• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Cutting back for over winter

How far back should I cut the plant down to? I cut it to about 12" high and left some of the thicker side branches on I also didnt remove any of the root system. Should I remove more than that?

This worked.....

tepin1.jpg

and so did this.....

sivlui4.jpg

Note that roots were almost removed for both plants.

Regarding cutting back the roots - do you guys pull them up from the ground or knock the dirt off of them if they are in containers, then trim them? And afterward, do you put them in potting soil or something like top soil so they can "re-root" before they die?

Mine was in a large 5 gal container. I cut the rootball to the size I wanted with a shovel and repotted it in a smaller container(?3 gal maybe) with new soil. Now it will take up less room and will have some room to grow new roots.

Willard you are growing that in a Hydroponic system for the winter correct?

This will be in soil until I can build a system. Should I just keep to the main "trunk" line and trim the side branches off and lop it down to ~6" or so? It has more than 10 inches of a root ball should I trim it in half as well?

You don't need to cut back so drastically. Last year I didn't cut back roots and plants did fine, just that they take up a lot of space. The tops usually die off for me anyways so I just save time and cut way back.

It is my opinion that, if you cut from the top, you should cut an equal amount from the roots to keep the plant in balance.

I grow in hydro year 'round and these plants were cut back to see how far a chile could be cut back.

Omri -- I want a head start for next year as my growing season was very slow this year. This particular Piquin plant grew over 6ft tall and over 4ft wide wider if I didnt have a tomatoe cage around it. These peppers were outstanding IMO so I want to have a full season with them

I was quite excited about it as it was the that broke my cherry as it were. My first to germinate and first to flower and pepper. I've grown attached to it. Honestly I want a head start. I will be starting seed in a couple of months, that will give me something to do in the winter.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

Mine was in a large 5 gal container. I cut the rootball to the size I wanted with a shovel and repotted it in a smaller container(?3 gal maybe) with new soil. Now it will take up less room and will have some room to grow new roots.

It is my opinion that, if you cut from the top, you should cut an equal amount from the roots to keep the plant in balance.
I grow in hydro year 'round and these plants were cut back to see how far a chile could be cut back.

Thanks, that's good info. We've trimmed back plants for overwintering, but not so severely. It would be nice to save some space and lighting expenses. Do you (Willard & Potawie) use any fertilizer(s) or cal-mag supplements during the winter, or is good potting soil enough?
b

I see your white ammo is a pale yellow, too. Great taste. Are the Chupetinhos related to Cheiro Recife? or Cumari O Passarinho?

Thanks again for the overwintering info. I will try "extreme trimming" on a few plants I brought in for ripening: St. Lucia, Red & Yellow Datil, Tobago Seasoning, and Malagueta. They were going to get composted as soon as the last pods ripened anyway, might as well try it out.
b

The white ammo pods seem to turn from pale yellow to white when mature. I don't think the chupetinha is closely related to the others mentioned. What is the St. Lucia pepper's flavor like, I've always wanted to try that one.

What kind of pigment or substance can make a pepper white? :O
Wouldn't a white Naga Morich be awesome? :D

setzuanfire said:
Do you (Willard & Potawie) use any fertilizer(s) or cal-mag supplements during the winter, or is good potting soil enough?

I am growing year 'round in a hydro greenhouse, so my chiles don't go dormant but produce fruit in winter, too.

I am an extreme advocate of very little fertilizer for chiles under all circumstances.

Back