• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

pepper infused vinegar

is there a market for pepper infuzed vinegars? A couple of local stores seem to stock alot of the stuff. I bought a bottle of Chocolate Habanero Vinegar....pretty week if ya ask me! Just wondering if the market is there or not?

i'm sure there is one out there. haven't seen any before..if i did see some, i'd be sure to try it. i'm sure many other people here would try some as well..or at least wait to hear about it from someone that has.

When I bring peppers into work to give away, a lot of people want some just to make hot vinegar. My sister also makes a bunch to give as Christmas gifts and people are so excited to get it.

I would assume there is. My sister is a caterer and she hates super hot peppers but she makes infused vinegars and vodkas like crazy. All her customers want some. And she does infused olive oils as well....but she always says to be careful with doing that one or you could wind up with a nasty case of botulism.

Sickmont said:
I would assume there is. My sister is a caterer and she hates super hot peppers but she makes infused vinegars and vodkas like crazy. All her customers want some. And she does infused olive oils as well....but she always says to be careful with doing that one or you could wind up with a nasty case of botulism.
If you use fresh peppers when you make your infused oils, then that's pretty risky. I suppose you could wind up with a nasty case of botulism.
With the fresh peppers you are also adding moisture n oxygen, a good building block for bacteria.
I make infused oil on a pretty regular basis. (canola or olive oil)
I use dehydrated peppers ONLY. Never had a problem with botulism.

Sauceman said:
If you use fresh peppers when you make your infused oils, then that's pretty risky. I suppose you could wind up with a nasty case of botulism.
With the fresh peppers you are also adding moisture n oxygen, a good building block for bacteria.
I make infused oil on a pretty regular basis. (canola or olive oil)
I use dehydrated peppers ONLY. Never had a problem with botulism.

That's what she does. She said you can use fresh peppers only if you're going to consume it fairly quickly(within a few hours or so), but then you don't get a whole lot of time for the "infusion" to occur. She still prefers to use dehydrated peppers, though.

I'd should make some hot vinegar sometime, that sounds good.

As for it not being hot Dyce, capsacanoids aren't very soluble in aqueous solution, so I wouldn't expect it to be too hot regardless of the peppers used.

eremite said:
What is infusing?

In this case, it means that the heat and flavor of the pepper would, by the process of osmosis, permeate the oil. You're steeping the pepper in the oil.

I use fresh peppers when I make hot pepper oils, but I heat process my oils.

OK, one more time:
(maybe I'll just post this every 4 months:lol:)

1) can (water bath) whole or halved chiles in the 5% acidity vinegar-of-your-choice;

2) let them sit for 6-12 (24-36) months to mellow the bite of the vinegar and to get more capsaicin into the liquid;

3) drain chiles and save vinegar;

4) puree chiles for sauce, adding back just enough vinegar to keep the sauce from getting too thick and to maintain acidity;

5) bottle remaining vinegar for use in marinades, dressings, etc. You shouldn't have to refrigerate it, it's vinegar!

NOTE 1 : If you don't like vinegary hot sauce, then just put a few pods in your mason jars to flavor the vinegar and then can as normal. There you go , safe chile-infused vinegar. (I do the same thing for garlic)

NOTE 2 : GET A PH METER!!! Cooking may reduce acidity in vinegar, so be sure.

brookthecookwhohasntpoisonedanyoneyetdespitethefactheusessimplehomecanningmethodsthatanyonecanfindontheusdawebsiteanytime......

Wow....nice run-on:shocked:

LOL! You think that's :shocked:, you should see the look on people's faces when they try my Trinidad Scorpion Powder for the first time!

Funny story, I took some savina & francesca hab, purira, and cheiro recife vinegar samples to a gathering of assorted hotheads, chile growers, and saucemakers two years ago and it seemed no one had heard of such a thing, "chile-infused vinegar? wha?", how did I come up with that, what a unique product, etc., to which I replied "uh, it's leftover vinegar from pickled peppers, had to something with it, etc.", and now it seems that people are actually selling it online & in stores, under overpasses (over underpasses), and while I'm sure I didn't invent it first (!), why is it that the food industry has ignored chile infused vinegar as at least an additive if not a retail product up til now?
Maybe it has and I'm just not aware of it.
(now there's a run-on!:lol:)
b

Last night I introduced 2 dehydrated habs into a bottle of vinigar..Looking tonight it has this beautiful red colour to it..My question is how long do you let it sit?

Canuk Pepperhead said:
Last night I introduced 2 dehydrated habs into a bottle of vinigar..Looking tonight it has this beautiful red colour to it..My question is how long do you let it sit?
I wouldn't think it would take long using habs and all. I'm basically doing the same thing with green tabascos.(check another thread.) I'll keep em in the fridge a couple weeks before dosing the greens with the juice.

My appologys after a good night of having friends over and having alot of holiday cheer I took too much offence to a single post than I should have
You can make bottles to look pretty but to people around here im thinking we make them to eat them..Thats the whole point of having our gardens and growing all summer and tending to our gardens etc...as for it being a womans decoration...if made to be...thats kinda of an unfair way of saying things...

Some folks do buy pretty spiced vinegar. Nice bottle, maybe a few sprigs of Rosemary tie some twine around the neck(of the bottle) and you have a nice decorative gift. But I'm with you. Infused pepper vinegar is a practical way of using those peppers in the garden at the end of the year. I also add a little tumeric. Tasty!

Back