• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dr Pepper pls help!

Well things are not looking good for my winter peppers.
I neglected to feed them for about 3-4 weeks.
This could be the problem but not sure.
Last week I feed them but does not look like they are getting better.

I don't see any signs of mildew.

What do you think?

They have had adequate water and have never been outside.

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

Then we'd better wait on one of the hydro folks to answer your questions. I know very little about hydro.

Although, it does occur to me that perhaps the coir is too acidic? That might affect nutrient uptake. Ah, well, best wait for someone who's not just guessing.

Pam said:
Then we'd better wait on one of the hydro folks to answer your questions. I know very little about hydro.

Although, it does occur to me that perhaps the coir is too acidic? That might affect nutrient uptake. Ah, well, best wait for someone who's not just guessing.

Coco coir is supposed to be neutral.
I grew lots of plants this summer with coco coir with great results.
The fert I've been using for some time also with great results.

My tomato plants are also affected but my magical micheal basil plants look very healthy.
Could be somethig affecting peppers and tomatoes but not basil.

basil.jpg

Hmmm....I seem to recall the leaf discoloration from a distant biology lecture. You can pinpoint the mineral deficiency by whether it is the new leaves or old ones that are discolored. By the looks of your plants, it is the older leaves that are affected.
Don't have my biology text with me, but it would almost have to be either potassium or magnesium that isn't getting absorbed.
I'll look it up for you this weekend.

What're the numbers on the fertilizer?

Is there anything you can think of in the environment that was different, like a really hot day or really low humidity? Have you checked for bugs even if they've never been outside?

When you say enough water, what do you mean? Are you losing blossoms or fruit?

You know, it took more than a week for them to get that way, it may take more than a week for them to recover. Some of the leaves look like low nitrogen, but a few in the first picture have necrotic spots on them, and that's not a symptom of nitrogen deficiency. I'm tired, and I'll have to think about this.

[quoteMy tomato plants are also affected but my magical micheal basil plants look very healthy.
Could be somethig affecting peppers and tomatoes but not basil.[/quote]

Those are beautiful basil plants! Basil certainly has different nutritional needs than peppers or tomatoes, and wouldn't be susceptible to all the same diseases, either.

Hmmm... Pam, relax it's ok.

The plants do look pretty healthy besides a little discoloring. Try going back to your normal feeding routine and see what happens.

any leaf drop? Do the leaves look dirty on the underside? Odd on first pic leaves are curled down the last few they are curled up. Have you treated with insecticide at all?

I think DD is on the money though give'em a little bit to bounce back could be the intial shock of the fertilizer.

Im not a hydro dude yet so.... my .02

LUCKYDOG said:
any leaf drop? Do the leaves look dirty on the underside? Odd on first pic leaves are curled down the last few they are curled up. Have you treated with insecticide at all?

Yeah, that's what was confuzzling my weary brain last night. Some of the symptoms look nutritional, while the third picture down...the first one of a leaf closeup? That looks like it could be insect damage.

Hey, habman, try pinching off the tip of a branch showing syptoms, include some new and old leaves, and throw it in some rubbing alcohol or vodka. Shake it up, and see if you see any teeny insects.

LUCKYDOG said:
any leaf drop?
Yes big time!

The first pic is an alma paprika up until 2 weeks ago this guy was very happy.
no flower drops and lots of peppers.

The second pic is of a Giant thai.
That sucker was producing lots of flowers and peppers. but now almost all the leaves have dropped and the new leaves and flowers dry out.

LUCKYDOG said:
Do the leaves look dirty on the underside?

Nope nothing special.

LUCKYDOG said:
Odd on first pic leaves are curled down the last few they are curled up. Have you treated with insecticide at all?

No, nothing was ever sprayed on them.

LUCKYDOG said:
I think DD is on the money though give'em a little bit to bounce back could be the intial shock of the fertilizer.

Im not a hydro dude yet so.... my .02

could be, I sure hope so.

Pam said:
Hey, habman, try pinching off the tip of a branch showing syptoms, include some new and old leaves, and throw it in some rubbing alcohol or vodka. Shake it up, and see if you see any teeny insects.

Will try it tonight.
So put leaves in alcool and drink a shot of vodka...hmm I like your style :-)

Too much moisture. Not enough air, coir too dense. Roots died.
Pepper plants breathe more through their roots, so they need a looser non-compacting medium to grow in like orchids do.
Basil can regenerate roots faster, and can live in a bunch of dead roots easier. Coleus too.

ABurningMouth said:
Too much moisture. Not enough air, coir too dense. Roots died.
Pepper plants breathe more through their roots, so they need a looser non-compacting medium to grow in like orchids do.
Basil can regenerate roots faster, and can live in a bunch of dead roots easier. Coleus too.

Ah, good catch! I wouldn't have considered that. I use coir, but as an additive, not all by itself.

So I should un-pot a plant and check the roots?

I did the alcool test last night.
No bugs, unless they are microscopic...
But I did have a nice buzz from the vodka...

If it's pythium, throw the plants out, sterilize everything that has been involved with the plants and start over. Pythium is a root disease and it gets everywhere, on pots, on your hands, on your equipment and etc.

Pythium can be controlled by treating all water that comes in contact with the plant with 1000 ppm hydrogen peroxide before use.

The mystery remains....

I unpotted the most affect plant, a Giant Thai pepper.
Roots look perfectly healthy.I did damage a good portion trying to get it out of the pot.

IMG_2940.jpg

Mystery? Well the roots do look healthy, but that's still the first breath of air they've had.
Ok now put it in a larger pot with a 35:65 mixture of your coir and perlite (or other chunky material-not small sand or vermiculite).
That's some dense stuff. Looks heavy.:(
It looks like you have about a pint of water there... not a good thing.:rolleyes:

Back