• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Making Rooster Sauce

Hey! Has anybody made their own sriracha? I made some but never really got a smooth consistency. Although I really don't mind seeing little bits of garlic and chili I was trying for that store-bought smoothness.
The recipe I used:
1/2 a jar of peeled garlic cloves
habaneros
dried red chilis
1 Tab salt
vinegar to cover
Combine and steep for a week or so, run through food processor and refrigerate.
I guessed at the proportions but the color is right, I haven't tried it yet but it sure smells potent.
TIA!

The brand I have at home lists sugar and fish sauce as ingredients. But how much?
I compared mine with the store bought and they're close. Mixed some into my chicken soup and it was very good.
I'm going to try running it through the blender but maybe if I fished out the solids and processed those first and gradually added the liquid the consistency would be better.

I think Siriacha uses a basic Thai Dragon type of chile...but I may be wrong. I also would like to dup this sauce as it is such a great all purpose sauce. I don't think Rooster though has sugar...I believe that is Sweet Chile Sauce like a Mae Ploy. Rooster to me is on the "dry" side of sauces. Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
I don't think Rooster though has sugar...I believe that is Sweet Chile Sauce like a Mae Ploy. Rooster to me is on the "dry" side of sauces. Cheers, TB.

I hate to call you on this, but the bottle I have in the fridge, the squeeze bottle with the green cap, lists sugar as the second ingredient.

I don't think "Rooster" sauce is overly sweet, but it does contain substantial sugar.

lamalu said:
The brand I have at home lists sugar and fish sauce as ingredients. But how much?

If they told you how to make it, they'd be out of business, wouldn't they? :lol:

You could always adjust it to your taste. Fish sauce really is remarkable stuff though, if you get a premium brand it won't be overpowering and will really complement other flavors. It also won't go bad if kept at room temp. after opened, so it doesn't take up fridge space.

TB - I thoughht it was weird that the recipe called for Habs, too. But I had some so I used them - I did use thai chilis for the dried in the recipe - they came from the oriental market so I'm not sure what kind they are.
If sugar is added I'm thinking it will have to be sugar syrup, otw it won't dissolve.
It's good now but will benefit from some tinkering.
Captain - I sincerely doubt that they will go out of business by revealing the proportions of the recipe - the economy is built on convenience - all of a sudden everyone is going to make their own sauce? I'm just one of those lunatics that has to try to make everything themselves.

heres a recepie I came across...funny to me no actual chinese family type peppers were used..
Fill a container half full with peeled garlic cloves. Fill the rest of the way with 2 (at least) habaneros and a mix of dried serrano and cayenne pods that have been stemmed but not seeded. Add 1 tablespoon of non-iodized salt and fill the container (to cover chile pods and garlic) with 5% strength white vinegar. Cider vinegar or wine vinegar will work but will give you a different flavour.

As the chile pods re-hydrate top up the liquid with water or vinegar. After a few days to a week of steeping in the vinegar dump the whole mess into the food processor or blender and puree until a smooth, thick consistency is reached. If the mixture is too thick it may be thinned with vinegar or water.

The resulting sauce is tangy, quite garlicky and very tasty. Mixed 50/50 with tomato sauce (American catsup) it makes a very nice seafood coctail sauce. Or ir can serve as a salsa on tortilla chips. It's very versatile.

Chuk...just checked my bottle of Rooster and you are indeed correct. Sugar is the second ingredient. I guess I never thought of it as a "sweet" sauce. I am such a loser! You wonder why I drink. Cheers, TB.

just ate at this place called BD's Mongolian Grill..they had that rooster sauce there...put a healthy dose of that on there. the place is set up so you grab a bowl, pick out a meat (or several different ones), then vegetables, finally you choose sauces and seasonings before you hand the bowl over and they cook it up really fast on a very hot grill. mine had a lot of peppers and other spicy seasonings and sauce...made the cook choke a bit while cooking mine. :hell:

oh yea, and that sauce is great..i'd like to take a shot at making some of my own.

chilliman64 said:
sriracha is one of the all-time great sauces, if you like garlic...

that could be why I like it soo much im not a sweet fan but lean more on the garlic(yes its a sweeter sauce) but hell im hooked.I buy some of the imitation sauces and man they are way too sweet for my liking

Back