• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dissecting the Heat

A weird thing that I have discovered... at least in my opinion. It seems that if you eat a pepper, and then wait for quite a while to drink anything, the heat level is more tolerable. At least that is how it was when I ate a hab last night. I am wondering if it is because the heat builds somewhat slowly, and gives your mouth a chance to adapt to it. When you drink milk, or something else, the heat is taken away for a second or two, and then comes back on strong, causing almost a shock to your receptors... which makes it seem much worse. Kind of like the frog/boiling water scenario. Anyone else notice this?

When I ate the habanero, it wasn't too bad... I went over 5 minutes, and really didn't feel the need to drink any milk. But I decided to drink some for the sake of my stomach. Once I drank the milk, the heat came on stronger [or so it seemed].

I feel similar. When I eat something hot, I prefer to not drink. I think drinking makes it feel hotter. Not to mention the pain you feel will trigger endorphins which will ease the pain and make you feel good. So the way I see it, the hotter the better and let it keep burning, because through the pain you will come out with pleasure.

Although today I did meet my match in a whole Brainstrain. I handled the mouth and throat pain, but it tore my stomach up big time. Gave a HUGE endorphin rush though. Was feeling pretty good until my stomach decided to evict the pepper.

I feel similar. When I eat something hot, I prefer to not drink. I think drinking makes it feel hotter. Not to mention the pain you feel will trigger endorphins which will ease the pain and make you feel good. So the way I see it, the hotter the better and let it keep burning, because through the pain you will come out with pleasure.

Although today I did meet my match in a whole Brainstrain. I handled the mouth and throat pain, but it tore my stomach up big time. Gave a HUGE endorphin rush though. Was feeling pretty good until my stomach decided to evict the pepper.
Ewwww.......that's just nasty!

i agree with you because i don't think you can rinse that oil off. oil mixed with fluid just makes the oil spread around more, not wash it away. you have to wipe oil dry off your hands. why wouldn't those capsicum oils do the same thing?

One thing to remember is that milk isn't simply washing the capsaicin oils away, it is breaking the bonds between the molocules and the cap receptors in your mouth. [If I understand the subject correctly, anyway] So, it does help temporarily... I am not claiming anything scientific about my original post in this thread, but just an observation... :D

Back