Moonshine machine

hang on a second - if it's for making distilled water, how come it's called a vodka distiller???

let me know how it goes because if it's ok, I'm going into the bourbon (flavoured water) business - though first I have to get the purchase approved by the Minister Of Finance. on second thoughts, how about I buy the spirit flavour and you just make it for me... :lol:

looks pretty sweet..i've never thought of making my own liquor. i think i'd fall of the face of the earth if i could. :lol:

on a side not, i've heard you can take cheap vodka and run it through one of those brita filter pitchers a few times and it really cleans up the vodka. haven't tried it so i can't say it works for sure, i do trust the person that told me though.

xgrafcorex said:
on a side not, i've heard you can take cheap vodka and run it through one of those brita filter pitchers a few times and it really cleans up the vodka. haven't tried it so i can't say it works for sure, i do trust the person that told me though.

They did it on mythbusters and concluded that you can make vodka better with a Brita, but after the cost of the filters and such it isn't worth it.

imaguitargod said:
Jesus Christ! $400!

I'll stick with my two beakers connected with a copper tube set up.

I did a deal with the guy at the brewing store, got everything I need to make my first 25 litres of mash (= around 6 litres of bourbon) for 470

DevilDuck said:
Yeah, but that's Aussie $. It's like $5.50 US.

Not any more DD, we're almost on a par with the USD...or rather the USD has come down to meet us :cool:

xgrafcorex said:
once you got good at making it how you like it, it would pay for itself.

Around 12 - 15$/liter sounds good to me.

I have about 13 gallons of fantastic beer brewing and it cost me about $60 (USD). That is about 130 beers. I guess it depends on what you like to drink. For me it was an easy choice.

Lol. That sounds logical!

Drunken Idiot - " I don't understand why I have no money!!! I've saved over eight thousand dollars this year on vodka alone!"

Just head toa brew shop and get a regular no frills still. Tell the guy you're using it to extract essential oils or something. No big deal. Or, I've noticed local welding shops tend to hsave plans laying around and can generally knock one out in short order. it's not hard at all.

Well I got a few months supply of 'purified water' stashed away so I've got a bit of time to try some things.
The thing that immediately comes to mind is doing a batch of Hab Vodka. I was thinking of just dicing up & throwing a kilo of Habs into the mash. Does Does anyone know if the 'purifier' would remove the capsaicinoids? Its an autopilot machine so I can't vary the temp. from 78 C {172F}.

One of our band members has cousins in East Texas that make their own "shine". It is the smoothest shine I have ever tasted. Back in Mississippi, we just called it "corn licker". Got a quart mason jar sitting in my garage right now. That stuff will make you see things you never thought of.

AlabamaJack said:
One of our band members has cousins in East Texas that make their own "shine". It is the smoothest shine I have ever tasted. Back in Mississippi, we just called it "corn licker". Got a quart mason jar sitting in my garage right now. That stuff will make you see Jesus.

I don't know about seeing the big J, but it sure is good for the soul lol

You know, I used to know a fair number of folks who made their own 'shine, and some of them made it well enough that it didn't burn the lining of your mouth off when you tied to sip it. After watching them use it in place of lighter fluid to start a grill once, I decided I's stick to the beer.

Pam said:
You know, I used to know a fair number of folks who made their own 'shine, and some of them made it well enough that it didn't burn the lining of your mouth off when you tied to sip it. After watching them use it in place of lighter fluid to start a grill once, I decided I's stick to the beer.

That's why they call it sippin' whiskey...:lol:

I like some good Shine! A buddy of mine who grew up in the styx occasionally visits home and brings me a jar.

I was drinking some shine and gingerale (if you haven;t tried it, don't! it is too adictive) one night when "The shining" came on TV.
The old black chef tells the kid "there are people who shine, not everyone shines" and I was sitting there thinking "Hell, I guess I' m shining pretty good right about now!"

Watch out Bent, Capsaicin is so soluble in alcohol(as opposed to vinegar) A dab will do you. Unless you want true fire water.

Back