• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My first hot sauce

Now that it's been sitting for about three weeks I can say that I'm pretty happy with my first ever attempt at hot sauce.
I used habanero, thai, and nice red jalapeno peppers, some salt and vinegar, and in a few bottles some of the tomato sauce from my garden.
Couldn't tell ya how many peppers or how much of the salt or vinegar, I was sort of making it up as I went along.

Tasted it today, and it is both scorchingly hot with some nice fruity and a bit of vegetal undertones.

Ended up with four bottles of hot sauce and two mason jars that I preserved by the usual canning method.

I couldn't have done it without a very sizable chunk of inspiration and ideas from this august body of pepper lovers.
My thanks to you all.

Still improving with time, seems to be getting hotter. I don't know if it's because I didn't filter out all of the lovely bits of pepper that came out of the blender, but the flavors and heat seem to be getting better and better.
I really can't wait to crack open one of the jars I preserved. Hopefully they're getting even better since they're not refridgerated.

Next year is going to be a ton of fun, I think I'm going to triple the size of my garden and make all the extra space just for hot peppers.

This forum rocks so hard and I love you guys and gals for opening my eyes to what I was missing.

one of the greatest joys I get from chiles (apart from growing them) is making my own sauce. it is what really got me into chiles in the first place.

as DD said above, you're now hooked whether you realise it or not!

as for what to put into your sauces, I recommend you think about what flavours you really like and try to incorporate them into your sauce-making. if there is a commercial sauce you like, try to imitate their recipe. surf the net for recipes, there are thousands - I once spent a rainy weekend surfing for hot sauce recipes and now have a collection of well over one hundred of the ones that I liked.

something that I do when trying a new sauce recipe is I make it up with all other ingredients but no chile to start with. that way if it's no good I don't waste my pods. you could substitute with capsicum/bell peppers if you want to.

it's all about finding something that YOU like but it's even better when you can say to family and friends "I made this"!!!

My first sauce when I made it...I didnt like how it turned out...I dumped the bigger woozie and cleaned/put it away for another day..the small one sat for a month or 2 in the fridge...opened it up the other day and damn what a difference..besides being too thick man it turned out great.....Ill have to make that sauce again and not give up so quick...I used garlic,onions,garlic,lol carrots and a few other items..oh did I mention garlic???lol

Back