• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf Curl Issue, thoughts, insight, HELP!

I have been growing a couple tobasco's in the basement under some LED's since January. The grow has been going great until a few days ago. All the plants look fine except the top few leaves of one plant. I ended up jsut cutting them off a few minutes ago. The curl up is what they looked like before I cut them. Any thoughts, or advice would be greatly appreciated. plants are in an earthbox in coir media. I don't think over or under saturation is feasible as it is a wicking/selfwater but then again, I am not an engineer or scientist.

photo.jpg

In MOST cases, that's a deficiency of calcium. I just added some dolomite lime to my plants tonight because of some curling.

And :welcome: from Ohio!

Before you add any lime to your soil make sure that it isn't going to throw your pH level way out of whack! Look into some CalMag or oyster shell that won't affect your pH balance. Good luck!!

over watering/ edema is also another cause of leaf curl. Check for small white bumps on the underside of your leaves. If you see this, then your plant/s have edema. If not then it's most likely lack of cal. Cal/mag is good to buy in this case

yeah it's kind of hard to see in the pics, on some of the bottom ones it almost looks like it could have some bumps on the bottoms, but if not then Cal-Mag it up! and actually the domolite lime or whatever, someone said on another thread that if you take that, and mix it with white vinegar, enough so it dissolves or close to it, that it will create the calcium asciatate (sp?) sorry, I can't remember exactly, or spell very well, but that was the idea, and I'm too lazy to look for the thread lol, but there should be plenty info if you google that combo, that way, I think, it won't throw off your pH

edit: and that is of course, if you don't have the money for the Cal-Mag, or want to save the money.. I use the Botanicare or whatever, Cal-Mag and love it.. but it is a tad pricy, might give the lime and vinegar a try when I run out of it for this summer with the big pots or some places around yard or something like that.

over watering/ edema is also another cause of leaf curl. Check for small white bumps on the underside of your leaves. If you see this, then your plant/s have edema. If not then it's most likely lack of cal. Cal/mag is good to buy in this case
What can you do if you think you have edema?

What can you do if you think you have edema?

First, confirm it is edema. Edema is a blister type growth on either the bottom or top of the leaves, usually the older ones.

It is a physiological condition so there is no spray or anything. It occurs when the plant takes in more water than it can use. Overwatering, watering on cool cloudy days, soil that doesn't drain well, etc. If the appearance bothers you, then the leaves can be removed. Othewise, the leaves can stay.

bonemeal is good, but it just takes a long time to break down, and from what I have been told before, unless you have some soil from outside with all the microbes and stuff in it (like if you try using sterile potting soil, there's nothing really in there) so it won't really break down, but if it does, I was told it can take like a month to break down to be usable.

First off I would suggest you stop cutting the leaves off because they don't look good. If they're green then they're doing the job they were designed to do. Then try the calcium fix. Good luck.

Back