• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How to Make Hot Peppers Hotter

Water only when needed.
One of the most common reasons for peppers being far less hot than expected is over watering. Hot peppers are often originally from hot and dry climates and they will produce their best peppers when these conditions are simulated in the home garden.
Water hot peppers only when the leaves start to show the first signs of wilting. Watering more frequently will lead to a more mild pepper than expected!

Excess Nitrogen
Many commercial fertilizers contain high levels of nitrogen that is readily available to the plant. This nitrogen causes the plant to grow rapidly and put much of its energy into growing the plant and not the peppers. The end result will be a larger plant with an often-lower yield of less hot peppers.
The best way to fertilize pepper plants is to use natural fertilizers such as compost. These fertilizers are very balanced and not very high in nitrogen. The nutrients in natural fertilizers are slow release and do not over whelm the plant.

Add Sulfur
Commonly commercially available fertilizers and even many natural fertilizers lack sulfur. Sulfur is used in plants to create compounds, such as protein chlorophyll and various enzymes. Sulfur is used at about the same rate as nitrogen by plants, but is still considered a secondary nutrient because it is often available in most soils.
Adding extra sulfur to the soil and the foliage of Hot Pepper plants will help the plant build compounds that lead to a hotter pepper. Dissolved Epson salts sprayed on the soil and foliage of a hot pepper plant twice a season should be plenty of addition sulfur.

Proximity to Mild Peppers
Most pepper plants will freely cross-pollinate with each other. The results of a mild pepper (such as a bell pepper) crossing with a hot pepper often could be a more mild hot pepper. The resulting seeds from these hybrid peppers will be quite variable from hot to mild peppers as well.
Keeping mild and hot peppers, and even different heat levels of hot peppers away from each other helps eliminate the cross-pollination of peppers.

Conclusion
While all of the above techniques will help to produce hotter hot peppers, environmental factors also affect hot peppers. Hot temperatures are needed by many hot peppers but control of the weather is not possible, yet at least, so by controlling the amount of water a plant gets, not allowing excess amounts of nitrogen, adding sulfur and keeping mild peppers a good distance away hot peppers will be encouraged to produces the hottest peppers that they can.

Can you explain why Epsom salts add sulfur. I don't see how it adds sulfur, so I'm probably missing something.

Can you explain why Epsom salts add sulfur. I don't see how it adds sulfur, so I'm probably missing something.
The chemical formula for Epsom salt is MgSO4 so yes, it does contain sulfur.
Commonly it's known as "Epsom Salt", but its scientific name is "magnesium sulfate heptahydrate." It's made up of about ten percent magnesium and thirteen percent sulfur. This mineral, which resembles clear crystals, was originally discovered in Epsom, England- hence its common name- centuries ago. Since that time, Epsom Salt has been used on humans, animals, and even on plants.

Generally heat, water, or fertilizer stress will make peppers hotter, but its not that simple. Stressing the plant can also do the opposite at times forcing the plant to produce quick heatless pods in attempt to quickly re-produce, and stress will usually lead to less production overall
Someone posted info a while back about peppers growing hotter in desest conditions when closer to water which leads me to believe that only so much stress is beneficial for adding heat. There is obviously a fine line

You may find yourself with an unhealthy fruitless plant if you stress your plant too much. Focus on growing healthy plants your butch tb will be hot enough....

The way it reads, at least to me, sounds like pods on a plant this year that cross pollenate with a mild plant will be mild. This is not true. It will only be visible in he resulting seeds, which you state, but it also sounds like it shows up this year. Just making sure.

I think it also depends on the seed origin. The hotter the location the hotter the pods should be. It would also depend on where the plant is currently producing pods. Pods will also have more heat if the plant i producing pods in the heat of summer rather than any other time.The over all health of the plant should also play a role in the heat factor

Has anyone compared 1st pick of the morning peppers compared to mid afternoon when plant dehydration sets in?
There certainly is a difference in "taste" when harvesting corn, tomatoes, strawberries etc... in the early morning........but obviously were talking about a "Horse of a Different Color" when it comes to "HEAT"...

Greg

I've seen an article where they found increased levels of capsaicin in wild peppers at higher elevations and more humid locations compared to the same wild variety growing in drier coastal areas, and they concluded that capsaicin may have evolved partly as an anti-fungal agent.

http://news.ufl.edu/...8/11/peppers-2/

http://www.pnas.org/...5/33/11808.full

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Whats-So-Hot-About-Chili-Peppers.html?c=y&page=2

I think peppers come from the Bolivian rainforest, but I am not sure really. If you could point to anything indicating they orginated from hot and dry climates it would be interesting to read.

I would rather conclude that lower temperatures and high humidity would lead to an increase in capsaicin production. Perhaps high humidity but at the same time less soil moisture would be good. I assume it would be similar to other plants that become more pungent under slow-growth conditions.

Although I see that the op is probably only a plug for a garden blog website.

Back