• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe jerk seasoning recipe

Normally it would be a wet rub (paste) not dry. Scallions, Scotch Bonnets, thyme, allspice, some other stuff.

Scotchies restaurants in Ocho Rios, Montego Bay and Kingston specialize in Jerk Chicken and Pork, and roasted fish. I got a recipe from the newspaper that said it came from them, and it went as follows...

a bunch of green onions cut into 2 inch pieces
4 cloves of garlic
a 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into half inch discs
a heaping teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
a teaspoon of ground allspice
a cinnamon stick broken up
a teaspoon of ground nutmeg
2 teasponns coarsly ground black pepper
1 - 3 Scotch Bonnet or Habanero chilies
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
a quarter cup soy sauce
juice of 4 limes (6 tbsp)
a half cup of vegetable oil

Process all the ingredients in a blender or food processor except the oil. When the other ingredients are pureed, leave the machine running and add the oil in a thin stream until the mixture becomes thick (emulsified like mayonnaise). Add the meat to the marinade and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight. This recipe makes enough marinade for 3 pounds of meat or 4 chicken leg quarters.

No clove, rum, cumin?
Here's from a recipe site-

Jamaican Jerk Rum Rub:Food Network
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4 teaspoons white pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onion tops
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 5 small jalapenos
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil (olive or vegetable)
  • Splash flavorful rum
Jerk Chicken Recipe

Another from Simply Recipes
INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 cup malt vinegar (or white vinegar)
  • 2 Tbsp dark rum
  • 2 Scotch bonnet peppers (or habaneros), with seeds, chopped
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 4 green onion tops, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp dried thyme or 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • 4 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons molasses
  • 1 (5 or 6 pound) roasting chicken, cut in half, lengthwise
  • 1/2 cup lime juice
  • Salt and pepper
Safety note. Scotch B

Scotchies restaurants in Ocho Rios, Montego Bay and Kingston specialize in Jerk Chicken and Pork, and roasted fish. I got a recipe from the newspaper that said it came from them, and it went as follows...

a bunch of green onions cut into 2 inch pieces
4 cloves of garlic
a 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into half inch discs
a heaping teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
a teaspoon of ground allspice
a cinnamon stick broken up
a teaspoon of ground nutmeg
2 teasponns coarsly ground black pepper
1 - 3 Scotch Bonnet or Habanero chilies
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
a quarter cup soy sauce
juice of 4 limes (6 tbsp)
a half cup of vegetable oil

Process all the ingredients in a blender or food processor except the oil. When the other ingredients are pureed, leave the machine running and add the oil in a thin stream until the mixture becomes thick (emulsified like mayonnaise). Add the meat to the marinade and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight. This recipe makes enough marinade for 3 pounds of meat or 4 chicken leg quarters.
your recipe is probably correct- the overseas interpretations are more complex and rum has been added.

No clove, rum, cumin?
your recipe is probably correct- the overseas interpretations are more complex and rum has been added.

There is no "correct" if there was only one jerk recipe, well, then there would only be one. Jerk is a method of grilling over pimento wood using various spices in a paste, but usually always with allspice (pimento) and Scotch Bonnets for heat.

i use green onion, soy, lime juice, coriander seed, cumin seed, veg oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, garlic, thyme, cane sugar,ginger, 6 habaneros or scotch bonnets or 7 pots and blend together and leave over night on my chicken thighs. i like to use natural charcoal with no lighter fluid. Gas grills and lighter fluids are for people who are lazy at grilling.

made a bunch of jerk chicken yesterday - smoked over plumtree wood :D

the jerk recipe i used;
1 onion
6 plums, de-seeded
1/2 pineapple
3 lemons juiced
1 orange juiced
1 tomato (optional, but thickens the suace!)
1 table spoon of allspice
1 table spoon of cinnamon
1 table spoon of cloves
2 table spoons of thyme
1 teaspoon salt
half cup brown sugar
half cup raisins
a lot of smoked mixed chiles
a handfull of dried pi 220088 pods
a handfull of dried bubba pods
one small TSMB

all ingredients run thru blender untill smooth and creamy. set aside some sauce for dipping and using fresh for later, and use the marinade to baste the chicken every time you turn it over in the grill.

really one of the most tasties jerks ive made. the slow smoking over wood gives a slow cooking and lots of smoke flavour. from the jerk mix i got out enough to do two jerkchicken sessions..

this recipe is not intended to be a authentic jamaican recipe, but rather my twist on it :)

Sounds like you used dried thyme. You won't get the real jerk flavor with dried. Also need some scallions in there. And when you use allspice you really don't need cloves and cinnamon, it's called allspice because it tastes like these already. :) But not bad.

hehe i expected objections so i wrote in the post above allready :) it was not intended to be authentic.. rather my twist on it.

some jerk sauce manufactures like levi roots (wich was the first authentic jerksauce i tried) have had ingredients like raisins, dates, tamarind, dried thyme, orange and lemon juice, cinnamon and a lot more. i started with my jerk recipe trying to make the leviroots jerksauce from scratch. also the jamaicans in my family helped out with tips :) good thing to have jamaicans in the family :D

anyway here is Levi Roots Reggae Reggae jerk sauce recipe - as you can see they use dried herbs.
  • 4 Scotch bonnet chillies, deseeded and chopped
  • 1 spring onion, green end only, chopped
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 2 tbsp ground allspice (pimento)
  • 2.5cm/1 inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 3 tbsp mixed dried herbs
  • 1 tbsp dried basil
  • 3 tbsp all-purpose seasoning
  • 1 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp fresh ground cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp coarse ground black pepper
  • 500ml/18 fl oz bottle tomato ketchup
(http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/popular-ingredients/chicken/jerk-chicken-recipe)

it took my 11 years to find allspice in spain - so i got used to throw in a lot of different spices. cinnamon and cloves are some favorite ingredients. also it can be found in comercial jerksauces like the one above.

