• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Home-made sausages

well I'm almost ready to make my first batch of snags. I bought a George Foreman grinder on the weekend, now I'm just waiting on my mail order collagen casings to arrive. the grinder has a sausage nozzle, I figure this will be easier to use than my LEM Jerky Cannon.

the last thing I need is a recipe! I've been thinking of a beef sausage to start with, something with no garlic... anyone have a tried and tested recipe?

:)I'm in the same boat, waiting for my casings and other LEM products to arrive so I can try my first venison sausage. What kind of sausage are you planning on making, there are just so many kinds. I plan on making fresh sausage as well as some smoked and some snack sticks. The venison jerky is going fast so I hope the sausages work out too.:P

Hey guys just made some vensison Brats and Sausage this past weekend. I have made a few different varieties. I use primarily use pork and add other meats into as well as pork has a nice fate content. I cut the meat and send thru the grinder with a 1/4" die and after mixing I send it back with the same size die. As for recipes I have a link I'll post and an excell spreadsheet where you can plug numbers in.
I use natural casings so I dont know the taste or variety. I rinse them because they are salt cured then leavein a bath of tsp vinegar and water to make them pliable and virtually clear looking.
I cant attach the file so here is a link http://www.sausagemania.com and another good one http://www.3men.com/sausage.htm#Polish Sausage

Have fun they are the only ones I'll eat... now if I can get a good frankfurter one I will be very happy

I made my first batch yesterday - South African boerewors (with a few extras thrown in)

1.3kg beef
750g rindless bacon
150ml water
150ml white vinegar
2TB hickory liquid smoke
1ts salt
1ts black pepper
1/2 ts nutmeg
1ts coriander
1/2ts prague powder
5TB potato powder (Deb)

coarse grind then stuffed into 32mm collagen casings. you'll notice I didn't add any habs etc, I thought I'd give it a go without in case they don't turn out I can still give them to our dogs. I know the liquid smoke and potato powder are not in true boerewors but I like smoky jerky and all the liquid made me think I should add some binder, and I like potato (might experiment with dried potato...).

I'm just about to have some with eggs for breakfast - I'll let you know how they turn out.

thanks for the contributions all!

well, the grinder and the grinding process went well. stuffing the casings was a little fiddly but as a total newb I don't suppose I can expect to be a pro first time.

I did a bit of a cookup with some eggs for brekkie, the result... I was a touch underwhelmed by the lack of flavour, next time I think I'll leave the liquid smoke out and double the seasonings (except the salt) and probably reduce the bacon somewhat, maybe even throw in some breadcrumbs as it was a bit crumbly. look at me, I'm already making modifications! :lol:

for my first go I've gotta say that I'm pleased with the outcome. now I've got about 2kgs of snags to eat and then I can make my next batch.

btw - I took a look at Rytek Kutas' book and ordered it from alibris.com, thanks for the advice Casey!

hey Luckydog, I 'found' these frankfurter recipes - I hope they are ok!

1 - Beef Frankfurters

5 lbs fine ground beef chuck
1 cup nonfat dry milk
3 TB coriander
1.5 ts mace
1.5 ts cayenne
5 cloves pressed garlic
1.5 ts salt
2 ts sugar
1/3 cup grated onions
1 cup water

combine all ingredients, mix well and stuff into lamb or hog casing. it's not necessary to precook but if you decide to, bring to a boil and simmer for ten minutes. rinse in cold water

2 - Frankfurters

3 feet sheep or small hog casing
1 lb lean pork
0.75 lb lean beef
0.75 lb pork fat
1 ts ground coriander
1 ts sweet paprika
0.5 ts ground mustard seed
0.25 ts ground mace
0.25 ts dried marjoram
0.25 cup finely minced onion
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 TB kosher or coarse salt
1 ts freshly ground white pepper (medium grind)
1 egg white
0.25 cup milk

blend coriander, paprika, mustard seed, mace, marjoram, onion and garlic. puree until smooth, then add sugar, salt, pepper egg white and milk and mix thoroughly.

fine grind meats and fat and mix them together and then freeze for 30mins and then fine grind again.

next combine meat and seasoning mix and mix thoroughly then freeze for 30mins then stuff into casings. twist into six-inch links but do not separate. bring a large pot of water to a gentle simmer, add links and parboil on a gentle simmer for 20mins. next drain franks and submerge them in ice water and chill thoroughly. remove, pat dry and refrigerate. can now be refrigerated for up to one week due to precooking or frozen for up to 2 months. to serve just reheat until warmed through

*Disclaimer - I have not cooked either recipe*

enjoy!!!

chilliman64 said:
well, the grinder and the grinding process went well. stuffing the casings was a little fiddly but as a total newb I don't suppose I can expect to be a pro first time.

