• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Has anyone used Air Pots?

I would not use them.

1. I would think they would be hard to clean.

2. If your grow medium already has high air porosity and macropores then there will be plenty gas exchange.

3. Not economical.

Get fabric geopots, they're 5-6$ and you can toss them in the washing machine at the end of the season. The root balls I've seen from those are more mind blowing than the "air pots". Annnnd, they have handles!

get good with your hydro shop toss them some peppers and stuff mine gives me employee pricing.

and yes they are great here is a shot of one i potted up from a 3 gal geo to a 7 gal geo. thats all roots liek a fluffy afro.

60cf06b1.jpg

After seeing these pots in a few glogs and then scanning info on them i decided to get one. Local shop offered a great deal on $.
I scored the liter size.
I'll hopefully be transplanting a pepper or two here in a few days.
Decided on this size to really test the root growth, if all goes well and i see an increase in growth above and below it may be time to upgrade the homes for my larger plants....
Let the test begin...
IMG_3524.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

I have a couple that i bought to try out. They work ok but they are to expensive for what you get. The fabric geopots are much better imo and what i have switched over to for my potted plants

Mike,
It gives me an idea. Why not take a five gallon pail or any container you own and drill holes all up and down the sides of it. Wouldn't it basically work the same. I noticed that the holes they have protrude in an outward cone shape. Maybe this is the one characteristic that would be hard to replicate, but is it totally necessary. I know one thing, I'm up to another experiment thanks to you!!!

Well so much for a few days until I repot a pepper..
I guess I'll have to call this a "Peter Pepper Enhancement Device" test.
The peter is 5 wks old and ready to move out.
IMG_3532.jpg

Pete's current residence in relation to his new home
IMG_3539.jpg

roots before air pot
IMG_3540.jpg

root bottom
IMG_3533.jpg

my mix
IMG_3544.jpg

new home
I'll post an infomercial if this works out...

post an info mercial if they don't work out.
My opinion is that they are better than the fabric pots because they don't dry out as quick and they are easier to get the rootball out. ... I still mainly use fabric pots because of costs.

Mike,
It gives me an idea. Why not take a five gallon pail or any container you own and drill holes all up and down the sides of it. Wouldn't it basically work the same. I noticed that the holes they have protrude in an outward cone shape. Maybe this is the one characteristic that would be hard to replicate, but is it totally necessary. I know one thing, I'm up to another experiment thanks to you!!!

Yes, drilling holes in a regular bucket would do nothing more than let most of the water seep out the sides. :lol:
Those cones are absolutely necessary as they trap the root causing it to dry and break off which allows root branching to occur. There is a good video on their website showing how it works.

I am wondering though if one could drill holes in the bucket and somehow warm the bucket enough and then hit the holes from the inside of the bucket with a ball peen hammer and create a nipple similar to the air pot?
Redneck engineering. ;) :lol:

Getting air to the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket would be beneficial in oxygen transfer to the roots also allowing any excess water to dry preventing root rot.

If you water enough for water to run out of a hole in the side of your container, you are watering far too much.

If you are growing weed there might be a cost to benefit ratio buying air pots, I cannot see that benefit as hobbyist pepper grower.

I have drilled holes in the sides of my containers and think there is an advantage to doing it.

Think about how easy they would be to clean.....

Think about why you do NOT see many nurseries or container production using them because they are just not the industry standerd. Using high porosity grow medium and standerd pots is the ONLY way to ensure gas exchange. A pot with a few holes at the bottom is all you need with a mix that has high air porosity.

When I first seen one in the hydroshop I laughed :rofl: .

Think about how easy they would be to clean.....

Think about why you do NOT see many nurseries or container production using them because they are just not the industry standerd. Using high porosity grow medium and standerd pots is the ONLY way to ensure gas exchange. A pot with a few holes at the bottom is all you need with a mix that has high air porosity.

When I first seen one in the hydroshop I laughed :rofl: .

They are easy to clean actually. Have you looked at their site?​
I guess the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew and Edinburgh and the Forestry Commission's Bedgebury Pinetum as well as many others have just been fooled by good salesmanship since they use them. :rolleyes:
It is a proven fact they are superior they are just not cost effective. Air pruning the roots leads to a larger root mass, something that standard pots cannot do. A standard pot can also cause a root bound condition, something that cannot happen with the air pot.​
They can grow some species of trees in them that could never be grown in any other container before. Fact not opinion.

What tree can not be grown in a reg pot only a air pot? I would like to know I happened to be quite familiar about container growing and that is funny to me!!! It is funny I wonder why some get into growing, o yea thats right.......

So what tree can only grow in an air pot when there is extremely high porosity grow medium like this.

081.jpg
082.jpg

Please tell me. People grow orchids, citrus, cacti, all in reg container some with NO holes.... I know so much about growing I can say right now I am 100% correct. I will grow any tree in a reg container with pine fine medium, or mid size bark chips, or other large partical grow media.....you know??????? O wait....

Back