• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Big Jims with nearly no heat!!

My brother has a hobby farm here in Dominican Republic. I miss Mexican food, but know how to cook it. So he got New Mexico Big Jim chile pepper seeds. They are growing like crazy with massive amounts of peppers already. However, very, very mild!! Too mild. We ordered the medium heat seeds and I know what heat should be....these are tasty but cannot use for a Chile Verde as it would just be boring.

What can we do? What's the problem? Did we pick too early. Some are 10 inches long already!
Thanks.

Big Jim peppers vary from mild to medium to sometimes fairly hot. Usually the first crop of the New Mexico type peppers are milder. Environmental conditions can also affect the level of heat. This has always been common for Big Jims. Supposedly the Heritage Big Jims have a more consistent medium heat, but I have not tried any yet. Heat or no heat, the Big Jim is one of the tastiest and meatiest chile you can ever find.

I'm sure they are still tasty. There's lots of ways to make your chile verde spicy (hot sauce, pepper powder, add additional hot peppers like jalapenos or habs) even if the big jim's dont have heat on their own...

My brother has a hobby farm here in Dominican Republic. I miss Mexican food, but know how to cook it. So he got New Mexico Big Jim chile pepper seeds. They are growing like crazy with massive amounts of peppers already. However, very, very mild!! Too mild. We ordered the medium heat seeds and I know what heat should be....these are tasty but cannot use for a Chile Verde as it would just be boring.

What can we do? What's the problem? Did we pick too early. Some are 10 inches long already!
Thanks.

I forgot to answer your question on what to do. Get Sandia, Lumbre, or Barker's Hot seeds. These are chiles from New Mexico that can be hot to very hot. They are smaller and more thin walled than the Big Jim. These are the more commonly used chiles for Chile Verde in NM. if you want heat.

Big Jim peppers vary from mild to medium to sometimes fairly hot. Usually the first crop of the New Mexico type peppers are milder. Environmental conditions can also affect the level of heat. This has always been common for Big Jims. Supposedly the Heritage Big Jims have a more consistent medium heat, but I have not tried any yet. Heat or no heat, the Big Jim is one of the tastiest and meatiest chile you can ever find.
I have heard theta growing conditions affect heat; just don't know what does what.

This is the first crop off these plants. But since they are a perennial, they should last for years. So do you mean these plants will probably produce peppers with more heat as time goes on?

Would they have more heat if we pick them later?

but if they start to turn red, then I think they totally change to a sweet taste, right?

If there were any jalapeños to use in this country, I could add for heat to the Chile Verde! However, Dominicans hate heat so no such luck. The only fresh peppers I can find are some imported Scotch Bonnets occasionally and they are too hot!!

I grew up in western CO and the Big Jims we got in the fall at the roadside stands roasted were perfect. I have never had such mild ones as these. They are almost like a Bell Pepper in heat....none! But the climate here is very different.

I guess I need to order some different peppers like you suggested. Too bad, there are going to be many, many bushels of these. They grew fast and well! Only planted them about 60 days ago by putting seeds directly into the ground.

I have heard theta growing conditions affect heat; just don't know what does what.

This is the first crop off these plants. But since they are a perennial, they should last for years. So do you mean these plants will probably produce peppers with more heat as time goes on?

Would they have more heat if we pick them later?

but if they start to turn red, then I think they totally change to a sweet taste, right?

Riper chilies will be hotter. Also, how much are they watered? Sometimes, if overwatered, chilies won't produce as much capsaicin. Try watering less and the second wave of peppers should have a bit more heat.

I have found that the best taste and heat occur at the time when the pods are turning from green to red. If I get my chiles in Hatch during that exact time it is like hitting the jackpot. We call those "pintos" and are a New Mexico chile eater's dream come true. Completely red chiles are sweeter (and that is a good thing) and a little harder to peel. They make the best enchilada sauce straight from the pod. I made rellenos a few nights ago from some of last year's "pintos" and got to experience a little bit of heaven here in Seattle.

Riper chilies will be hotter. Also, how much are they watered? Sometimes, if overwatered, chilies won't produce as much capsaicin. Try watering less and the second wave of peppers should have a bit more heat.
Thanks, will see what they taste like more mature. But we don't water plants here; it rains a lot. That may be a problem. Maybe a "hotter" chili variety will actually turn out to be a "medium" variety in the DR. Unless we have a dry spell, but those a pretty rare. Especially compared to SW USA; never happen.

sorry, just wanted to chime in here. I've heard (and confirmed by taste testing) that peppers that are in the process of ripening is the hottest. Ripening introduces sugar and depletes some capsaicin and therefore not as hot.

Most Numex chiles vary quite a bit in heat. Recently there have been new breeds created which are more consistant in heat which is what sauce/salsa makers are demanding for their products. Try pods grown on a hotter day, or maybe deprive them of water to increase heat
Chiles are said to be at their hottest just before fully ripening

The Big Jim's that I grew way back had some bite to them. They were labeled as Nu Mex Big Jim.........today's variance is the new and improved Big Jim II. The chili's are huge and I have no complaints since this version grows better in the northern climates, but is is on the mild side.
If your looking for more of a punch try the Sandia's (as mentioned) or the College 64's...

Greg

PIC 1:

? On your post. Your comment about "new and improved Big Jim II, is this new or are you referring to the Big Jim Heritage? The Big Jim's grown last year were definitely hotter than the Anaheim TMR, Joe. E., and Big Chile. I prefer my numex on the milder side, like the size, not the bite. Plus, reacessing all that I grow relative to the GMO issue (reference Monsanto thread).