I did a bit of a cookup with some eggs for brekkie, the result... I was a touch underwhelmed by the lack of flavour, next time I think I'll leave the liquid smoke out and double the seasonings (except the salt) and probably reduce the bacon somewhat, maybe even throw in some breadcrumbs as it was a bit crumbly. look at me, I'm already making modifications! :lol:

for my first go I've gotta say that I'm pleased with the outcome. now I've got about 2kgs of snags to eat and then I can make my next batch.

btw - I took a look at Rytek Kutas' book and ordered it from alibris.com, thanks for the advice Casey!

Sounds promising CM64. How far away are the Hab sausages?

How have I missed this thread!?! I have purchased my grinder, but have been too busy selling the dogs on the street to have a chance to make any. I have been thinking of a smoked seafood sausage as well as just having ball shoving meat and spices in a casing (it's how I cook best!). I will continue to read up on all your progresses and jumpp in when I finally get going.

Thanks Chilliman64 ... I have something similar but I will try one of'em soon.
Tell us how the book is when you get it.

I have been intrigued by Cajun Boudin Sausage
Cajun Boudin Sausage Recipe

1 1/2 lbs Pork Steak
1/2 lb Very Fresh Pork liver (not frozen), rinsed
1 Medium Onion, Coarsely chopped
3 Garlic Cloves
2 Bay Leaves
1 Sprig Fresh Thyme
Water to cover by 1 inch
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
2 Cups Uncooked Long grain Rice
1 Bunch Green Onions, thinly sliced
1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Italian Parsley
Cayenne to taste

Cut the pork steak and liver into 2 inch pieces and place in a large saucepan, along with the onion, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves. Cover with cold water by 1 1/2 inches. Season well with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer, skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Simmer for about 1 hour or until the meat is very tender. Remove the bay leaves, and thyme, then strain the solids from the broth, reserve the broth.
Grind the meats and cooked onion and garlic while they’re still hot, you could also chop this by hand.

For the Rice:
In a saucepan with a lid, combine the rice with 3 Cups of the reserved broth. Taste the broth for seasoning, if necessary season with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then down to very low heat and cover. Cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.

When the rice is cooked, combine it with the ground meat mixture, green onions, and parsley. Mix thoroughly and season to taste with Kosher salt, black pepper, and Cayenne

hopefully I'll have the book by end of next week, I'll do a light review of it here, or maybe start a sausage book thread.

that's a good looking recipe. unfortunately I'm not a big fan of liver...

Neither am I but when I saw it made it looked really good. The links I posted above have some unique sausage recipes in them and this looked interesting. The sausage tha tis on my must do list is an Andouille

4 Christmas Batches

Just made 4 - 5 lb. batches for the holidaze.
**"Devil Dogs"- The hottest sausages ever made- I think...
**Roasted Garlic and onion
**Sicilian Wine And Cheese w/ smoked habanero
**Hot Italian (Not crazy hot)

Have a smokin' hot holiday, friends!!

Caustic Casey said:
Just made 4 - 5 lb. batches for the holidaze.
**"Devil Dogs"- The hottest sausages ever made- I think...
**Roasted Garlic and onion
**Sicilian Wine And Cheese w/ smoked habanero
**Hot Italian (Not crazy hot)

Have a smokin' hot holiday, friends!!

That sounds sooooo goooood:drooling:

And a very Scoville Christmas to you & yours Casey

*we want recipes*we want recipes*we want recipes*

btw, I got the book and I'm working my way through it. I don't know if you've made your smoker yet BAN but if not let me know and I'll scan some pages and send them to you.

book looks good!

Back