• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help growing Bhuts and the Trinidad Scorpion

Hey guys,
I have tried many times (with little success) to grow the Bhut Jolokia/ Naga Pepper/ Ghost Chilli. I've tried putting them into a seed raising mixture (50-50 seed raising to soil), sphagnum moss (my Firecracker Piquins grew in this), soaking them in water until germination but that never occurred with the Bhuts (worked for the Firecracker Piquins), and just straight soil. I watered them regularly and they've been in a place where there's always sunlight (under an extended gutter on the roof). Unfortunately none of those "techniques" worked, and I was just wondering if any of you had grown a Bhut before, and if so, how did you do it, because at the moment I am quite confused.
Also, I am thinking about trying to grow the Trinidad Scorpion, but have no idea on how to approach growing one, so if you could please 'enlighten' me on how to do that, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

First of all, welcome to THP, and yes if it you're first time germinating from seed's this kind of thing happen, one most important key is patient, it took me 2-4 week's to germinate bhut, and is your seed fresh? if not it will took longer. You can digg alot of knowledge in http://thehotpepper.com/forum/100-growing-hot-peppers/, got alot of knowledge in there.

:welcome: and these work every time
IMG_0121.jpg

I've always used Jiffy domes with heat mats and haven't had any problems with those. However Bhuts do seem to take longer and grow slower so keep that in mind regardless of what you go with.

I stuck 6 two year old seeds in some MG cactus/succulent soil(All that I had laying around) and set them under a flourescent tabletop cheapo plant light. They all germinated within 21 days (5/6 after 15 days). I just kept the soil moist. Room temps varied from 65 - 80.

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. I'd just like to clarify that I live in Queensland where the temperature constantly stays between 20 and 38 Celsius all year round. Do you guys think that I should still get a heat mat? Also, I'm not too sure as to how old the seeds are, I bought them off chilliseedbank.com.au. I'll post a picture of my "excellent" set-up soon.

Okay guys, here is what my set-up looks like:
DSCN0713.jpg

DSCN0712.jpg

The Firecracker Piquins in the cans have both grown, and the Firecracker Piquin on the far right is starting to grow, however none of the Bhuts have started to grow (to the naked eye). Any tips as to what I'm doing wrong?

Well i got my Bhut`s through the same outlet 'chilliseedbank' they took forever to sprout, and the seeds ive saved from the ones that did grow have not sprouted hardly at all? not sure if this is just Bhuts in general or whether the seeds are not much cop in the first place? Bhut the ones that have sprouted & grown have turned out fantastic i will admit that.

Im only just over the border from you & im trying Bhuts on Jiffy`s from my own seeds for the first time, no sign of life yet & its been weeks.

Welcome to the club, some seeds just seem to take ages & Bhuts are one of the slowest i think. All of this years seeds including scorps have sprouted real easy but i did buy them from Judy this time (pepperlover.com)

Mezo.

Okay guys, here is what my set-up looks like:
DSCN0713.jpg

DSCN0712.jpg

The Firecracker Piquins in the cans have both grown, and the Firecracker Piquin on the far right is starting to grow, however none of the Bhuts have started to grow (to the naked eye). Any tips as to what I'm doing wrong?
Classic!!

I'm no expert. But I have 7 Butch T seedlings now, sowed them in a small pot, watered regularly and used Rocket Fuel fertiliser. The temperature has been in the high thirties and they get a lot of direct sunlight. Once they get bigger I will transfer to bigger pots. I think my method is more luck than judgement. Explains why I am now a member of this site!!

I think i see the problem with the Bhut Jolokia, rather than Coles 'smart buy' tins try Black & Gold next time. :lol:

Bhut seriously try starting the seed in a plastic bag in a warm spot with a damp paper towel inside, once you see some action plant it about 10mm down in seed raising mix.

Mezo.

Hydrofarm seedling heat mat, hydrofarm heating thermostat, set at 85, so it will consistantly range from 83-87 degrees. I've tried the tupperware method and the jiffy pellet method, and it like the paper towel more by far. I get to see progress.

As for when they sprout, fluorescents 2-3 inches above the sprouts, make sure the bulb is 6500k _Daylight Color_, for a week or two 24/7 light. Then move up and also have a wind output going during the second week. Good luck.

I live is Chicago so temperatures don't cooperate with me too much so.

I think i see the problem with the Bhut Jolokia, rather than Coles 'smart buy' tins try Black & Gold next time. :lol:

Bhut seriously try starting the seed in a plastic bag in a warm spot with a damp paper towel inside, once you see some action plant it about 10mm down in seed raising mix.

Mezo.
Yes, I would say that's the most reliable technique, for germination of the Bhut. they do grow, horrendously slow, from day one till finished. To be honest, once I germinated them: (Plastic bag with damp paper towel, over a heat register, or whatnot. in germinating from seeds, you really don't need sunlight, they are just seeds remember. all you need is a consistent heat. probably around 80 degrees F.) soooooo, once they are germinated, or sprouted, I transferred them into a very drainage-friendly container. Like a plastic cup, with holes throughout the bottom and sides. put some cocoa coir and dampened that up. (Cocoa coir is basically coconut shell shavings. I found mind at a local pet store it was Petco I believe. they also make good bedding for reptiles/other desert animals.) Anyhow, get them growing 'till they get a few sets of true leaves (the set of leaves after the first set. so about three or four levels high) then transplant into a bigger container, and MUST APPLY LIGHT & HEAT. Bhuts want an 85 degree soil temperature. By the way, don't use any sort of fertilizer or miracle grow solution until they are transferred and are about 8 to 12 inches high. These plants are very sensitive until more full grown. When you get them out in the sun you could go ahead and use that. after about 130 to 150 days, you should have a good supply of super hot pods!! Oh, and sometimes it helps to hand-pollinate them. Take a cotton swab, and take the pollen and gently allow it to be pushed in to the center of the blossom. It takes a lot of care, but enjoy!!! Oh... one last thing...... when watering a more mature plant, feel free to "discipline" you plants. the less water you add, the hotter the babies get! Never the less, make a CONSISTENT watering plan for them too. thanks guys, good luck growing! Now I have to get my seed stock going this year.....
~JJKANES

Hey Hazza, I am growing both varieties you are after. I started my seeds in a burpee seed starter xl with both a hydrofarm heat mat under it on a wire bread rack, and a 12' heat coil around the inside of my grow hut. My soil temp was an average of 77, then I got a hydrofarm thermostat and kept it at an average of 81. My seeds germinated in 7 days for the bhuts, and 9 days for the butch T's. Now I have all plants at around 4 inches tall and my soil and air temps stay at around 80 f. I also purchased 4 grow lights and kept them on 24/7 until I had 3 sets of leaves, then went to 18/6 per day.

Back