PIC 1:

? On your post. Your comment about "new and improved Big Jim II, is this new or are you referring to the Big Jim Heritage? The Big Jim's grown last year were definitely hotter than the Anaheim TMR, Joe. E., and Big Chile. I prefer my numex on the milder side, like the size, not the bite. Plus, reacessing all that I grow relative to the GMO issue (reference Monsanto thread).
To be more specific I was referring to the "Big Chili II" It's a milder 8 to 12" F1 Hybrid.The Heritage 64 is a smaller flattened "Anaheim" type chili

Greg

Here is a link to the folks in Hatch, NM who have been working with NMSU from the beginning http://chileseedusa.com/index.html Working with Dr. Roy Nakayama, Jim Lytle Sr. grew the original Big Jim chiles at his farm. The family has maintained a Certified Seed business since 1945. For those interested in the ridiculously long Big Jims from the 2011 crop, a photo of one is on the site and it looks like they sell seeds from that batch. They developed the Lumbre (very hot) and are getting it certified. You can also get the Sandia (hot) chiles here. I noticed they sold some Bhut Jolokia seeds and still have the claim that it is the World's Hottest. They are good hard working farmers who don't keep up on the worlds hottest superhot b.s. every day like we do, so plz don't flame them for that if you visit their site. :P

Here is a link to the folks in Hatch, NM who have been working with NMSU from the beginning http://chileseedusa.com/index.html Working with Dr. Roy Nakayama, Jim Lytle Sr. grew the original Big Jim chiles at his farm. The family has maintained a Certified Seed business since 1945. For those interested in the ridiculously long Big Jims from the 2011 crop, a photo of one is on the site and it looks like they sell seeds from that batch. They developed the Lumbre (very hot) and are getting it certified. You can also get the Sandia (hot) chiles here. I noticed they sold some Bhut Jolokia seeds and still have the claim that it is the World's Hottest. They are good hard working farmers who don't keep up on the worlds hottest superhot b.s. every day like we do, so plz don't flame them for that if you visit their site. :P
The seeds purchased late December: http://www.hatch-chi...productid=28775

Says they are "certified seeds" but not sure what that means. Supposed to be medium/hot. The seed packet itself says medium. I have a scan of the package I would paste here, but don't know how to do that.......

But they are less than mild in my opinion; at least so far. Only planted about 60 days ago and will wait to pick them till more mature and see what heat is then.

Southwardbound, you got them from a great source. I cannot reproduce their quality and heat when I grow their chiles in Seattle. Environmental conditions have lots to do with it. That is why I go to their farm in Hatch/Salem and get several hundred pounds in late August or early September every year.

Southwardbound, you got them from a great source. I cannot reproduce their quality and heat when I grow their chiles in Seattle. Environmental conditions have lots to do with it. That is why I go to their farm in Hatch/Salem and get several hundred pounds in late August or early September every year.
That's good to know. Unfortunately, I cannot go to the source! Environment apparently does have a profound influence.

Do you think if we buy the hotter variety, it would be medium grown here?

Seriously, several hundred pounds??? Do you mind sharing why and what you do with them?

I grew up just a few miles from Hatch and also lived in New Mexico for many years. Eating chiles for most New Mexicans is a big part of the culture...a way of life. I eat chiles every day. Lots of it. Even though I live over a thousand miles away, I will always have my yearly supply in the freezer :rolleyes: . My family and I use the New Mexico types of chiles for enchiladas and rellenos. We dice it, blend it, eat them whole, and make sauces out of it. We put it in almost everything we can. I am a chile addict. :rolleyes:

I grew the Lumbre in Seattle last year and they came out pretty hot. Not as hot as the one's grown in Hatch. Sent some to windchicken and I think he thought they were pretty hot also. Sandia also can be hot. Good luck.

Screenshot2011-09-29at92905AM.png

Some Lumbres I grew in Washington last year.

Screenshot2011-09-29at92657AM.png

I grew up just a few miles from Hatch and also lived in New Mexico for many years. Eating chiles for most New Mexicans is a big part of the culture...a way of life. I eat chiles every day. Lots of it. Even though I live over a thousand miles away, I will always have my yearly supply in the freezer :rolleyes: . My family and I use the New Mexico types of chiles for enchiladas and rellenos. We dice it, blend it, eat them whole, and make sauces out of it. We put it in almost everything we can. I am a chile addict. :rolleyes:

I grew the Lumbre in Seattle last year and they came out pretty hot. Not as hot as the one's grown in Hatch. Sent some to windchicken and I think he thought they were pretty hot also. Sandia also can be hot. Good luck.

Screenshot2011-09-29at92905AM.png

Some Lumbres I grew in Washington last year.

Screenshot2011-09-29at92657AM.png
Beautiful plants! I am impressed!
I grew up in Western Colorado eating lots of chills (Mexican food is one of my food groups) but not as many as you. My favorite food in life is Chile Verde made in the way it is in Colorado. It's basically a pork & chili stew but has tomatoes in it and kind of watery; eat it with a flour tortilla. I would have that for breakfast every day if I could. That's why I NEED to grow Neumex Chilis here. Withdrawal!!

I'm gonna one-up this conversation. Dr. Paul Bosland(NMSU Chile Pepper Institute) released the Numex 'Heritage' Big Jim 2 years ago. What you may have are the standard Big Jim's BUT... the Heritage Big Jim's are one of the varieties that I am growing now just as I did last year in their maiden-release year while I was in northern NM last year.

I am curious as to what elevation you're growing these Big Jim's? I am also curious as to how close you may be to the ocean.

Such factors play a very large role in the heat and quality of the chiles being grown. The Heritage Big Jim's were developed at having a higher heat level.

Mine in New Mexico last year were the hottest I've had in northern NM with the exception of varieties being grown for heat(ie: Lumbre, Barker's etc). If they're being grown within 50 miles of a coastline or below 4000 feet you've achieved the result of low-elevation with a moist growing habitat.

Back