also unfortunatelly there is no scallions to get anywhere in spain. onion will have to do :D

anyway here is Levi Roots Reggae Reggae jerk sauce recipe - as you can see they use dried herbs
  • 500ml/18 fl oz bottle tomato ketchup
it took my 11 years to find allspice in spain - so i got used to throw in a lot of different spices. cinnamon and cloves are some favorite ingredients. also it can be found in comercial jerksauces like the one above.

Sorry dude I don't trust a jerk recipe with 18 ounces of ketchup! Sorry. So that does not help your defense :P

also unfortunatelly there is no scallions to get anywhere in spain. onion will have to do :D

Scallions (green onions, spring onions), or ramps... none?

Hmm okay. Baby leeks? If so go for the neck area (bright green), closest to a scallion.

hehe

yeah i dont use ketchup either... thats why i threw in a tomato in my recipe instead, but it was the first time i used tomato in the jerk.

London has the biggest concentration of jamaicans in the world, outside jamaica. Levi Roots has had a jerk stand in the brixton caribean festival in london for decades. his jerk chicken became so popular he opened a chili sauce factory. their jerk sauce is really tasty, atleast the bottled one. also he has done work for BBC. more info on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi_Roots also his jerk sauce is the only one available in spain :) so i have not tried many! hehe

green onions - i used that many times, but usually during winter when its season for it . i grow onions, garlic, leek and gigantic garlic and a lot more of vegetables and kitchen herbs.

What do you mean? You don't use fresh ingredients in your sauces?

I think Jerk lovers find / experiment with recipes until their happy. Like most recipes. I always want to say if you like then it's fine .... for You.

Somethings I've read always blow my mind on people put into their Jerk paste. Jerk .... real Jerk has to be tasted/ tested from a Good Jerk joint or person who knows how to make a good paste and cook the meat proper . There's simply no other way to get it.

Food Nation or Bobby Flay might not be the greatest places to find a good jerk recipe. When see you B.F. in a lot of his Throw Downs ... remember he's trying to one up someone who "owns" ( makes it super & be hard to beat ) a recipe because they're cooked it forever. He adds things they don't. And wouldn't !! But he sees it thru his eyes and taste buds.

In Jamaica people use what they grow on the island first and foremost. If you've seen a hamburger there .... there's NO head lettuce .... instead you get thin cucumber slices. Know why ? Head lettuce doesn't grow well there ...

I don't use ginger in my paste . But can see why people do and I'm sure it's good. But things like Cloves ..... which is a very strong spice . I only use a 1/4 teaspoon or VERY little more in a huge pot of Black Beans and you know it's there for sure ! Cloves not a spice used in Jerk ..... at least not what I've ever eaten there... and I ate my weight there many times. Cumin is another spice not used in Jamaican cooking that I've tasted....

Ketchup ??? I'm with THP ! ##$#@!!???? you lost your mind ?? Jerk should NOT taste of tomatoes.....

I always use fresh green onions . No other type of onion gives the flavor I want. It's the green part that adds the needed flavor. Just blends so well with thyme. I only use Lime juice. I never saw a Lemon ( tho some yardies call may call a lime a lemon ) in the markets . But I admit I never looked for one. And I've only drank Lime-Aid there. Or STRIPES ... lol

I don't worry about my Jerk paste going bad using fresh items in it. I was told by Dunstain Harris that the lime juice , soy sauce , and Scotch Bonnets keep it from going bad. May be wrong ... but I've used 2 month old Jerk paste ..... I'm here writing this ....and still have a wife and friends. So mine didn't become deadly ....

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I'm not personally sure of the preserving effect of capsaicin, but the combination of acid and salt is a classic preserving method. That's why table sauces always have salt and vinegar or citrus juice concentrate as main ingredients. I'm sure there's lots written down here about making sauces that keep well. For the rest, always use fresh, good quality ingredients. Spotty fruits and vegetables give "off" flavors and cause things made with them to go bad much quicker.

What do you mean? You don't use fresh ingredients in your sauces?

No...I use all powdered spices, mix with water, and call it good...

NOT!

Naw...I found a recipe using the stuff you said...but it wants you to blend the green onions straight into the mix. My experience putting onion in a blender is dismal...and when fresh onion is blended into a sauce...the sauce is funkified by the next day. May be different with grons...I dunno...which is why I asked, big-daddy. ;)

Here's the one I found:

Ingredients:
Preparation:

Place
allspice, brown sugar, garlic, Scotch bonnet peppers, thyme, scallions, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and soy sauce in a food processor and blend until smooth.

You may use whole allspice berries, if available, but use enough to give the equivalent of 1/2 cup ground. (Allspice berries and scotch bonnets are key ingredients.) Keep this sauce refrigerated and it will virtually keep forever. Feel free to increase the hot peppers and garlic.

So my thought was to brown the garlic, grons, and bonnets before tossing in the blender...

LOL.

Maybe you are using too much of the green part of the scallion. I can see that turning to mush like lettuce in a sauce. What you want is the neck, the oniony part, finely minced.

Back