awhile and those of you who collect rare seeds just how many 7pot varieties are there?
I now have:
7pot
7 pot brown
7pot douglah
7pot chocolate
7pot chaguanas
7pot white
7pot jonah
7pot primo
7pot infinity
7pot brain strain
7pot yellow
7 barrackpore
7 pot orange
and some crazy crosses from those of you who have been kind enough to share
and also I have heard of 7pot burgundy, now 7pot red douglah, yellow brainstrain and 7pot evergreen are there still more that i havent heard of if so what are they?
just wondering after growing several varieties last year I decided to get my hands on as many different varieties as possible as I loved their heat and their wonderful flavor

Probably only really a few true,stable 7 pot strains or varieties out there.

Most of the stuff going around is unstable and grown from non isolated seeds or seeds that have not been grown out long enough to see if it really is stable.
One grow out means nothing.
I have a 7 pot that took 4 generations in isolation to show it's not stable.

People love naming anything that looks different than it was supposed to be and calling it a new strain or variety.
At $.50+ a seed +s.h. for some of this stuff , it's very profitable.

I hear you, that is what I was trying to get @ how many true 7pot varieties are there, and then how many are just marketing or just growers who got slightly different pods and renamed them, I got all the seeds from ppl on here by trade or SASBE, so I certainly am not worried about that I was swindled or anything just wondering

It depends on what you define as a 7 pot. There are a lot of hybrids out there and I'm not sure that you can even call a hybrid a 7 pot still. There are a lot out there that have the 7 pot name but aren't very close to 7 pot traits at all. Peppers are just so hard to classify with a name sometimes!

I can't answer your question but do know that I started growing the Jonah variety in 2007 season and have ever since. It produces lots of highly pungently hot peppers that have a very unique sweetness that makes it one of my favorites. I will definitely be making some smoked 7 pot powder this season.

Like POTAWIE said it's getting freaking ridiculous. I'm also willing to bet the majority of the new ones were motivated by money. Somebody gets a pod with a slightly different color, by accident I'll bet, and boom! The 7 Pot purple is born!

I would really like to hear the story of the 7 Pot Burgundy and how it came about. Anybody know the FACTS?

Like POTAWIE said it's getting freaking ridiculous. I'm also willing to bet the majority of the new ones were motivated by money. Somebody gets a pod with a slightly different color, by accident I'll bet, and boom! The 7 Pot purple is born!

I would really like to hear the story of the 7 Pot Burgundy and how it came about. Anybody know the FACTS?

The same thing happened to habaneros as POTAWIE pointed out. It will probably get as bad as that :( . I have to agree that it appears to be market driven. Any idea what we can do about the messed up naming?

Partly market driven but often started by anxious grower's wanting to throw a name on anything different. I know one year I had an extra large Bangladesh naga and I called it bigbang naga to ID it, but it led to many problems and arguments.and now there are chocolate bigbang nagas and other bigbang naga crosses going around :(

I do wonder why people are in such a rush to name a pepper. Royalties do not exist in the pepper kingdom do they? Not too long ago someone had received seeds and on the packet was written "fathead". So the guy starts talking about the new 7 Pot fathead he's going to grow. Come to find out fathead was something written on the packet so the original sender knew who to send the pack of seeds to. Anything can lead to chaos.

i have my 7 pot colon, it's a little brown............anyone want some seeds? APRIL FOOLS!

guess it's not funny if you live in australia, as it is already tomorrow..... my tomorrow, not theirs because it is their today......................... did that make sense?

It's a real dilemma when it comes to adding them to the database :think: If we list them all it gives people more incentive to make up more names, if we don't, people tell us the database is wrong. It would be great to see where the names first come from - there are probably a few more that are just Chinese whispers like Patrick's example above. But if I had to bet, I'd say a lot of them come from people growing a 7 pod, getting a slightly unusual looking plant/pod and calling it something different, whether that is innocently like Derek, or with the aim of five minutes of fame.

LOL!!!! They watered it with a Burgundy Wine and water mix!!

as far as the 7pot burgundy, I saw it on one of the european members' growlist I believe, although it seems to me some of the douglah pods ive seen were burgundy,JMO, and this red douglah, that def seems that reddish brown would be something burgundyish yeah?
pepperlover was also selling seven pod burgundy perhaps she knows something

if you cross a red and chocolate color pepper then it would be a burgundish color

James weaver had a chocolate sb x red habanero and it became a capucino habanero that is a burgundyish color

i do have to admit the names are getting to be anoying but oh well soon we will see some realy crazy names on the 7 pot peppers even though they might just be slightly different then the original. if its a cross give it a new name if it is bred for many years for specific traits then give it a new name but if its the same pepper with an off shaped pod and just the first time you grew it then dont give it a new name. watch someone give a 7 pot named marijuana or something then that causes a whole bunch of confusion with the law and people get sent to jail for selling "marijuana" when its actually a pepper. when will the confusion stop? probably never

me i call all my ts and 7p by there second names when i can except for tsmb which i label tsmb and stuff named after a color then i list yellow7 white7 and ts yellow instead of confusing my self with similer names like 7 pot chaguanas and 7 pot chocolate i would list chaguanas and chocolate 7

The 7 Pot "Jonah" (btw it was Jonah who finally corrected the incorrect "7 Pod" name) was a strain that originated in Trinidad & was grown by Trindadian
Jonah before he came to live in Florida, US. He actually lost the first seeds he had & went back several years later and brought the seeds back with him again, from which I was able to acquire a few from Allen Boatman and grew them out, it was at Allen's suggestion that "Jonah" was added to the name. I then sent out seeds along with the scorpion to whoever requested them. As a interesting side note, Jonah lost his seed stock again the next year and I was able to send him seed to restart with! The only other color 7 Pot Jonah brought back was a "Pink" 7 Pot ( Got your interest now eh?) but it was a seasoning pepper with none of the heat that we love!

Back