• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Proof That Peppers Do Well In A Moist Climate!

I've no idea who this guy is but I stumbled across these pictures on Flickr while looking for something else. I was blown away by them. This guy is hard-core! For all I know it's someone on this forum so if these were taken by you- my hats off to you. Good job!

I was very concerned when I'd made the move from the dry climate of northern New Mexico to sea-level and what its effect on chile plants would be. This guy's growing Chimayo's right on the water and they're doing GREAT!!!

hardcoregrower.jpg

By fuseboxshot at 2012-04-21

hardcoregrower2.jpg

chimayo3.jpg

chimayo2.jpg

Growing peppers next to the water is not really growing them in a moist enviroment, peppers can grown anywhere warm and do better if watered moderately.

The guy has some nice plants though.....

I live in one of the most humid regions of the US (Southeast coast) and my plants do fantastic in the summertime. It's almost tropical rainforest weather where I live, but the plants LOVE it.

West central florida reporting in...

83% humidity today, and I can't say as thats all that un-usual... My adopted sister came from Mi, to live with us in the late 80s, early 90s, and she hated florida because the humidity made her big hair smaller.
Further, I live on the coast.

Point being that these plants of ours are rather adaptable. So long as you don't soak them, they grow well most places... I am sort of dreading the start of summer here, not only because of the insane heat, but also because of the daily rains... I suspect they might start getting over watered, and that there will be little I can do about it.

Thanks for your input everyone. I have 6 different landraces of seed that I'd brought from New Mexico and of all of the research that I've done and people I've spoken with I was repetitively informed that they wouldn't do well at sea level nor in a moist climate. News to me.

C. frutescens are more of a tropical plant. Datils are also wild in Florida which has crazy humidity. Florida is at sea level and moist as hades! I'm very close to the ocean on the south part of the East Coast which is at sea level and they do great here. It certainly isn't tropical like southern Florida though!

Don't a lot of chilies come from the Caribbean?

A lot of the very hot peppers do! Good observation +1

West central florida reporting in...

83% humidity today, and I can't say as thats all that un-usual... My adopted sister came from Mi, to live with us in the late 80s, early 90s, and she hated florida because the humidity made her big hair smaller.
Further, I live on the coast.

Point being that these plants of ours are rather adaptable. So long as you don't soak them, they grow well most places... I am sort of dreading the start of summer here, not only because of the insane heat, but also because of the daily rains... I suspect they might start getting over watered, and that there will be little I can do about it.

From my experiences in south Florida it rains a lot but also dries fast. I'm curious to how the peppers like that sort of climate. If it becomes a problem, you could give them some cover from the rain. Also if it's a problem, maybe pots are a good idea and could be moved out of the hot sun and rain. I'm sending my grandmother some tabasco (I'm thinking they will like south Florida's climate) plants and cayennes. I think they will do fine there in the shade.

Made me go & check the climate for most of the super hots, very similar climate to where im living.

Trinidad and Tobago well within the tropics, both enjoy a generally pleasant maritime tropical climate influenced by the northeast trade winds. In Trinidad the annual mean temperature is 26 °C (78.8 °F), and the average maximum temperature is 34 °C (93.2 °F). The humidity is high, particularly during the rainy season, when it averages 85 to 87%. The island receives an average of 2,110 millimeters (83.1 in) of rainfall per year, usually concentrated in the months of June through December, when brief, intense showers frequently occur. Precipitation is highest in the Northern Range, which may receive as much as 3,810 millimeters (150 in). During the dry season, drought plagues the island's central interior. Tobago's climate is similar to Trinidad's but slightly cooler. Its rainy season extends from June to December; the annual rainfall is 2,500 millimeters (98.4 in)

Mezo.

Back