• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

How many various species of plants in your yard?

We have a fair sized yard here although we are in the suburbs and don't have a full garden as some of you have.
I made a list from memory of what's in the yard. No wonder I never have any time. ;)

12 Roses, 1 Lavender, 3 Geraniums, 1 Ceanothus, 1 Camellia, 1 Rhododendron, multiple Italian Arum, 1 Ribes sanguineum, 10 Peppers, 5 Beefsteak Tomatoes, 5 Brandy-wine Tomatoes, 1 Snapdragon, 6 Holly Hock, 1 Holly Berry, 1 Romneya, 1 Bougainvillea, 17 tuberous Dahlias, 2 African Daisies, multiple Bearded Iris, 1 Hebe, 1 Calla Lily, 1 Spider Plant, 2 Cyclamen, 7 tuberous Begonias

Not Many as I Only have about 3 Cubic Yards of back Yard, Small apartment back yard
2 Miracle Fruits
10 Tomatoes
20 strawberries
5 Pepper varieties =/ (Not Many)
Dill, Basil, Parsley, Mint
1 Crabapple Seedling
1 Lemon Seedling
5 Roses
5 Watermelon/squash

around 136 species of hot pepper
2 species of sweet pepper
2 species of basil
2 species of heirloom tomato
spinach
swiss chard
red beets
gladiolus
english daisy
california poppy
lavender
purple coneflower
2 species of mint

this is so far

thanks your friend Joe

As the video goes around 1 rosemary, a bunch of strawberries, 3 roses, potted succulents, 1 spider plant, poppies, alyssum, thai pepper, jalepeno, marigolds around the rest of the border, 2 zucchini, yellow squash, 3 tomato, 2 cucumber, 5 string beans, 4 cherry tomato, a bunch of onions, garlic, asparagus, 1 megaton cabbage(had 3) and the rest of my peppers... I think thats it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUfGIpsb7Jc

I have all kinds of stuff...peppers, tomatoes, tomatillos, eggplant, swiss chard, a few kinds of lettuce, spinach, naranjilla, hybrid Asian/American persimmons, paw paws, mulberries, gooseberries, red, white, and black currants, blueberries, elderberries, figs, aronia, rosemary, 3 kinds of basil, parsley, cilantro, culantro, oregano, Cuban oregano, Mexican oregano, hoja santa, huacatay, mint, fennel, leeks, dill, marjoram, epazote, chives, Meyer lemons, kumquats, limequats, Bhudda's hand citron, blood oranges, starfruit, key lime, kaffir lime, broccoflower, pole beans, watermelon, squash, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, purple passionfruit, strawberry papaya, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

Even though I only have a standard subdivision sized lot, I have a ton of stuff crammed into the space. Let's see how much I can come up with off the top of my head.

Edibles:

Apple trees x 2 kinds
Peach tree
Grapevines
Currant bush
Strawberries
Rhubarb x 2 kinds
Oregano x 2 kinds
Thyme x 2 kinds
Chives
Garlic Chives
Lavender
Sage
Lemon Balm

Annual stuff - lettuce, peas, carrots, radishes, onions, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, basil x 5 kinds, summer savory, dill, parsley, marjoram, lemon grass, cumin, cilantro. Plus the stuff that hasn't been sown yet, such as cucumbers, melons, and pumpkins.

Non-edibles:

Achillea x 4 kinds
Alyssum
Columbine x 2
Wallflower - 2 kinds
Geum - 3 kinds
Rudbeckia - a couple different ones
Shasta daisy - 2 kinds
Feverfew
Ornamental Grasses - 3 kinds
Poppies - several kinds
Sedums - several kinds
Gaillardia - several kinds
Daylillies - many different ones
Oriental lilies - a couple different ones
Snapdragons
Dianthus - several
Echinacea - a couple
Butterfly Weed
Maltese Cross, Lychnis x 2 kinds
Berlandiera lyrata (chocolate flower)
Coreopsis x 3 kinds
Agastache
Kniphofia
Verbascum x 2 kinds
Numerous annuals sown from seed every year - petunias, marigolds, calendula, gazania, strawflower, nicotiana, scabiosa, and a few others.

Shrubs:

Kerria japonica
Physocarpus opulifolius

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff, but that's the bulk of it.

haha... well I will start with the stuff I hate first....

Crab Grass, austrailian pines, poison ivy, lantana (2 varieties) and Brazillian peppers. the rest of them, i like more or less :)

Orchids of a number of varieties, orange, persimmon, grapefruit, pear, tangerine, fig, pomegranate, citron, lemon, key lime, pecan, black walnut, golden rain tree (love these), cedar, pine, oak, live oak, palm tree, palmetto, 100 species of peppers, a half dozen varieties of tomatos, couple of lettuces, collard greens, green beans, pole beans, tomatillos (Recently started), a dozen or so herbs, strawberries, guava, cumquat, loquat, long necked summer squash, spaghetti squash, canteloup, watermelon (two varieties), eggplant, asparagus, pampass grass, mulberry, blueberry, collard greens, dogwood, magnolia, zuchini, onions, chives, pumpkin, pole beans, split leaf, alamanda, spider plant, jade, calla lilly, rain lilly, african daisy prickly pear, george washington palm, spanish dagger... There are more, but thats all I can think of, at least thats all the ones that are around intentionally...

