• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment bbq preserve ??????? Please help

i am making my own BBQ sauce and want to give it away in gift baskets for x-mas. I am trying to find out how you preserve the BBQ sauce with out any chemicals. Someone PLEASE HELP.

Do some googling on canning and see what that turns up. Or, if you're in the US, call or email your local extension office and they'll help you can your barbecue sauce safely.

tjwright said:
I dont plan on leaving. So fa I like this site alot. Do you happen to know how I would natrualy preserve my bbq sauce?

i think he meant the sauce, not you. ;) sorry i can't help..i haven't made my own sauce before. i'm sure someone here can help though.

oh, and welcome to the boards!

ok I feel like an idiot now I know u ment the sauce. canning is a great idea but I want it to last for a while after it is open. Wouldn't adding a lot of vinegar to it make it taste a lot like vinegar?

Vinegar is a key ingredient in BBQ sauce. Use apple cider vinegar and brown sugar and you'll have tasty, tangy BBQ sauce.

Like just about any condiment, it will last quite a while in the fridge after it's opened. The key is, in the fridge.

If you want to mail ( or put it in gift baskets) to people I would can it. I have posted the basic canning procedure on this board somewhere but if you go buy some Mason jars they will come with instructions. It ain't rocket science. if I can figure it out, I bet you can too.

Here is a recipe from the Ball Blue Book, which is kind of a canning bible. I would use this as a jumping off point and adjust the spices etc to your own taste.

Barbecue Sauce
Makes about 3 (16 oz) pints

You will need:
 20 cups chopped cored peeled tomatoes (about 21 medium)
 2 cups finely chopped onions (about 3 to 4 medium)
 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
 1 Tbsp hot pepper flakes
 1 Tbsp celery seeds
 1-1/2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
 1 cup white vinegar
 1/3 cup lemon juice
 2 Tbsp salt
 1-1/2 Tbsp ground mace or nutmeg
 1 Tbsp dry mustard
 1 tsp ground ginger
 1 tsp ground cinnamon
 3 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
Directions:
1.) COMBINE tomatoes, onions, garlic, hot pepper flakes and celery seeds in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently until vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
2.) TRANSFER mixture, working in batches, to a sieve placed over a glass or stainless steel bowl and press with the back of a spoon to extract all the liquid and pulp. This can also be done using a food mill. Discard solids.
3.) RETURN liquid and pulp to saucepan. Add brown sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, mace, mustard, ginger and cinnamon. Return to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened to the consistency of a thin commercial barbecue sauce, about 30 minutes.
4.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
5.) LADLE hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
6.) PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

When ever I make my BBQ sauces I use water bath canning method. They stay good for a long time and you just have to refridgerate after opening. My recipe uses apple cider vinegar and fresh squeezed lemon juice so they will last a long while in the fridge. But the sauces usually are gone in days soooo.......

Back