• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Dried Peppers --->Powder: Question

for the most part I used seeds and all I kept some seeds for growing purposes..I grind everything using a coffee grinder..man that coffee grinder is awsome for a fine powder

I usually leave seeds in just because its a pain to deseed. I ground some pequins the other day and I think there was more seed than pepper but it still ground down pretty good with the coffee grinder. Some have said the seeds add bitterness but I can't really tell, its just more difficult to grind finely.

I leave everything but the stem in and grind more into a flake than powder. I will be doing a Piquin powder batch soon myself that I am making into seasoning/rub

i wish i had a grinder to use..don't want to spice up my grandmas coffee. :hell: i tried using a mortar and pistil and it was just not working out too well. the skin of the habs seemed to be resisting. the first time i did that, i threw it all back in the dehydrator and let it go for a while. maybe i need a set made of stone rather than wood? so basically i just finely chop it up as i go.

for the most part, i deseeded the peppers as i was uncertain if they would increase dehydration time. now i think i should've just left all that good stuff in there for "hete's" sake. :P

how easily could i clean it so that the heat doesn't carry over into whatever is ground up next? i'm staying with my grandmas for a bit (not much longer it appears) so it would be with her blender. she can't take much heat at all.

Soap and water will clean it or throw it in the dishwasher... Take it apart should be okay use paper towels instead of a sponge

LUCKYDOG said:
Soap and water will clean it or throw it in the dishwasher... Take it apart should be okay use paper towels instead of a sponge

haha that was your post of the beast! :hell: (edit..or else you just posted elsewhere and i just saw this one hah)

sounds good..that will save me some time rather than mincing it as i go. thanks! :cheers:

i'm just between jobs and pretty much out of money, so i'm trying to curb spending on things i won't be able to use for long. after a few months i'll get it back..i figure i'll just wait till then. i already have all my belongings stashed between my grandmas house and my parents house hah.

the powder should have a better colour and higher heat if you remove the seeds, but it is fiddly and if you don't really care then leave them in. once you have dried chiles to the point where they can be effectively ground into powder, the seeds won't (read: probably won't though there is a very slight chance that they will) germinate due to their dryness.

Coffe grinders are very cheap, like $10+. You could use a blender but you'll likely get course flakes and you'd have a chile infused blender.:P Its best not to grind up everything right away since the color/flavor is best when freshly ground. Ya, just like coffee.:)

I bought a coffee grinder just for my peppers...well its my second one..I returned the first one..lolI feel sorry for the person that has a coffee outa that grinder lol

Back