Ken, proof that one man's trash is another (wo)mans treasure. I've always wanted to grow Lantana, but they aren't hardy to my zone. Plus, I've lost track of how many times the kids have asked me to plant an orange, banana, or pineapple tree, and I have to explain again that those things don't grow where it snows.

I thought of a few things that I left off of my list - Penstemon - 2 kinds, Solidago, Silene regia, Showy Goldeneye (Viguiera multiflora), Mums - several, tulips, and daffodils.

Which reminds me that I have banana's, and a pineapple :)...

Lantana is poisonous to horses (which we have), and - at least here in Florida - it grows like crazy... once its started in your yard it pops up everywhere else too... pulling it up doesn't kill it, the roots break off relatively easily, and then you end up with one new plant from each piece of root left in the ground... We have the orange, and blue varieties... It even smells bad to me, although that may be the hundreds of hours I've spent pulling it up, and then burning it later. lol

I as well fall into the "subdivision yard" category, but we try to make the most of it for sure! Like to go for the "what the heck is that!" feel, most properties around here are over-saturated with hostas, arborvitas, and junipers.

Perennials

Dawn Redwood
Austree Willow
Japanese Maple (Bloodgod)
Lilacs
Jack in the Pulpits
Toad Lily
Lily of the Valley
Ostrich Ferns
Spearmint
Naked Ladies
Peonies
Rattlesnake Master
Prairie Smoke
​Eastern Prickly Pear Cactus
Wild Columbine
Blood Grass
Variegated Porcupine Grass
Sauromatum Venosum (Voodoo Lily)

Annuals

Castor Plants (Red, Purple, & Green)
Josephs Coat
Lions Tail
Datura (White and Purple)
Ponytails
Kochia Grass
Purple Millet
Firecracker Vine
Variegated Morning Glory
Moon Flower

Things that I dig up for winter

Amorphophallus Konjac (Voodoo Lily)
Brugmansia
Pineapple Lily

And a bunch of Veggies

Interesting list, Tweak! You have a lot of shade lovers on that list, and than I saw the Prickly Pear Cactus, and it kind of threw me, LOL. Shade, that's something we don't have any of here ...

Ken, that Lantana sounds kind of like bindweed, my nemesis!

I have some shaded areas too that have nothing planted there.
I would like to get some beautiful Hostas and maybe a Brunnera or two like the 'Jack Frost' cultivar.

Iris, Fennel, Fenugreek, Parsley, Chives, about six kinds of tomatoes, roughly 20 kinds of peppers, radishes, peach tree, onions, potatoes, four kinds of basil, dill, coriander/cilantro, four kinds of cucumber, three kinds of squash, two or three kinds of watermelon, two or three kinds of carrots, garlic, curry plant, oregano, sugar peas, snow peas, two kinds of sage, mesquite, horse nettle (#$$#!), crab grass (#$#$!), "ghetto palm" (don't know the name but hate it), dandelions, chinese elm (#$#$!), and at least 20 other unidentified plants + assorted weeds.

I know I'm not going to remember everything. 20 tomato plants, 5 blueberry bushes, fig tree, 2 persimmons, parsley, sage, basil,
oregano, lemon verbena, stevia, pineapple sage, eggplant, garlic, egyptian walking onions, cilantro, lemon grass, mint, of course
peppers, asparagus.
Flowers: bee balm, aster, foxglove, rudbeckia, nicotania, phlox, agastache's, saliva's, verbenia, daylilly's, clematis, buddelia, milkweed,
penstemon, cardinal flower, paw paw tree, japanese maple, honeysuckle, roses, iris's, zebrina malva, vitex, lavender, mexican petunia,
mountain mint.

Tweak, have you tried the fruits on your eastern prickly pear? I've thought about growing those because prickly pears are one of my favorite fruits and I want to make wine with them, but in the pictures I've seen the fruit look much smaller and skinnier with less pulp and juice than the western/less hardy ones. I've done a lot of googling trying to see if there is a cultivar of the eastern kind that produces good fruit but haven't had much luck finding any information. Someone needs to get to breeding them for fruit. At least they're pretty cheap at the Mexican grocery stores.

Tweak, have you tried the fruits on your eastern prickly pear? I've thought about growing those because prickly pears are one of my favorite fruits and I want to make wine with them, but in the pictures I've seen the fruit look much smaller and skinnier with less pulp and juice than the western/less hardy ones. I've done a lot of googling trying to see if there is a cultivar of the eastern kind that produces good fruit but haven't had much luck finding any information. Someone needs to get to breeding them for fruit. At least they're pretty cheap at the Mexican grocery stores.

Prickly pear grows here in abundance. Seems like every fourth house is surrounded by it in some parts of the city. I see hundreds of pounds of fruit rot away every year, although I also see people filling shopping bags with it sometimes. A friend of a friend makes some tasty jelly with it.

The leaves are tasty too when picked at a young stage. They sell them in the markets here and some people say a good breakfast starts with cactus and eggs. (Nopalitos con huevos)

Nice nick btw. Possibly my favorite series ever.

highalt - what an impressive list!! I would love to see some of those flowers growing in my garden! If you're ever up for a seed/plant trade, Just let me know! This summer I'm trying to get rid of a gazillion grape hyacinths. So far not much has worked, even digging, digging, digging them out. I need more patience.

Back